Thread: Radiator / Fans

Default Radiator / Fans

Looking to drop a little weight off the front of a crate car on gas / e85. Was looking at the Afco single core radiators and one of the composite fans.

We have been able to cool fine with 26" (hot months) and 22" (cool months) dual passes. Not sure how the single cores do vs in real life.

We were able to cool in hot months with a 4 blade 17" steel fan but its a few pounds lighter to go to any of the composite sets.

Any comments on either?

Are Race Fan and the Jones the same or no? Any real life experience from a Gorsuch?

I run the Afco double pass that is 10# lighter than regular radiators with a Gorsuch 3 or 6 blade fan with a shroud with no heating issues. Under 70-75 degrees outside I can run the 3 blade. I do use a little of the VP Stay Frosty stuff too.

I will only run the Gorsuch fans going forward.

i ordered a single core by mistake last year and didnt have any change in temps. If your AFR and timing is right and youve got a good fan with the right gap or shroud you wont have any issues. I always run FSR radiators, very nice and usa built. I think i may try the carbon keyser fan or gorsuch next as well

Have been running the 17" Keyser carbon fan for 2 seasons now. We use it on steel and aluminium super engines and it works great. Not sure what GM put on those crate engines for a water pump but a good high flow unit will help build block pressure without having to use some form of restriction in the coolant path.

I run a Gorsuch 6blade fan. Best money I ever spent. Car with no opening stays 170-180 even in 190 air temp. I run a 24” double pass, Adams water pump with return lines across the intake from the riser and lines from the pump back to the block.

A little off topic but haven't been able to find any information any where - about the last half of last season July on, I was pushing water out of the radiator overflow every night. Changed radiators, changed caps (run a 29-30 lb cap) but it still kept doing it. Come in from the heat race, put the car up on the lift and start doing my between races stuff I'd notice a wet spot on the pavement right under the overflow hose.

Is this normal or should I be worried I have some issue?

Some cheap caps don't seal worth a (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word), the springs wear out sometimes it's the radiator cap bung or sealing surface is messed up or flimsy enough to pull out of round and leaks.
    Assuming all those are okay, you might have a head gasket leaking into the coolant jacket and pushing water out of the cap.

Quote Originally Posted by Lizardracing View Post
    Some cheap caps don't seal worth a (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word), the springs wear out sometimes it's the radiator cap bung or sealing surface is messed up or flimsy enough to pull out of round and leaks.
    Assuming all those are okay, you might have a head gasket leaking into the coolant jacket and pushing water out of the cap.
    Thanks. Would a leak down test show if the head gasket was leaking into the coolant jacklet? The water in the radiator always looks clean, I would expect if there was a head gasket leak it might have some oil film in it?

I didn't follow you 100%? Are you only pushing water out after the race in the pits and the motor heat soaks or just see water dripping off overflow hose right away so know it's losing some while on track?

If it's bad enough a leak down will show up, it's only 100psi though and not the 1000's of psi under running conditions so it may not. I'd do that AND a coolant pressure test while hot.
    Usually, if combustion gasses are getting into the coolant than yes, there sometimes a film or the coolant is really dirty.

As Billet mentioned, After a race, especially a hard one, the engine block continues heating up for a few minutes and the water isn't moving causing it to boil a little and the extra gasses could be pushing open the cap. That usually shows up a a small amount coming from the overflow drain. It's also why your daily driver has a overflow tank.

I was hesitant to spend the money on a gorsuch. Bought one and have ran it for two seasons. Had one break a blade(probably due to a rock or mud) and didnt hurt the radiator or vibrate. Never ran hot on e85 and will be the only fan I run now.