Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

WOO Late Model event last year at Lancaster it was rumored that the fastest car entering turn 3 was clocked at 143 mph (Lancaster is a true half mile with long straightaways).

Thumbs up

I remember that day back in Sept. of 06. Miller setting the new track record. Him and Birky were the class of the field. That track was incredibly fast with no banking and nothing but a steel guard rail. Fully understand why they don't race there anymore. Sure do miss that place. That Sunday in 2006 was the last Super Late show I had the pleasure of seeing at the famed horse track.
    8/13/16

If anything is/was faster than the old configuration of Golden Isles Speedway, no dirt car of any sort had any business being on it.

Not sure about fastest but Belleville, Kansas high banks would rank up there for scary. Track is mainly a big circle, most of the fast folks would flat foot it. Was never convinced that Kelly Boen was as nuts as people made him out to be, until I saw him run Belleville.
    I hate time trials.

Quote Originally Posted by B_K View Post
    If anything is/was faster than the old configuration of Golden Isles Speedway, no dirt car of any sort had any business being on it.
    MAV TV crew said during the broadcast a few years back that late models had clocked as fast as 170mph at Golden Isles.
    Last edited by Rajflyboy; 07-15-2020 at 01:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rajflyboy View Post
    Mac TV crew said during the broadcast a few years back that late models had clocked as fast as 170mph at Golden Isles.

173, to be exact. A friend was down there when a Georgia state trooper did the check. Did know who the driver was but have forgotten now. Could have been Skip Arp, but I'm not sure.

For a 3/8 Id have to say USA raceway in Tuscon,Az.
    4/10 Id say I-80
    1/2 Id say Knoxville

Quote Originally Posted by jog49 View Post
    173, to be exact. A friend was down there when a Georgia state trooper did the check. Did know who the driver was but have forgotten now. Could have been Skip Arp, but I'm not sure.
    . Impressive but are the cars built to protect drivers at that speed?

Quote Originally Posted by jog49 View Post
    What did the lap average figure out to be at this track? If they don't scrub off too much speed in the turns then the lap average MPH would be higher than the lap average for a 410 winged sprint car at Springfield. If that's the case then the folks at Springfield should not boast the fastest average MPH ever on dirt.

Did WoO winged 410's ever run this place you refer to? If the late models were doing 173 MPH as you purport them to have done then the winged 410's would likely be very close to, or exceeding 190 MPH at the end of the straightaways. I make that estimate based on the fact that Sammy, in a WoO sprinter, was clocked on the backstretch at 174 MPH, 20 MPH faster than the fastest underweight late model at Springfield.

Quote Originally Posted by kazual View Post
    Not sure about fastest but Belleville, Kansas high banks would rank up there for scary. Track is mainly a big circle, most of the fast folks would flat foot it. Was never convinced that Kelly Boen was as nuts as people made him out to be, until I saw him run Belleville.
    kazual, the High Banks folks have signs around the track that boast the Belleville High Banks as the fastest 1/2 mile dirt track in the world. A lot of the High Banks memorabilia has that claim printed on it, as well. It wouldn't surprise me. Many tracks, when measured objectively, aren't as long as they're claimed to be. That isn't the case with Belleville. It's a actually a tick over 1/2 mile when measured 20' down from the outside wall all the way around.

The late models are scary on a mile dirt and aren't built to withstand the impact their speeds could produce. That said, I've seen the late models on a mile dirt and I've seen the midgets several times at Belleville and the late models on a mile dirt don't hold a candle to how scary the midgets were at the High Banks. It came as no surprise that USAC, or any other sanction, refused to race there after Bryan Clauson was killed. The midgets came back 1 final time the year after BC died but that ended it, probably forever.

Quote Originally Posted by CIRF View Post
    kazual, the High Banks folks have signs around the track that boast the Belleville High Banks as the fastest 1/2 mile dirt track in the world. A lot of the High Banks memorabilia has that claim printed on it, as well. It wouldn't surprise me. Many tracks, when measured objectively, aren't as long as they're claimed to be. That isn't the case with Belleville. It's a actually a tick over 1/2 mile when measured 20' down from the outside wall all the way around.

The late models are scary on a mile dirt and aren't built to withstand the impact their speeds could produce. That said, I've seen the late models on a mile dirt and I've seen the midgets several times at Belleville and the late models on a mile dirt don't hold a candle to how scary the midgets were at the High Banks. It came as no surprise that USAC, or any other sanction, refused to race there after Bryan Clauson was killed. The midgets came back 1 final time the year after BC died but that ended it, probably forever.
    These are sprint cars and is from a ways back, but measured of google earth and the lap records at the time

Bristol Motor Speedway
    .53 miles @ 13.860, or 137.66 (average MPH)
    Belleville High Banks
    .51 miles @ 14.321, or 128.20 (average MPH)
    Knoxville Raceway
    .50 miles @ 14.407, or 124.94 (average MPH)
    Volousia Raceway Park
    .43 miles @ 12.569, or 123.16 (average MPH)
    Eldora Speedway
    .43 miles @ 12.707, or 121.94 (average MPH)
    Selinsgrove Speedway
    .54 miles @ 16.207, or 119.95 (average MPH)
    Williams Grove
    .53 miles @ 16.140, or 118.22 (average MPH)
    Perris Auto Speedway
    .37 miles @ 13.875, or 096.00 (average MPH)

Bristol and Belleville obviously didn't have many times the 410 sprints ran on them

I heard the 170 MPH thing about Bloomer years ago when we ran Golden Isle, think that could have been exaggerated a bit. I can tell you the gearing was as high as anyplace I ever ran (I think it was like a 4:68 or something, remember telling the guys to put the 'smaller gear on top').

Bristol the two times they laid down dirt, and Belleville KS come to mind.

It's been 15 years since I've been there but Knoxville in hot laps was crazy fast. Guys would never lift. Also remember when golden isle was hold it to the floor.

Appreciate the comment guys. So I can take Bellville off my bucket list? 😔

Quote Originally Posted by billetbirdcage View Post
    These are sprint cars and is from a ways back, but measured of google earth and the lap records at the time

Bristol Motor Speedway
    .53 miles @ 13.860, or 137.66 (average MPH)
    Belleville High Banks
    .51 miles @ 14.321, or 128.20 (average MPH)
    Knoxville Raceway
    .50 miles @ 14.407, or 124.94 (average MPH)
    Volousia Raceway Park
    .43 miles @ 12.569, or 123.16 (average MPH)
    Eldora Speedway
    .43 miles @ 12.707, or 121.94 (average MPH)
    Selinsgrove Speedway
    .54 miles @ 16.207, or 119.95 (average MPH)
    Williams Grove
    .53 miles @ 16.140, or 118.22 (average MPH)
    Perris Auto Speedway
    .37 miles @ 13.875, or 096.00 (average MPH)

Bristol and Belleville obviously didn't have many times the 410 sprints ran on them
    I vaguely remember seeing these measurements and times posted on another board a while back. I could be off base here but in my mind (which no one really cares what's in it) Bristol was a novelty, basically an anomaly which only happened a couple of times. A permanent dirt track is a bit of a different animal. Not saying how I look at it is correct, just saying.

I asked Bill Schlieper how fast they were really running and he told
    me that by multiplying the gear ratio and rpm in some formula = 175 at Golden Isles.

I was there when Skip Arp ran like a 15.65 or something close. The announcer said 144 mph.

I argued on the way down there that year that a late model would not go that fast and probably topped out around 140. On the way home I told them they were closer to 170 than 140.

Dwayne Hommel told me that Brunswick was too fast when your a$$ is held together by pop rivets.

I am sure Springfield was too fast for those cars. Belleville is bad fast. Brush Creek was bad fast. Pretty amazing no one has been really hurt bad at these tracks in a late model.

Thumbs up

The old Hartford Speedway in Hartford, Michigan was bad fast before they cut the track down to a 3/8's a few years back. The called it "The Wicked 1/2 Mile" but I guarantee it was a 5/8's at minimum. I see wing sprint pull a 15 second lap there years back. The didn't call it The Wicked 1/2 mile for nothing. See a WOO Sprint show there a few years ago and Shane Stewart flipped out of the park in turn 1 into the east parking lot just missing a few cars. Said that had to have been the fastest he's ever been in a race car.
    Nathan Stephens

Next Race - Rumble in Ft Wayne. Indoor Midget show. Sat., 12/30/23
    2023 Season: Tracks 13 & Races 40 & States AL, IL, IN, NC, OH, WI
    Brownstown (IN) 2, Eldora (OH) 3, Fairbury (IL) 9, Grundy County (IL) 1, Kankakee (IL) 7, Kokomo (IN) 2, Lincoln (IL) 1, Shadyhill (IN) 6, Spoon River (IL) 1, Talladega Short Track (AL) 3, The Dirt Track at Charlotte (NC) 3, & Wilmot (WI) 1

CIRF, what about the old moody mile at Syracuse during Super Dirt Week, the WoO boys ran there as well and I think I recall 170+ was achieved there.

LMM

Quote Originally Posted by bb14 View Post
    Pretty amazing no one has been really hurt bad at these tracks in a late model.
    The only serious injury that I recall from Belleville in a LM was Earl Kinderknecht, where he went over the turn 4 wall and into the pit area. This was before they scraped the track along the wall, over time it would build up to a curve along the guardrail where you could only see 2 of the 3 rails. He climbed it with the RF and sent him over the wall and flipped several times in the pits. He was in a halo for about 6 months, from some broke vertebrae in his neck.

Back in around 2002 to 2006, when open LM's used to run there a fair amount. Typically the faster cars of the normal people to show up was, Kelley Boen, Al Purkey, John Anderson, Terry Phillips, Kyle Berck, would run lap times in the 16.30 to 16.50 range when the track was fast. Typically you pulled at 5.04 to 5.23 gear