Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Choosing a Carburetor

All our motors are 430 13/11 or 13 degree. When shopping for a carb. who makes the best one for this application. What Venturi or throttle bore size do you look for? What's the best combination to use in all situation mud and slick. I see guys changing carbs in certain track conditions. Some guys never change. What do you guys do to your carb to slow it down in icy track situations. Any help would be great.

If a fat girl falls in the forest and no one is there to see it, do the trees laugh?

All aboard the Cleveland Steamer!

Stealth, Braswell, KB carbs, and many more are good. Last carb I bought I called with the engine specs and they built it to it. Also think some guys race off the crank trigger and when the track slicks off they switch back to the distributor which retards timing. Could also be something else to check into, we always took a little gear out and peddled it.

A Lot of carb guys love selling carbs that are way to big. They make great power on the dyno but they start and restart like jack $hit. Braswell loves huge drag racing carbs for late models ... KB builds carbs that work on the race track.

I've had Braswel, KB, C&S and others and the best one for the money was a Quick Fuel.

Bottom line-The 4 circuit Braswells are junk IMO, looks at the plugs after 50 laps and you'll see what I mean. If you look at BLP's carb challenge, you'll have your answer, and he does not own a company. Best carb man on Earth, IMO.

Do you mean the Dominator carb against the 4150's? I don't see a 1050 Dominator working too well with this 430 on dirt. It was tried without much success back in the early 1990's but to each their own..

No 50j he's talking about the braswell 4825 with optional 4 circuit metering ... That was the most miserable carb I have ever bolted on. If you insist on braswell stick with a 2 circuit but I would save frustration and call KB carbs.

We tried a Braswell just back from them on a new 440 12 degree motor on the dyno and it was junk, trying everything. We bolted on an out of the box Holley 4150HP and rejeted it and had it perfect in four pulls. Not the first time the 4150hp was better than aftermarket for us. They seems to work the best with less headaches to me.

I thought he was talking about the carb shootout a couple of years ago. If so, I'd actually be looking strongly at the 4150 carbs that were barely edged out by the dominator. From there I'd look at the custom builders involved. There are too many qc problems right now with shelf carbs from what I've seen but again JMO. I think 2 circuits are hard to beat and easier to use.

I agree, I was very disapointed with both braswell carbs I've owned. I tried calling them several times to help with no luck. I finally called willy's and got one of their carbs and my engine never ran better.

Mark Whitener was who I was talking about, and NOT the Late Model racer from Orlando (this guy is from Orlando, though). Supposedly the idle circuit is what causes the Braswell 4 circuit plug issue, but for the love of Bloomerchrist, Late Models have to idle! WFO plug checks don't mean didly if your plugs are fouled from that stupid deal. Again, certain engine builders only look at TQ/HP, 2 of the most worthless data points on a dyno.

interesting comments. very interesting. lol lol lol

we haven't had any problems with braswell,but i have had to tweak it to my liking,hp carbs are a good piece too along with all the others but a custom carb for most guys can be hard to deal with if you don't know what to do to fix a problem

there are a ton of ways to order a carb also,different linkages,sizes,ect

I have had very good luck with Pro Systems carbs they build to match your engines specs and they have awesome 24/7 tech support they have helped me get through some issues even on a Saturday.

Instead of posting on here everyone should just call Brian Gray. After all braswell sold him a carb that he admits sucks on starts aka the easiest time to pass or be passed and he sings their praises.

For you engine guys out there gray is claiming to run a 1.75 Venturi carb on his 358 !!! Never mind braswell only makes up to a 1.65 in carbs you would run of a late model. So braswell made him a special 1.75 Venturi for his 3.28 stoke 358 and he's surprised it doesn't run on starts ... Yes 1.75 Venturi not baseplate !!!

3.190 stk in this one . And I still got around eldora as fast as your super cash guzzler . I did with 10 what you did with how much did you spend on that new car and motor?

Ohh that's right . You had fuel delivery issues. Maybe you should have upped that budget!

Whaaa !

I had zero engine issues of any type .... I made it to the b main both trips to eldora I have made and you have yet to even do that in far more trips. Bring your monster carb to the dream now that I have my car figured out and well see how it works out for you.

dereksehi, I completely agree with you on the Pro Systems carbs. Patrick is great to deal with and can be reached all the time. Stands behind his product 100%.

I'd sure like to have one of those SV1 carbs just for the cool factor, even though it would be all wrong for my application. lol