Thread: Sbc rods

Default Sbc rods

what do u torque sbc I beam rods to with 3/8 cap screw bolts

depends on brand and bolt. in todays motors its important to use "stretch" instead of "torqure" specs. here is an article that gives some input on it

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...ool/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by rubbinsracin View Post
    depends on brand and bolt. in todays motors its important to use "stretch" instead of "torqure" specs. here is an article that gives some input on it

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...ool/index.html
    I did not know that they use stretch now instead of torque. we always used GM pink or x rods in my motors and torque them to 45 ft/lb. these rod is pro comp bushed has 8740 3/8 cap screw bolts and its all new to me.

if it helps, we have torqued anywhere from 55-75 to get the right stretch. Like above, best to use a gauge. And, the bolts are designed to be torqued 2-3 times before final torquing at installation, but be sure not to exceed the specified stretch, typically .006" at any point.

ok thanks things have changed in the motor building over the years. the last motor we built was in 2003 and we just did it the old school way, but the new rods and bolts are different now i reckon lol

I am sure someone will give me all kinds of static about this but......

I believe anytime a rod bolt stretches for any reason....it makes them weak. If a manufacturer says 45 lbs....that is what I torque it to. If it says 63lbs...79lbs....84lbs...that is what I torque it to. If they are new bolts....then I put them in a rod vise with proper lubricant and torque them to the setting and back them off....three times. Then assemble and torque them to the manufacturers setting. Been 25 years and have yet to have a rod bolt failure.

Anytime something stretches is not good. Where does the .006 come from? Is it the bolt...the threads on the bolt...or the threads in the rod? Anyone of these or any combination of these can cause issues.

Sometimes I think companies make up stuff like this so they can just sell parts.
    JD's Performance
    13034 Hwy 99
    Wapello, IA 52653
    319-931-0677

Parrot - you are right, probably nothing wrong with doing it the way you are doing. i have always been one to follow the new "technology" in a sense that we try the newest and latest thing for the couple of the guys i build for. we found that they bearings were more evenly worn when we stretch them instead of torquing them. i know for sure on high HP motors, stretch is almost always used now over just torquing them.

what would i torque the pro comp I beam rods to with 8740 3/8 cap screw bolts if i do not have a gauge. i have never used these kinds of rods with the bolts be for. we build all of my motors and has had GM pink or X rods in them and was built the old school way of torquing the nuts on the stock rods.

Get hold of the manufacturer or who you gtot them from and they should know...If they are ARP bolts you might go off their guide..

Ok i will call KMJ Performance or pro comp THANKS FOR THE HELP ON THIS.

Default torque

Quote Originally Posted by outlaw087 View Post
    what would i torque the pro comp I beam rods to with 8740 3/8 cap screw bolts if i do not have a gauge. i have never used these kinds of rods with the bolts be for. we build all of my motors and has had GM pink or X rods in them and was built the old school way of torquing the nuts on the stock rods.
    i beleive 43 ft lbs