Default Is my tach junk?

I've never ran a tach in my current car. Car didn't have one, running small tracks, low HP motors, etc.... So I never really cared. I've got a new motor in the car so I wanted to hook one up, it is used. BUT..........

First time out in hot laps the track was heavy and I could hear the motor bog a bit on the throttle. Car handled perfect, motor ran good, turned 6300 in hot laps. thought I should turn 67 or 6800 but ok the track was heavy.

Started on the pole in the heat race got out front lead every lap, track was slicking off so I had to roll into the throttle, couldn't just mash it like hot laps. Still turned only 6300.........

Started on the outside front row in the feature, track was ICE!! Went backward from the green, ran the top, ran the bottom, no forward bite, got frustrated to where I was just blowing the tires off of it. Still turned only 6300!!!!!!!!

Anyone think there is a problem with this tach? Coincidence? Keep running?

sounds like now that you got a tach you are as worried about it as much as driving. same thing happened to a buddy when we ran stock cars together. never had a tach, got a new motor and hooked up brand new tach to it. all the sudden he thought he should be turning more/less RPM and went from a Top 5 car backwards in a hurry making change after change after...well you get the idea. he took the tach out, put the car back where it was setup wise to begin with and never had another problem.

Yeah...I'm so worried about it I that I look at all the way down the straight away and through the corner........

Anyone else had this problem with an Autometer tach? I just want to know if I can trust it..
    Thanks

All tachs have issues now and then, Ive never had one say the same rpm all the time, but Ive had 3 break the needles off, lol.

I now run a 70 dollar pro form with recall and use the recall button after racing to get the info I want. So far the 70 dollar pro form has been good to go for 4 years, which is double the time I ever got out of a 300 dollar auto meter tach.

I would NEVER buy a used tach.

Thanks J. Fortunately I didn't buy it! It was in a box a parts I got with the car a few years ago. The recall/erase button was broken so I soldered a new one in and hooked it up. verified it with my digital timing light tach and it was good.

Gonna run a slightly faster track this week with the same gear. We'll see what happens. If it's junk I'll go to the Proform.

Thumbs up motor

Are you running an outerwears? If so take it off and see what happens. There used to be a thread on hear about that. I have had several motors in my car and with the exception of 1 they all only turned 6200. Got rid of the car before i had a chance to take the outerwear off.
    go like hell till you see checkers!!

http://www.tpcphoto.com/Kamp-Motor-S...04_aZjZv-XL-LB

Quote Originally Posted by slingindirtupstairs View Post
    Are you running an outerwears? If so take it off and see what happens. There used to be a thread on hear about that. I have had several motors in my car and with the exception of 1 they all only turned 6200. Got rid of the car before i had a chance to take the outerwear off.
    Dude your crazy if you think a outer wear is limiting rpm.

I have dynoed with dirty filthy oily and dusty outer wear and NOT had it hurt my hp at all. 350 and 500 cfm 2 barrel carbs.

obvoiusly, a clean outerwears would be the best, they eventually could plug up, but we have always ran then too and even when we slack off and dont get it cleaned for several weeks or after we have some kind of failure that makes them dirt and oil filled they have still done well and not limited RPM.

i forget what the brand name of the filter we this year but we actually changed our filter up. we went to a multi stage outside foam with a wire form underneath to hold form. inside that we put the foam filter over. so it goes, outerfoam(coarse foam), inner foam(fine foam), outerware, all wrapped around the wire mesh form. has been working great so far. we seemed to have found about 300 rpm on this motor after refresh and with the new style filter over when we had the motor built and had a wix filter on it. now im not saying it was the filter, could be that when we rebuilt it, we did something just a little better(all the same parts as last time), but the filter hasnt hurt at all.

Quote Originally Posted by stock car driver View Post

I have dynoed with dirty filthy oily and dusty outer wear and NOT had it hurt my hp at all. 350 and 500 cfm 2 barrel carbs.
    I like the outerwear but I quite using it last year. Tired of cleaning it and the K&N. One thing I did notice when the outerwear got dirty that as I reved the motor I could see it collapsing against the filter. So there was some type of restriction. Just been running paper this year.

BTW the tach is fine. I just don't have as much motor as I thought I did but it gets the job done. I did switch to a Vic Jr. and MSD and picked up 400 rpms at the same track.

get a r2c filter and run the outer wear

It will keep your carb clean and you just hose out the r2c or blow it out.

kn cost me 12-22 hp on the chassis dyno. complete junk

LOL We have ran the Wix 2096 with an Outerwear as per Bill H for a few years now and the carb stays very clean inside and we run against the chip, either 8200 or 8400 as much as we want...I do not think an Outerwear filter is your low rpm cause...LOL

Quote Originally Posted by stock car driver View Post

I'm just saying what i read on here. I'm sure you had your 2 cents in on that too. I don't claim to know everything or anything for that matter, and i sure don't act like it neither!
    go like hell till you see checkers!!

http://www.tpcphoto.com/Kamp-Motor-S...04_aZjZv-XL-LB

Quote Originally Posted by slingindirtupstairs View Post
    I'm just saying what i read on here. I'm sure you had your 2 cents in on that too. I don't claim to know everything or anything for that matter, and i sure don't act like it neither!
    Sharing what you read on here comes with a risk.... the risk is someone else might be sharing what they heard, read in magazine etc.

I saw that you said you read it on here. sorry if I offended you.

I dont post about things I didnt test myself very often... I used to say k/n was the best filter... before I chassis dyno tested k/n vs paper and found I was giving away a lot of hp for 13 years of racing.

i did have a problem like that with an outwears a long time ago..i got a little oil on it and decided it was a smart idea to clean it off with some brake cleaner..well the solvents must have reacted with the pores in the outwear and plugged then shut..took it off and picked up 1000 rpm after chasing a bunch of other stuff. i dont bother with outwears anymore..the r2c filter has been working well for me.

Up above you mentioned cleaning the r2c filter. You said blow it out or hose it out. Do you mean a water hose? I blow my r2c filter from inside out every week and after at least 5 minutes there is still a small amount of dust flying out.

Yeah you can hose it out with water, thats pretty much what I do all the time, it seems like you can never air blow all the dust out to me.

im guessing you have to use something with very low pressure? otherwise it would compromise the filter if you got carried away with a power washer lol straight out of the hose with no sprayer of any kind would be my best bet right stock car driver?

I spray mine with a nozzle on the end of the hose. Blasting it out with water from the inside out, it hasnt appeared to hurt either of the two filters I rotate back and forth.