Default who runs 1/2 mile dirt - I have a gear question?

On a 1/2 mile dirt oval - are most guys running 2nd or 3rd gear?

I know the shorter ones second for sure but what about a fast 1/2 mile?

I see alot of cavaliers and neons - any idea what gear they run a fast 1/2 mile in?

I know it depends on tire size etc but in general?

My impression is they are in 3rd cause of the speed?

???

i know you stated "in general" but we have no idea what your even talking about. What type of car? What motor? what is in the car? what is your tranny ratio?

depends on ur tier size depends on ur tranny ratio depnds on ur diff ratio. in a mudstang we'd run 2nd in a neon we'd run 3rd. in a cavy prolly 3rd but use a tranny from a olds acheiva w41quad4 ho

Quote Originally Posted by boportt View Post
    depends on ur tier size depends on ur tranny ratio depnds on ur diff ratio. in a mudstang we'd run 2nd in a neon we'd run 3rd. in a cavy prolly 3rd but use a tranny from a olds acheiva w41quad4 ho
    thx boportt.

We have never run a 1/2 mile so thats why I ask. We have Neons and have both 3.55 and 3.94 final ratio trannys the second and third gears ratios (2.12 & 1.36 respectively) are all the same in both trannys. Obviously tire size is a key but i just dont know if in 2nd gear the engine rpm is enough no matter the tire size for a 1/2 mile? We can turn 7500-8000 but thats at the absolute top and about X laps away from making the engine a saturn missile battery - lol!

Thats the genesis of the question...

Trying to plan on setting up for 2nd or 3rd basically...
    Last edited by badmojoracing; 07-29-2011 at 08:44 PM.

ya thats them ratos for the neons. perty hard to beat a planet no matter wat u got. u can use newer neon trans thats got 1.95 2nd w. 355 puts u at 692 final that'll give u 8k w. 15" tiers on a 1/2 mile

Cool

ya thats them ratos for the neons. perty hard to beat a planet no matter wat u got. u can use newer neon trans thats got 1.95 2nd w. 355 puts u at 692 final that'll give u 8k w. 15" tiers on a 1/2 mile
    So that about answers my question. Based on the equipment I have - Plan on running 3rd gear and adjust tire size accordingly.

As far as the planet cars - see them around from time to time but not in droves. Hit or miss some walk away some are at the back - rarely in the middle.

Lots and Lots of Cavi's - OMG GM must of minted them.

2.2 ecotec in a olds alaro got 136 3rd and 394diff so thats the same as neons prolly cuz the guts of the trannys com from the same company new venture just bell housins r diffrent

2.2 ecotec in a olds alaro got 136 3rd and 394diff so thats the same as neons prolly cuz the guts of the trannys com from the same company new venture just bell housins r diffrent
    I think you are right... Same company / same internal guts - different bell housing.

i would run the 3.94 in 3rd with some small tires bout all you can realy do without killing the thing
    62 mini mod

As Stated above use the 3.94 tranny in 3rd gear and a tire in the mid 72" size for a starting point! Gives ya a 5.35:1 total 3rd gear its perfect with a 195/60 or 50 tire depending on revlimiter and compression of the motor!

start there! also that makes a great 1/4 mile 2nd gear!

Quote Originally Posted by Irace93 View Post
    As Stated above use the 3.94 tranny in 3rd gear and a tire in the mid 72" size for a starting point! Gives ya a 5.35:1 total 3rd gear its perfect with a 195/60 or 50 tire depending on revlimiter and compression of the motor!

start there! also that makes a great 1/4 mile 2nd gear!
    thx - assume thats on a 14 inch rim.

200 r's diff betwen 13 and 14" tiers

Quote Originally Posted by badmojoracing View Post
    thx - assume thats on a 14 inch rim.
    Nope 15" Wheels!