Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Pops15 View Post
    I've been to my share of races that were over by 10:30 and I stuck around and socialized until 2:00 or 3:00 AM, but yes, 11:00 is too late for a weekly show. A track that normally runs that late will lose fans eventually. Hardcore fans will stick around to 11:00 or after IF the racing is really good but running that late will cause many fans to find an alternative for their Saturday night entertainment. I can't think of a track that can afford to lose those fans.
    Promoters need to wrap up their shows by 10:15 or 10:30 at the latest.
    I don't mind an occasional late show, if there is RACING to keep me entertained. I can't handle a 5-6 hour show which includes water trucks, graders, pack trucks, tractors, slow tow trucks and/or drivers that throw fits delaying the show. I understand the need for track prep at bigger shows, but fans should not be expected to sit thru that to see a weekly show with shorter races and less cars. My attention span for a typical weekend race is 3, maybe 3 1/2 hours. After that, I need something either ice cold or with a nice chest.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubstr View Post
    I always say,"come early, stay late and have a good time." Did you ever pay $30 plus for a ticket to a 2 class show, get out by 9.30 and feel short changed? Seems some would complain if they got hung with a new rope.
    if its great racing id be happy. dont care how long just not 1 lane track i will wait 2hours for great show

I did attend a weekly Summer Nat. show this year that started at 6:00 and was over by 9:00. I had to work the next morning so I had no problem with that.

I say week days, 10:00. 10:30 at the latest.

Weekends, 11:00 - 11:30.
    8/13/16

Quote Originally Posted by Pops15 View Post
    Skids,
    FALS lack of hustle was a factor in my decision to not attend the ALMS show. Back when they had a curfew the FALS crew ran an incredibly efficient show. Not the case now.

CIRF,
    We were at the POWRi event last September that you mentioned. It was brutal. Part of the problem was they had much of a previous rain shortened POWRi show to make up. Part of the problem was too many support classes, especially considering the extra POWRi races that had to be run. And part of the problem was MANY cautions caused by a few drivers. POWRi NEEDS a 2 spin rule!
    Week in and week out there's not a promoter in the region that runs a more efficient show than Sargent. I remember a POWRi midget and micro show at Macon that included mods, sportsman, ss, and 2 or 3 classes of hornets. 225+ cars in all and they were done by 10:45.

Highside Hustler25,
    That's the attitude that causes promoters to go broke. First off, late running shows will drive off the casual fans and the fans that have young children. Late running shows will drive off the fans that travel a long distance to attend. Look at the empty seats at most races. Promoters should be doing all they can to fill those seats, not driving away existing fans with drawn out shows.
    It's obvious that the 11 p.m. is past your bedtime! Maybe you need to follow your own advice and support weekly racing while you still can! Lol

Don't go to Wheatland, because they won't race until the track is right! THANK YOU WHEATLAND.

If you want to go to a track that's terrible with screwing around I would have to say I-55 is the absolute worst they (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) around more then anyone

At $25 a head to get in at FALS Saturday that's why the crowd was low. People only have so much money a week to spend on fun/entertainment and maybe the extra $ was to much for most. also if you haven't noticed gas prices have gone up about .50 cents a gallon lately. A little lower admission will get more fans and the promoter ends up making the difference on concessions it's a win win for all. Kankakee had free admission in June and packed the place and the concession lines were long all night long and the promoter said it was his best night of the year. a little extra salt on the popcorn and you'll sell three times the liquid refreshments. LOL on that last one

Quote Originally Posted by Kojack View Post
    If you want to go to a track that's terrible with screwing around I would have to say I-55 is the absolute worst they (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) around more then anyone
    Hit the nail on the head here. It can be brutal at times.

Guess they should just run these shows at 2pm...

Quote Originally Posted by 1bbmft View Post
    At $25 a head to get in at FALS Saturday that's why the crowd was low. People only have so much money a week to spend on fun/entertainment and maybe the extra $ was to much for most. also if you haven't noticed gas prices have gone up about .50 cents a gallon lately. A little lower admission will get more fans and the promoter ends up making the difference on concessions it's a win win for all. Kankakee had free admission in June and packed the place and the concession lines were long all night long and the promoter said it was his best night of the year. a little extra salt on the popcorn and you'll sell three times the liquid refreshments. LOL on that last one
    That Saturday show at FALS was a 10 G to win show. Not sure how they would pay that purse without bumping the gate.

Comparing triple K with FALS? I won't even go there.
    8/13/16

you know you have it way too good when the "locals" are the ones complaining and the "out of towners/staters" are singing praises and then some about your track. FALS has really gotten some people spoiled. To the ones who are unhappy, Peoria is always an option. Just a side note, too...The promoter of FALS is doing an unbelievable job there! Maybe I'm a little biased because I know the guy. Maybe, it is more than that....I hear it all over from people at all 4 corners of the map. You are never going to have a season without a bad night or two no matter what track you go support. It's just difficult for many on here to feel sorry for those complaining when so so many wished they had a track that could come even close to the one in the mighty cornfields of America's Town *I hope everyone read my sarcasm meter with the last line. Emojis don't always work the way you want them to.* Anyway, I thought it was funny.
    Last edited by #FALSuperman; 08-20-2015 at 08:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by #FALSuperman View Post
    you know you have it way too good when the "locals" are the ones complaining and the "out of towners/staters" are singing praises and then some about your track. FALS has really gotten some people spoiled. To the ones who are unhappy, Peoria is always an option. Just a side note, too...The promoter of FALS is doing an unbelievable job there! Maybe I'm a little biased because I know the guy. Maybe, it is more than that....I hear it all over from people at all 4 corners of the map. You are never going to have a season without a bad night or two no matter what track you go support. It's just difficult for many on here to feel sorry for those complaining when so so many wished they had a track that could come even close to the one in the mighty cornfields of America's Town *I hope everyone read my sarcasm meter with the last line. Emojis don't always work the way you want them to.* Anyway, I thought it was funny.
    As I said in my previous post...just a constructive criticism to make a great track better. Is there something wrong with that?

I gave an objective opinion from the outside looking in. I found myself tired of waiting several times during the night and this has been the case most nights this season. If I felt that way, chances are others may have as well. Judging from some other posts this is true.

FALS has become a premier dirt track, but it is not without it's faults (as is any track). I think management would agree there are always improvements to be made. What makes a track great is not resting on their laurels and constantly seeking to improve. FALS has done an overall great job making many improvements. ALL I was pointing out was one more way they could improve......moving the show along.

Just because some locals don't care how fast the show moves along, doesn't mean it should not be addressed. People can make their snide remarks about "bedtimes" and the like, but the fact remains a track cannot survive on locals only. If a "first timer" drives a distance to check out the track and the show unnecessarily drags out, you have more than likely lost that prospective fan and any others they may have brought back in the future. Foo foo it all you want, but it is true, an efficiently run show should be a top priority.

It's as simple as that.

11:00 for a 10k show and for a Saturday night seems pretty efficient to me

Quote Originally Posted by TackyTracker View Post
    11:00 for a 10k show and for a Saturday night seems pretty efficient to me
    Put it in context.

A total of 87 cars in 5 classes

Can't hardly count the hobby mods as far as taking a lot of time as they only had 5 cars. They were probably on the track 10 minutes total for their heat and feature combined.

So, for all intents and purposes... 4 classes (82 cars)

No semi features

10 heats and 4 features

The features themselves took over two hours. That's an average of 30 minutes to run 1 feature.
    (the rollover in the feature only took 10 minutes to clear)

11:00 would not be bad IF there was 120+ cars and each class had semi features etc. But that was not the case.

Efficiency is not only reflected in the time of the night the show gets done. It must be compared in relation to the number of cars and races during the night. With the advances in tech with the transponders and raceceivers, shows should move along way faster than they are.

While it's true every track has short comings, I don't think 11 pm for a Saturday night race is one of them. Fairbury goes out of it's way to keep the track maintained and extremely racy all night long. This alone takes time and well worth it to the fans. I am a long distance fan also. I wouldn't trade getting home a hour earlier for a less than spectacular race. The great racing is what FALs made their name on. That means, starting a little later than some tracks and grooming the track in between races.

If I was going to point out short comings, it would be the front grandstands are too far from the track and the seats are too low. The gravel walk way to the handicap section really makes it hard for people in wheel chairs. I believe, they know about these but the fix is costly and doesn't happen overnight. Even though FALs is a not for profit deal, they have to make a profit to keep the gates open. Then balance out charitable causes and improvements.

Seeing that most Hell Tour shows are 5K to win and $25 to get in, I didnt think this was to bad. Id much rather drop $25 at #FALS for 10K than drop $25 at other local crap holes for 5K to win.

Quote Originally Posted by 1bbmft View Post

Quote Originally Posted by skids View Post
    Put it in context.

A total of 87 cars in 5 classes

Can't hardly count the hobby mods as far as taking a lot of time as they only had 5 cars. They were probably on the track 10 minutes total for their heat and feature combined.

So, for all intents and purposes... 4 classes (82 cars)

No semi features

10 heats and 4 features

The features themselves took over two hours. That's an average of 30 minutes to run 1 feature.
    (the rollover in the feature only took 10 minutes to clear)

11:00 would not be bad IF there was 120+ cars and each class had semi features etc. But that was not the case.

Efficiency is not only reflected in the time of the night the show gets done. It must be compared in relation to the number of cars and races during the night. With the advances in tech with the transponders and raceceivers, shows should move along way faster than they are.

Give it up. The horse is dead. I recall numerous nights in years past that the show ran late. Including when you were in the flagstand.

Is 11 really to late? No. Did the track need to have the cushion knocked down? Yes! Did it help the racing? Yes! They did what they could and if you felt it was to late then you could have left. That simple.

B!tching on the internet about it constantly does no good. Your starting to sound like the people you argued with when you were involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Aftershock View Post
    Give it up. The horse is dead. I recall numerous nights in years past that the show ran late. Including when you were in the flagstand.

Is 11 really to late? No. Did the track need to have the cushion knocked down? Yes! Did it help the racing? Yes! They did what they could and if you felt it was to late then you could have left. That simple.

B!tching on the internet about it constantly does no good. Your starting to sound like the people you argued with when you were involved.
    Sorry Charlie. I thought, of all people, maybe you could understand some constructive criticism. Guess I was wrong.

Sometimes seeing things being discussed on a forum forces people to address the issues. I speak from experience, as you point out. Can it get out of hand? Absolutely. I don't think at any point I have. Seeing (on a forum) what the "customer's" issues are is not a bad thing. In fact, when fans see an issue they raise has been addressed and rectified it is a very good thing for the track. I chose 4m because any slight criticism is quickly deleted on the other site without allowing discussion.

I'll quit beating the horse, but first I will point out that the late nights in the past were before the availability of transponders with computerized assistance with the scoring and line ups. It's apples to oranges compared to manual scoring. I would also argue higher car counts and more races/semis per night. I can also assure you that it was not for lack of trying to move the show along. It was definitely a priority.

Rest in peace, horse. I will beat no more.
    Last edited by skids; 08-20-2015 at 05:22 PM.

oh yes the tracks fault for drivers spinning out !!! i was there for the late model portion and d amn it was frigging awesome!!!

Ok, I'll chime in as sometimes I can get irritated waiting for the Late Model feature. As for last Saturday what I can remember...they uncharacteristically put too much water down so they had to spend more time getting the track in shape and I believe brought the grader out 3 times throughout the night to knock the cushion down. Then they had 2 rollovers to slow the show. Then the Sportsman and Street Stock winners seem to think we are on their time and think they need to take a cool down lap rather than just getting to the scale, then they take the obligatory polish victory lap, then the interviews and the group (2) pictures, then they can't wait 5 min and have to take their tops off because they evidently are too hot, talk a bit to crew members, then climb back in their cars while crew members climb aboard all the while the next race is being held up on the backstretch til they get off the track. I understand they are enjoying the moment but get off the dang track so the next feature can start. Not sure how the track can tell the drivers to expedite the winning process. The late model feature made up for those shenanigans though.
    Last edited by 71Cougar; 08-20-2015 at 11:25 PM.