Cool There needs to be....

well this just totally me and my thoughts right now! LOL. Think it would be cool to see some kind of Late Models Vs Big Block Modifieds Nationals of some kind just to two classes running together! Think that be a dam interesting show to see.....
    Last edited by AnonymousNate; 01-27-2016 at 09:54 PM.

Actually for a good many years there was a such event held at a track on the NY/PA border near Sugar Grove, Pa. named Stateline Speedway that held what was named "TEAM" races. It had a driver from each class out there running extra distance races and I'm not real sure how they determined the winning team. They may have even switched drivers at the halfway point. They may have totaled the finishes of each car and the highest score of the 2 cars. Also the same family owned Eriez Speedway in Erie, Pa and ran the team races there also. I have some very good [and older] friends up that way that actually raced in that era so when I see them I will ask for more details.

Ya know, many moons ago they ran center steer Mods in Cali at SMS, we took ours which was not the greatest in the world but a decent car to several run what ya brung stock car races and faired pretty well...a guy in good equipment and driving prowess, say like Brett Hearn, I don't anyone in a DLM could keep up... the rear percentage and tires and handling characteristics seem to me lend itself to the mods... JMO We ran one in a trophy dash of four laps and lapped the fourth place car before the end of the dash and the second place car wasn't even on the same straightaway....

Quote Originally Posted by mudslinger47 View Post
    Ya know, many moons ago they ran center steer Mods in Cali at SMS, we took ours which was not the greatest in the world but a decent car to several run what ya brung stock car races and faired pretty well...a guy in good equipment and driving prowess, say like Brett Hearn, I don't anyone in a DLM could keep up... the rear percentage and tires and handling characteristics seem to me lend itself to the mods... JMO We ran one in a trophy dash of four laps and lapped the fourth place car before the end of the dash and the second place car wasn't even on the same straightaway....
    Interesting topic.

Mud, did the West Coast modified's run big blocks? Were they similar to the Northeast big block modified's? Just curious.

I love the BBM's. I remember Earl Baltes hosted the BBM's at Eldora a couple of times. I'm bettin' those must have been good shows, and FAST, too. Wanted to make it to Eldora for one of those shows but never did.

We get to watch the BBM's at Volusia when we're in The Sunshine State for dirt SpeedWeeks. Love watchin' those guys.

The late models would stomp the big blocks 9/10 times. They have pretty much the same horsepower, but the big block mods are heavier and way less aerodynamic. When they turn laps on the same track, the mods are generally about a second slower a lap.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Bayko View Post
    The late models would stomp the big blocks 9/10 times. They have pretty much the same horsepower, but the big block mods are heavier and way less aerodynamic. When they turn laps on the same track, the mods are generally about a second slower a lap.
    Hmm that is interesting Josh Bayko! How much do those mods weight? Could make the Lates a lil heavier or mods little lighter. Typical lates are 2300 maybe make both weigh in at like 2460 or something like that! Im not to sure lol just thoughts running through my head

Quote Originally Posted by AnonymousNate View Post
    Hmm that is interesting Josh Bayko! How much do those mods weight? Could make the Lates a lil heavier or mods little lighter. Typical lates are 2300 maybe make both weigh in at like 2460 or something like that! Im not to sure lol just thoughts running through my head
    Mods are at 2500#.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

make them meet in the middle 2400#. And thank you for that info Josh would never thought they would be that heavy! Thanks for the insight!

Quote Originally Posted by CIRF View Post
    Interesting topic.

Mud, did the West Coast modified's run big blocks? Were they similar to the Northeast big block modified's? Just curious.

I love the BBM's. I remember Earl Baltes hosted the BBM's at Eldora a couple of times. I'm bettin' those must have been good shows, and FAST, too. Wanted to make it to Eldora for one of those shows but never did.

We get to watch the BBM's at Volusia when we're in The Sunshine State for dirt SpeedWeeks. Love watchin' those guys.

No, we were all small block and weighed 2400 lbs... but remember in our day, there weren't the aluminum motors and huge small block CU ins... heck, back then 406 was huge... we ran a 360 cu in with about 600 hp, maybe a little more but not much... the cars of today, I don't know...the engine in our DLM is a Corrnett 430 something with in the neighborhood of 850 HP and will twist till the cows come home.... ran it at 88 and 89 at Tucson it didn't seem to care...but other woes befell us....