Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by not clamped up View Post
    You must have gotten a special one....lol 1 1/2to 2 inches is what i've measured and thats the total wheelbase bottom balljoint to rearend but i'm kinda get old and I may have forgotten to wear my glasses...lol
    thats what I've always heard...

I can't see the speed advantage. I think If I was building a chassis for the masses. I may turn the stub to make the car more drivable for inexpieranced drivers. In the sixties they moved the right front back to get it to turn. In the eighties they moved back the left front to get it to turn. Now they are turning the stub? Educate me on this. I have built many good cars. Never did this, don't think I will. I just may be a slow learner. Show me the advantage. A day without learning, is a day wasted!

Quote Originally Posted by Graff Spee View Post
    I can't see the speed advantage. I think If I was building a chassis for the masses. I may turn the stub to make the car more drivable for inexpieranced drivers. In the sixties they moved the right front back to get it to turn. In the eighties they moved back the left front to get it to turn. Now they are turning the stub? Educate me on this. I have built many good cars. Never did this, don't think I will. I just may be a slow learner. Show me the advantage. A day without learning, is a day wasted!
    turned stub = lr behind the rf

Thats the way theyve been doing it forever to turn left.

Theres nothing to explain the inside radius of a track is smaller, your cars track width is 65 or so wide, the outide and inside footprint are two different diameter circles around the track.

turning the stub 1/2 to 3/4" pretty much just allows the front tires to be square with each other after caster is set. There are plenty of cars that run up front in all venues with stubs that are turned...likewise there are plenty with stubs that are 3/4" turned down to 0" turned that run up front as well.

...like a few others have said...driver preference.

My thinking tells me that the rear of the car gets its roll out from stagger. It also has induced roll over steer in some cases. I see the front end as bieng two wheels that are not bound by stagger issues. They roll independant of each other. They do not know if they are turning or what. As long as the toe and the ackerman are working properly, how would a shorter left side of an inch or so make a change?

I have always been told to think of it as a steiger tractor that swivels in the center. The wheels never actually turn...one side gets shorter when a turn is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by missile07 View Post
    I have always been told to think of it as a steiger tractor that swivels in the center. The wheels never actually turn...one side gets shorter when a turn is needed.
    Now that makes more sense to me. I may be a bit slow, but I do catch on. Thank you!

Another CRUTCH .......... All I am sayin !

Quote Originally Posted by 1Blacksheep View Post
    Another CRUTCH .......... All I am sayin !
    Thats like say'n, running the LR clamped up is a crutch, how can it be a crutch if it works and you are fast.

With a turned stub, you run with less static toe out.