Default Engine oil coolers

Hello everyone:
    I am looking into installing an engine oil cooler on my pavement late model and welcome the forum's wisdom.
    The basic info: Iron 350 SBC, wet sump Moroso 6 qt pan (#21314), Moroso high volume oil pump, Royal Purple 40wt synthetic oil, flat tappet, roller rockers, 650 4 bbl, etc. Nothing too special, racing on 1/4 mile med bank track, turning 6200 rpm.
    I don't have an oil temp problem now, it is between 220-240 by the end of a 40 lap feature. This being established, I am planning to run some 150 lap events on a 3/8 mile high bank track and want to be prepared.
    I have a good quality 12" x 9" cooler and Moroso block adapter, both have 1/2" NPT ports. Are -10 lines sufficient for a 6 foot run, or should I start with -12 hardware?
    I am planning to use this cooler because I have it, would it be better in the long run to invest in a radiator with a heat exchanger built into it?
    I can certainly see the mounting and plumbing benifits.
    Thanks again for reading.

RR

Quote Originally Posted by Racer Roy View Post
    Hello everyone:
    I am looking into installing an engine oil cooler on my pavement late model and welcome the forum's wisdom.
    The basic info: Iron 350 SBC, wet sump Moroso 6 qt pan (#21314), Moroso high volume oil pump, Royal Purple 40wt synthetic oil, flat tappet, roller rockers, 650 4 bbl, etc. Nothing too special, racing on 1/4 mile med bank track, turning 6200 rpm.
    I don't have an oil temp problem now, it is between 220-240 by the end of a 40 lap feature. This being established, I am planning to run some 150 lap events on a 3/8 mile high bank track and want to be prepared.
    I have a good quality 12" x 9" cooler and Moroso block adapter, both have 1/2" NPT ports. Are -10 lines sufficient for a 6 foot run, or should I start with -12 hardware?
    I am planning to use this cooler because I have it, would it be better in the long run to invest in a radiator with a heat exchanger built into it?
    I can certainly see the mounting and plumbing benifits.
    Thanks again for reading.

RR
    if your gonna run a high volume oil pump then if i was you i would get a bigger oil pan, cause really with that oil pump you are starving your bottom end for oil, it is taking it as soon as it gets to the oil pan and doesnt give it a chance to lubercate the bottom end. it is just as good to run a stock oil pump than it is a high volume, if you cant run a bigger pan. and another thing to help you keep your oil cooler is a remote oil filter, you can put it where ever you want to keep your oil a little cooler.

we run a dual kickout pan with (8qt) with a high volume pump and are also interested in putting a cooler on our DLM (when money allows to purchase the parts). do you think that the dual kickout pan would provide enough volume? we have no oil temp problems, but cooler oil is better oil which protects better/longer right?

Wet sump, Moroso sandwich adapter, Allstar 9x12 dual pass mounted in the deck, 6' -12 lines.

works beautifully, best thing we ever did, dropped the oil temps up to 100 degrees, and the water up to 40

It will hold 12 quarts after you do it

I agree with 3D, before we got a dry sump system in our DLM we had a 8 qt pan, CV adaptor with #12 lines so we could run a 2 quart remote filter and a Seatrab oil cooler. Oil temp went from 290-300* to 230*

Quote Originally Posted by hogracer3d View Post
    Wet sump, Moroso sandwich adapter, Allstar 9x12 dual pass mounted in the deck, 6' -12 lines.

works beautifully, best thing we ever did, dropped the oil temps up to 100 degrees, and the water up to 40

It will hold 12 quarts after you do it
    wow! it cooled your water down 40*? thats insane. were in that 200-215 range and would be awesome to get down to the 180-190 range!

Thanks for the info, guys.

RR