Default excel / spring / stack

I'm thinking somebody out there probably has an excel sheet to calculate backwards from load numbers to nut adjustment ...

anybody want to share ? would be nice if it did stacks.

thanks !

I probably should have made one, but I always get out the paper and calculator.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Quote Originally Posted by RacerX10 View Post
    I'm thinking somebody out there probably has an excel sheet to calculate backwards from load numbers to nut adjustment ...anybody want to share ? would be nice if it did stacks.thanks !
    To many variables. Not all shocks use the same thread spacing. For instance it's almost 5 turns on ohlins to get the same travel as 2 turns on a afco or Integra. Penske are kinda nice in that it's 10 turns per inch so it's easy math. You mention stacks well stacks are tough because of the staging/ timing. Not much need for a big cheat sheet its just math as long as your using quality springs that stay linear. But really hard to have some generic deal because of the variables in coilover nut travel per turn differences

Quote Originally Posted by Jking24 View Post
    To many variables. Not all shocks use the same thread spacing. For instance it's almost 5 turns on ohlins to get the same travel as 2 turns on a afco or Integra. Penske are kinda nice in that it's 10 turns per inch so it's easy math. You mention stacks well stacks are tough because of the staging/ timing. Not much need for a big cheat sheet its just math as long as your using quality springs that stay linear. But really hard to have some generic deal because of the variables in coilover nut travel per turn differences
    Don't really care about thread pitch on the shock. Just looking to do it by free height / compressed height / target load etc.

I don't think the stack part will be too much harder .. same kind of thing as a single, you're just doing serial coils (s1 X s2)/(s1 + s2) to a certain point then it's locked out and you're on the single spring.

I thought somebody would have already had this, and I'm lazy, but I guess it's on me. Will work it out and share when it's ready

Spring rhythm app on play store has exactly what your looking for.

Don't really care about thread pitch on the shock. Just looking to do it by free height / compressed height / target load etc.I don't think the stack part will be too much harder .. same kind of thing as a single, you're just doing serial coils (s1 X s2)/(s1 + s2) to a certain point then it's locked out and you're on the single spring.I thought somebody would have already had this, and I'm lazy, but I guess it's on me. Will work it out and share when it's ready
    I guess I just don't see the point. Most setups be it stack or single rate now days use a bump or spring rubbers and it's impossible to have a generic cheat sheet for that. Also if you have to use a tape measure and a chart at the race track. How much more convenient if at all is it then just knowing that 1 turn = x load on your given setup. And as far as that app. Theirs alot of assumptions with it. Not all springs have the exact same free length. Most all springs do not compress at their rated value the first inch. As I stated their are to many variables but feel free to waste for time making a spreadsheet that has no real world relevance.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher88 View Post
    Spring rhythm app on play store has exactly what your looking for.
    I've seen that. Good idea but I don't like subscription based ... anything

I guess I just don't see the point. Most setups be it stack or single rate now days use a bump or spring rubbers and it's impossible to have a generic cheat sheet for that. Also if you have to use a tape measure and a chart at the race track. How much more convenient if at all is it then just knowing that 1 turn = x load on your given setup. And as far as that app. Theirs alot of assumptions with it. Not all springs have the exact same free length. Most all springs do not compress at their rated value the first inch. As I stated their are to many variables but feel free to waste for time making a spreadsheet that has no real world relevance.
    Respectfully disagree .. to whit :

1 ) the spring rubber just tunes in some direction from a known point. That's an "after the fact" adjustment, and is predictable when I've tested them in a spring smasher. It's going to be a pretty consistent value from the spring rate.

2 ) It's also super easy to know what a turn is worth on given spring / shock if you want to do it that way.

3 ) Free length can be known before it's mounted up. Spring compression value is also within a certain percentage of rated value. If it's not in that range, you've got a crap spring or it needs replacing. In any case, you're talking about a few pounds difference in any direction that is out of the tolerance range for any driver to know the difference. Other factors that change on the track (picking up mud / humidity changes / wind blows some other direction) are a larger issue than then a 500 lb spring being 500 or 510 lbs actual.

As far as value goes, if I can grab up my phone, plug a number in a spreadsheet and have it spit out a new load number from whatever delta in spring height (aka turns on the nut) .. that's pretty (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) convenient.

Appreciate your comments / your opinion !
    Last edited by RacerX10; 01-23-2023 at 09:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    I probably should have made one, but I always get out the paper and calculator.
    I got the single spring deal working last night. Just need to confirm what it's spitting out on a smasher and make it a little more user friendly with some gfx

If your only using a single spring and not having to account for a bump stop. I don't even pull the shock off to check anything. I just measure the distance between the changes I made and do the math.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher88 View Post
    If your only using a single spring and not having to account for a bump stop. I don't even pull the shock off to check anything. I just measure the distance between the changes I made and do the math.
    Entirely possible that I'm looking for a solution for a problem that doesn't exist

But that would also mean that the "springrithm" app is entirely useless and a bit of a scam ?

Maybe ....

Entirely possible that I'm looking for a solution for a problem that doesn't exist

But that would also mean that the "springrithm" app is entirely useless and a bit of a scam ?

Maybe ....
    The app is a PT Barnum money maker.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Is there any way to add a graph system to a MLR EZ Rater?

Quote Originally Posted by mab475 View Post
    I can't remember if the linear indicator has a data port on it or not. If not, you need a new linear transducer and data acquisition cards for it and the load cell. I use my computer keyboard for the acquisition.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Quote Originally Posted by mab475 View Post
    Not exactly the first problem is the dro is not an absolute dro. Basically it can loose its zero point aswell as skip a beat if moved to fast. This can be fixed by upgrading to a absolute dro witch iguage (the brand that comes on the machine) makes a absolute model that is basically a direct replacement for what is their. They have a communication cable that can be bought separately but to my knowledge it can only transmit data statically. Basically you have to push a button to log a point. But the next issue becomes logging the load data. The load cells have a "printer" out put but I believe it's the same scenario you have to push a button to get a data point. So it makes it a little convoluted. Someone pretty tech savy could get it going but I'm not sure how user friendly it would be

Not exactly the first problem is the dro is not an absolute dro. Basically it can loose its zero point aswell as skip a beat if moved to fast. This can be fixed by upgrading to a absolute dro witch iguage (the brand that comes on the machine) makes a absolute model that is basically a direct replacement for what is their. They have a communication cable that can be bought separately but to my knowledge it can only transmit data statically. Basically you have to push a button to log a point. But the next issue becomes logging the load data. The load cells have a "printer" out put but I believe it's the same scenario you have to push a button to get a data point. So it makes it a little convoluted. Someone pretty tech savy could get it going but I'm not sure how user friendly it would be
    The load cell should have an analog mv/V signal, which is what the display uses. You can plot that real time by converting with the appropriate acquisition card. The load cell is just a strain gauge bridge where you excite it with a voltage and you get a mV output that is proportional to the load applied.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1