Thread: Machine shops

Default Machine shops

Isn't it standard procedure for a machine shop to clean and crack check a virgin block before doing over $700 of machine work? Just picked up my block last night. Got it on the bench in the light and sure as S#)!, there is a 4" crack in the lifter valley. Didn't even need to mag it to see it.

I always thought it was. Unless the customer didn't have the money for it, and "assured" that the block was fine. Regardless the topic of cleaning and checking for cracks should have been brought up before work was done.

Just my 2 cents.
    Crew Chief "Tip of the day":
    Most handling problems can be solved by adjusting the screw-ball. It can be difficult to fine tune at times. Explaining yourself loudly and striking it on top of the helmet with a dead blow hammer usually works well.

Most common place you will see cracks on a sbc block.

the machine shop we use always does these things. they clean it because they dont want to contaminate any of their machines with junk from a block and they check it for cracks because they keep dart blocks on hand to sell to you if yours is cracked lol

Called and took them a new block this morning. New machining no charge.

Quote Originally Posted by bmodracer View Post
    Called and took them a new block this morning. New machining no charge.
    Ive use 400 blocks with that crack in the valley with no issues. I just drilled the ends of the crack and used as cast marine repair over the crack.

jj