Default 350 oem block hp max

Guys getting ready to build a 383 with a stock 350 4 bolt with 30 over bore. What kind of horsepower will the block handle. 600-620 pushing my luck? I need a season out of it. Yes no maybe

i think 600hp is reasonable if you get good machine work it should live awhile. Probably need aftermarket caps or it would be a gamble. What kind of heads?

Over 600 hp can and has been done but I wouldn't recomend it. You can install billet caps other things to add strength to it, but you still are on the ragged edge. You can get a Dart SHP block and have no worries.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Rodz View Post
    Over 600 hp can and has been done but I wouldn't recomend it. You can install billet caps other things to add strength to it, but you still are on the ragged edge. You can get a Dart SHP block and have no worries.
    Bob
    X2 The added stroke and HP and torque will kill stock caps, A sonic test is a must on any OEM block!!

Quote Originally Posted by parrot69777 View Post
    As long as you use a good centered block and good billet caps....you will be fine. Also try and use a good connecting rod that you don't have to clearance the block much.
    A centered block means nothing when sonic testing, I have about 20 blocks with zero core shift but cylinders on one side are all junk or some of the blocks all the cylinders are good except one which makes the block junk for a performance build.

On the other hand I have blocks that show alot of core shift but sonic test fine.

Instead of guessing its better to sonic test and do it right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by parrot69777 View Post
    Not going to argue CNC....

Anyone using a stock block has a low budget or rules mandate they use one. Other than that they would be using an after market block.

Try and tell someone they need to buy 10 blocks just to find one that passes a sonic test and see what they tell you. Most of the guys I deal with won't spend an extra $20 if their life depended on it.
    I sonic test every OEM block that comes through the shop, Shops that don't sonic test and break a cylinder useally have to eat it when it cracks a cylinder.

Default Heads

I have a new set of dart platinum steel heads, 215 cc runners, 64 combustion chambers, with some mild port work with a port matched edelbrock super victor.
    I am just getting into the sport will be running in an ump mod or a ump sportsman on 1/4-3/8 mile tracks. Trying to make it a budget to start.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremyzx900r View Post
    I have a new set of dart platinum steel heads, 215 cc runners, 64 combustion chambers, with some mild port work with a port matched edelbrock super victor.
    I am just getting into the sport will be running in an ump mod or a ump sportsman on 1/4-3/8 mile tracks. Trying to make it a budget to start.
    I'd like to hear back from you when your block breaks and your motor is a total loss. Racing is expensive and we all want to save money. Gambling on a stock block isn't the place to save money. There's not much cost difference between a race preped stock block and an SHP block. 30 yrs ago when dirt track engines were making 400 hp, it wasn't an issue. 600 hp is pushing the limits. I've seen too many destroyed motors from broken blocks and I'm sure Carl at CNC Blocks has seen way more than I have.
    Bob

Default Question for CNC Blocks

What are your thoughts for the Bow tie blocks, should they be sonic tested? Have run an older 286 block for years.
    Thanks

Mike Bulpitt 26B

Quote Originally Posted by 26-62 racing View Post
    What are your thoughts for the Bow tie blocks, should they be sonic tested? Have run an older 286 block for years.
    Thanks

Mike Bulpitt 26B
    Any of the GM blocks should be sonic tested even bowtie blocks moreso older ones.

Question Also...........

I apoligize for jumping on your thread, but starting a new one that is very similar would be a waste. How about a stock block engine that sonics OK and has billet splayed center caps. Would it be good to use with a 355 ci, 2 bbl carb, and close to 14 to 1 comp that is just under 500 hp? Thanks for any replies......................
    Last edited by 4coil; 09-13-2012 at 08:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 4coil View Post
    I apoligize for jumping on your thread, but starting a new one that is very similar would be a waste. How about a stock block engine that sonics OK and has billet splayed center caps. Would it be good to use with a 355 ci, 2 bbl carb, and close to 14 to 1 comp that is just under 500 hp? Thanks for any replies......................
    At 500 hp with a 2 bbl I doubt you'll have any problems with a checked block. There's other factors in how far you can push a stock block. Cylinder pressure and RPM are a couple. I still use GM blocks, but over 600 hp and 8,500 RPM, I start getting nervous.
    Bob