Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Hmmmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by jr29 View Post
    No one has answered my question about the Obama administration's response.
    If this pandemic has been blown out of proportion and the response has been over the top and Obama did nothing about H1N1 then I guess you approve of his response ....right ?
    At this point, there is no response that matters to you other than anything that the left does is good and that the right does is bad. Are these conversations getting anywhere, no.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbecueboy View Post
    the media covered it for about 10 days.....after 12k had already died.

Do your homework before coming to class please.
    What do you consider reporting on it?

Here is a CNN article published on the day the CDC announced the first two H1N1 patients in the US.
    https://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/04/2...nia/index.html

This politico article from April 2009 makes it sound like the cable new outlets were talking about H1N1 a lot very early on.

https://www.politico.com/story/2009/...fingers-021776
    Reports of swine flu outbreaks have come in from five different states so far, but all Washington has caught is a contagious case of finger-pointing.

As the cable networks went 24/7 with influenza coverage Monday, liberal bloggers went after Republican Sens. Susan Collins and Arlen Specter for working to slice $780 million in pandemic planning funds from President Barack Obama’s economic stimulus package.

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton_Wetters View Post
    At this point, there is no response that matters to you other than anything that the left does is good and that the right does is bad. Are these conversations getting anywhere, no.

I concede things fairly often.
    I didn't love Obama. I thought the Obamacare rollout was a disaster.
    Tom cotton, a Republican senator from arkansas who I despise, was on top of this Coronavirus thing before anyone. He was doing his job.

Two examples right there. Boom.

Quote Originally Posted by mcarter815 View Post
    This politico article from April 2009 makes it sound like the cable new outlets were talking about H1N1 a lot very early on.

https://www.politico.com/story/2009/...fingers-021776
    I'm sure the Trump folks on here have a problem with Politico.

No one has answered my question about the Obama administration's response.
    If this pandemic has been blown out of proportion and the response has been over the top and Obama did nothing about H1N1 then I guess you approve of his response ....right ?
    It's never all or nothing with me....I'm a little more reasonable than that.....you should try it.

Somewhere in the middle on both responses would have been more appropriate.

Don't you think?
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

What do you consider reporting on it?

Here is a CNN article published on the day the CDC announced the first two H1N1 patients in the US.
    https://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/04/2...nia/index.html
    I'm using today's reporting standards as a comparison......find anything remotely close between the media coverage of the two corona viruses?

Quote Originally Posted by kidrock View Post
    I feel bad for anyone who is losing their business. Being a small business owner I can identify with them but, I would think at the end of the day they are thankful they are still alive and just maybe they can find away to start their business again.
    It’s a shame you weren’t around for the first Great Depression. You could of gave your thoughts to them right before they jumped out the window.

Does this count as the media reporting on H1N1 before 12,000 deaths?

Apr 30, 2009

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/SwineF...7467397&page=1
    The revelation came on a day that the CDC case count rose to 109 confirmed infections in 11 states. South Carolina was the newest addition to the official list of states affected.

State health officials, however, have reported a number of cases that have not yet been confirmed by the CDC. Adding these results -- including the first two cases in Virginia announced Thursday evening -- would mean a total of at least 134 cases in 19 states.

On Thursday, the swine flu outbreak caused schools in 14 states to shut their doors on more than 160,000 schoolchildren, and additional closures could affect as many as 223,700 students in 17 states.

In total, more than 100 school systems have closed at least one school as the nation tries to stifle the spread of the disease. In Texas Wednesday night, officials announced that the entire Fort Worth school system would be closed through at least May 8 as a precaution, idling 80,000 children in 140 schools.
    The World Health Organization raised its pandemic flu alert again Wednesday to phase 5, which denotes that a pandemic is imminent. On Thursday, WHO reported that the number of lab-confirmed cases worldwide rose to 236, up from 148 on Wednesday.

In Mexico, where the flu outbreak was believed to have started, the government took more drastic action Thursday, ordering all nonessential businesses to close.

Mexican President Felipe Calderon, who has been criticized for his low profile during the crisis, addressed the nation Wednesday night and told Mexicans to stay home.

"There is no safer place to protect yourself against catching swine flu than in your house," he said.

On Thursday, Switzerland, the Netherlands and Peru became the latest countries to report swine flu cases, which have now been reported in at least 14 countries.

The first death from swine flu in the United States occurred Wednesday, when a 22-month-old baby boy in Texas died.

The worst hit state so far is New York, with 51 confirmed cases.
    To fight the epidemic, the Obama administration is asking Congress for $1.5 billion. White House press secretary Gibbs said the president was requesting the funds "out of an abundance of caution" to "enhance our nation's capability to respond to the potential spread of this outbreak."

The CDC has become the center for the swine flu investigation. It is one of only four laboratories in the world that have the expertise to unravel a novel flu strain.

"What we're trying to do is to identify how bad, how good, the swine flu is currently operating -- is it expanding, is it contracting, is it maintaining a steady state," said Phillip Navin, director of the Division of Emergency Operations at the CDC.

With the uptick in cases, the CDC shipped more antivirals and sent additional teams into the field.

"I think at the moment we need to be looking forward and making sure that we're doing everything that we can to keep people from getting sick," said Dr. Steve Reed, director of the CDC's Influenza Coordination Unit.

I'm sure the Trump folks on here have a problem with Politico.
    You're not even real sure who the trump folks are....just that you aren't supposed to like them....as you're told.

You're seeing more news today because of social media and the increase web presence of news organizations.

https://www.wpr.org/how-does-covid-1...are-2009s-h1n1

How The Media's Response To H1N1 Compares To COVID-19

There are several differences in the media's response to H1N1 and COVID-19, Nowak explained.

For one, media coverage is more frequent when actions by the government or other oversight agencies are new and sweeping, as has been the case with evolving stay-at-home orders in the COVID-19 era. Disconnects between health measures, the economy, political parties, state and federal orders, demands for more testing amid a limited supply, all result in more stories.

"This is a completely new experience, having to deal with a pandemic caused by a coronavirus," Nowak said. "(The CDC) always planned for pandemics that would be caused by flu viruses."

What's compounding coverage now is the reality that there are many more news outlets than there were in 2009, and more platforms such as Twitter and Instagram on which to spread that information. In 2009, Fox News wasn't as large, and outlets such as Stat and Vox didn't exist yet, Nowak said.

And as for social media, the CDC didn't even have a Twitter account in 2009. That didn't happen until May 2010.

But in 2009, there also was a sense of certainty about the future. H1N1 hit the scene as flu season was coming to a close and a vaccine was developed in enough time to get it into the next flu season's immunization shots.

There's less certainty with COVID-19, which spreads much easier and can be transmitted by people who are asymptomatic or pre-symptomatic, Nowak said.

Does this count as the media reporting on H1N1 before 12,000 deaths?

Apr 30, 2009

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/SwineF...7467397&page=1
    Comparatively speaking versus the coverage Covid19 is getting.....no , not even in the same Galaxy.

But you already know that

You're seeing more news today because of social media and the increase web presence of news organizations.

https://www.wpr.org/how-does-covid-1...are-2009s-h1n1
    You're seeing the news outlets that have been butthurt by trumps own use of social media against them act exactly like the folks that can't get over Hillary losing.

Nothing more.

Comparatively speaking versus the coverage Covid19 is getting.....no , not even in the same Galaxy.

But you already know that
    I know that you're never going to admit you're wrong. It's fun finding counter-examples to your nonsense, though.

You're not even real sure who the trump folks are....just that you aren't supposed to like them....as you're told.
    I live around them. I work with them. They are everywhere in my region. Great folks, I just think their political views usually stink

It's never all or nothing with me....I'm a little more reasonable than that.....you should try it.

Somewhere in the middle on both responses would have been more appropriate.

Don't you think?
    I just gave Tom Cotton a pat on the back.
    Trump has done some good thing in this response. Mostly he's stunk though.
    I have no problem giving credit when it is due or vice versa.

Because I'm not wrong here......look at the amount of coverage prior to the first 12k swine deaths when Obama was fleecing the country and then look at the coverage prior to the first 12k covid deaths.

Tell me or anyone they are comparatively the same coverage.

I live around them. I work with them. They are everywhere in my region. Great folks, I just think their political views usually stink
    Do you think I'm a " trump folk"?

Do you think I'm a " trump folk"?
    I can tell we don't agree on a lot of this stuff. I've been surprised before though.

I know that you're never going to admit you're wrong. It's fun finding counter-examples to your nonsense, though.
    Is it as much fun as stockpiling toilet paper and sanitizer so that you have plenty but your community can't find any?

Counter examples, lol........you just like to argue.

My example, the sky is blue......your counter example , it's really off blue with a touch of grey.