Default Dirt Yard 100 at the Indiana State Fairgrounds-Late Models on the Mile!

IOFS RELEASES DETAILS ON DIRTY YARD 100

Indianapolis, IN - February 8, 2011 - The International Outlaw Figure 8 Series (IOFS) was recently invited to participate in the inaugural DIRT YARD 100 July 30, 2011 and today announced details of the event as handed down by DIRT YARD 100 founder, Gary Schlafer. Several IOFS Sport Compact and Outlaw Figure 8 teams have expressed interest in participating. This will be a non-points special event for IOFS teams choosing to participate.

The inaugural event will be held at the Indiana State Fairgrounds 1 mile dirt track on July 30, 2011. The event will be held the night before the Brickyard 400 and will offer the racing fan a NASCAR alternative for the weekend.

The event will feature 4 classes of cars competing in the same event for 100 laps. 100 cars will start the event 4-wide! In addition, each car will be required to make one mandatory "hot" pit stop during this event. Alternates will be added throughout the event to ensure that there will be 100 cars on the track at all times. The race will be limited to no more 200 total entries out of the 4 classes.

The classes that will comprise the event include: BALISTICS ( Late Models and Modifieds with a wing package) which will pay $5,000 to win, UNLIMITEDS ( Late Models, Modifieds, Limited Late Models with no wing package) and will pay $3,000 to win, STOCKS ( Any type Stock car) and will pay $2,000 to win, and SPORT COMPACTS ( Any Front Wheel Drive/Hornet/Mini Stock type car ) and will pay $1,000 to win in addition to $100 to start.

This will be the first time that Sport Compact and Stock type cars have ever competed on the over 100 year old Indiana State Fairgrounds 1 mile dirt track. The Late Models and Modifieds have competed at the track sparingly over the last 18 years.

Race founder, Gary Schlafer, is encouraging teams interested in participating to file their entry ASAP as only 50 spots per class will be accepted. The entry fee is $150 but if filed before March 31, 2011 each entry will receive 2 free complimentary pit passes ( $50 each the day of the event) with the opportunity to purchase up to 4 more for only $25 each. After March 31, 2011 the entry fee will be $250 with no complimentary pit passes or the opportunity to purchase additional at the special $25 price.

Each entrant will have their name inscribed on the back of the event T-shirt. A television package is also in the works for this historic event so make plans to be a part of it. The website www.dirtyard100.com will be launched in the near future. For more details or file an entry please call Gary Schlafer (317) 610-9479 or David Sink (765) 278-8231.

http://iofsracing.com/

Should be fun! The payout for all classes is listed on the link I provided. What do you guys think ?
    Last edited by Tasker; 03-03-2011 at 08:52 PM.

Not to be rude but I don't think this will work out and deffinitly I don't think they think they won't get nearly enough cars as they think they will. Why take a chance on hurting your engine or destroying your car or equipment because of another drivers inexperience on bigger size tracks. The Late Model winner only gets $5,000 to win. No way will the get enought Late Models, Modifieds, Dirt Stocks, or any type of 4 Cylinder car with a $250 entry fee. I can't see them getting very many cars and I mean very many especially if they or going against other weekly tracks that have a good base of local racers commited to racing at that race track....
    I DON'T SEE THIS WORKING AT ALL!!!!
    Last edited by nathans2101; 03-03-2011 at 10:28 PM.
    Nathan Stephens -
    you know me as either - nathans101 or nathans1012
    new computer and new screen name and password for 4M.net

Midwest Dirt Racing (covering tracks across the U.S)
    Added a new Page: Late Model Touring Schedules
    www.midwestdirtracing.webs.com

2011 Race Count
    Brownstown Speedway - 1
    Fairbury American Legion Speedway - 1
    Hartford Motor Speedway - 1
    Illiana Motor Speedway - 2
    Kankakee County Speedway - 5
    Shadyhill Speedway - 2
    Total # of Races in 2011 - 12

Your gonna have Late models on a mile track and at the sametime have 4 cylinder cars? Are you nuts? If some guys happen to show up, you better have an endless supply of ambulance's standing by.

Quote Originally Posted by dustyface View Post
    Your gonna have Late models on a mile track and at the sametime have 4 cylinder cars? Are you nuts? If some guys happen to show up, you better have an endless supply of ambulance's standing by.

I dont know if you have seen the Indy mile but it is very WIDE. Stocks and 4-cyclinders will only be allowed to race on the bottom half of the turns to avoid collisions. Also teams will be allowed to use radios so that should help with safety.

so this is a demolition derby ? i cant see anyone i know going to this.

Quote Originally Posted by golddirt View Post
    so this is a demolition derby ? i cant see anyone i know going to this.

There have been multiple Stock and 4-cylinder entries as of now....looking for some more late model entries. Sports car racing has worked for decades with multiple classes of racing at the same time. I think a stock car race on a mile can work fine if drivers use their head.

Default a couple of things

First of all I hope by "wings" you mean the Frank Kimmel street stock series style wings to slow the cars down. IF you mean "run what ya brung" wings on a mile... wow. Also place a rule on gearing to slow speeds down.

Second top heavy payouts do not get high car counts. Its a good pay day for the winner and second but everyone else gets pretty much nothing in return for risking total lose of equipment and even there lives.

Third it could happen if the 4 cyl guys use their heads. Thats too huge of an if. And most 4 cyl guys don't have that kind of experience. And racers are gonna race where ever they can find real estate.

Quote Originally Posted by routierracing View Post
    First of all I hope by "wings" you mean the Frank Kimmel street stock series style wings to slow the cars down. IF you mean "run what ya brung" wings on a mile... wow. Also place a rule on gearing to slow speeds down.

Second top heavy payouts do not get high car counts. Its a good pay day for the winner and second but everyone else gets pretty much nothing in return for risking total lose of equipment and even there lives.

Third it could happen if the 4 cyl guys use their heads. Thats too huge of an if. And most 4 cyl guys don't have that kind of experience. And racers are gonna race where ever they can find real estate.
    The wing package means the what what ya brung style sideboards. Yes the payout is a bit top heavy but this is a great experience for every driver and team, something they will never forget. Plus a TV deal is currently in the works so it is great exposure for sponsors.

this all sounds really good on paper but it just doesnt seem very practical even on a 1 mile track.

entries are still being accepted for the Dirt Yard 100. The race's offical facebook page is at https://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk...9357387&ref=ts

im not to sure i would put a 20-30K late model on track with 500.00 cars to tear it up

Default Weight issues

I don't think I would want to be in a 1800# Late model if it were to spin out and then get hit by a 3200 # dirt stock...that could be real bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Tasker View Post
    There have been multiple Stock and 4-cylinder entries as of now....looking for some more late model entries. Sports car racing has worked for decades with multiple classes of racing at the same time. I think a stock car race on a mile can work fine if drivers use their head.
    In sports car racing ive seen the speeds dont very alot from class to class. And they are usually on paved courses with alot of corners. . ..Here you're gonna have long high speed straight aways with cars that will be running twice as fast as others. And on dirt where cars wont be able to stop as fast as if they were on pavement...Im with the other poster. Stock up on ambulances....AND tow trucks!!!

This thing will be a joke.

Better make sure all the ambulances are stocked up on body bags. People are probably gonna die!

I'm going to be in the grandstands for this. For good or bad, it is such a departure from the norm of dirt track racing it's impossible not to be interested. I think what the promoters are hoping for is each class of racecar will bring it's own fan niche similar to when they run the sportsman cars, or whatever they are, prior to the ARCA cars at Springfield. There are people in the stands that wouldn't think about being there if the sportsman cars weren't there and vice versa. Same with the mods running before the Silver Crown cars at Du Quoin, but this takes it to a whole different level.

The dirt late guys and the mod guys are gonna' have to be very careful, which will be part of the intrigue. If the boys use their head and drive smart and defensive things will work out but past experience and instinct might take over and that's when the bad stuff will happen.

I have to admit it's a novel idea.