Default timing help using msd ingnition

when setting timing -using msd ingnition and dist. settiming then watching timing as u rev engine up the timing starts to retard and keeps going the more you rev it up . what is happening ? this is on a sbc please help?

by the way i have replaced dist. thinking it was the problem

Default timing help using msd ingnition

oldfartracer

First question what MSD box are you running? I will assume for now a MSD 6AL since that is is common type in Dirt. What we have seen for the past couple of years happen with certain timing lights you might need to swap the pickup on the #1 sparkplug wire. What I am talking about is there is usually a arrow that is suppose to point towards the engine on the case of the sensor. In some cases this sensor needs to be pointed the other direction. This is not the first time I am hearing about this, since you swapped out the dist already then that takes that out of the picture for now. Make sure the magnetic trigger wires ( Purple & Green ) have not been reversed. If they are reversed it can cause the timing to do strange things as well. From the sensor in the Dist you should be Black wire with orange tracer goes to purple wire & Black wire with Purple tracer goes to the Green wire. I hope this helps you out.

ep33510

Pat Collins
    Techwest Racing Services
    704-995-4286
    techwest@techwestracing.com
    www.techwestracing.com

Quote Originally Posted by ep33510 View Post
    oldfartracer

First question what MSD box are you running? I will assume for now a MSD 6AL since that is is common type in Dirt. What we have seen for the past couple of years happen with certain timing lights you might need to swap the pickup on the #1 sparkplug wire. What I am talking about is there is usually a arrow that is suppose to point towards the engine on the case of the sensor. In some cases this sensor needs to be pointed the other direction. This is not the first time I am hearing about this, since you swapped out the dist already then that takes that out of the picture for now. Make sure the magnetic trigger wires ( Purple & Green ) have not been reversed. If they are reversed it can cause the timing to do strange things as well. From the sensor in the Dist you should be Black wire with orange tracer goes to purple wire & Black wire with Purple tracer goes to the Green wire. I hope this helps you out.

ep33510

Pat Collins
    Techwest Racing Services
    704-995-4286
    techwest@techwestracing.com
    www.techwestracing.com
    pat i remember a big stink a couple years back about the polarity being reversed on some boxes... How can we check that.

OFR not sure if you built the motor or not. If not may want to make sure a cam button was installed

its not reversed on the box its on the dist.

you can reverse your two wires plugging in the dist with some jumper wires..

you want to leave them hooked up the way that provides the most retarded timing

need help asap,checked timing light still retarding,switched msd box and still retards,and made sure wires were hooked up correctly

the pick up on the dist can be reversed from the factory at times... you need to switch those wires like i said above and test it.

Default cam button

MSD wires, or cam walk, check wire colors and make sure thecam button is in place; if you have an hei distributor to put in and try, it can rule out or MSD stuff and lead to the cam button.
    Last edited by dylchris; 09-10-2011 at 02:34 PM. Reason: add ed onfo

I would say the first thing is what box and distributor are you using.
    BUCKLE UP NOW, YA HEAR?

What timing light are you using. Dial-back type timing lights don't always work the best with MSD boxes.

Try a Flaming River FR1001 battery powered timing light.
    Crewchief #21 Modified Hansen Motorsports 2014 GRT by Phillips IMCA Modified

ok guys thanks for all your help on this turned out to be exsessive cam walk fixed that problem gone thanks guys again and thanks 4 m