Thread: LR spring angle

Default LR spring angle

I see most all the 4 bar cars the LR spring looks mounted with it leaned towards the rear of car. Is the spring mounted this way to keep the coil over and birdcage from binding during travel or is there another reason.
    How much angle seems to be the normal?

yes for the most part it's at that angle to keep the shock heims from binding.some chassis builders have the spring standing straight up at ride ht but as the lr travels down and forward it pulls the lower shock in the same arch.I've seen them at 7 degree at ride ht also so it's just what the chassis builder fills works best.here's few photos in the first one the lr is at full drop and you can see the heims joints they have plunty of room to pivot more if needed.

Thanks racin6mod!!!

20 degree layback on this chassis..............

why so much angle back?

is that 20 degrees at full drop or at ride ht.?

Looks like ride height to me..

The further back the spring atachs to the chassis the more control a softer spring will have . Dont forget that more angle naturaly decreases a springs rate of control. Mountings must be placed in an arc so hike is not deminished. 6 of one , half dozen of another. Clearance is the main focus .

Cool

Thats one of these racecars.http://www.evolutionmotorsports.net/home.html
    BUSTING OURS TO KICK YOURS

Never seen one of those cars go good around here. They do well in some parts but that spring layback is very excessive. You're throwing the slider into a bind as well as needing a STIFFER spring.
    Curious that we spend more time congratulating people who have succeeded than encouraging people who have not.

Quote Originally Posted by stock car driver View Post
    I bet someone was just looking at that angle the mount above the lower looks more realistic a little in front and would work well..

I really like that rear design, I went to their site and their lack of a halo over the driver wouldnt work for me. the bar is above the drivers head not around it.
    Yeah, when you are 6 foot 4 inches tall it becomes a real issue!!! :-)

we have a 2011 evolution car for sale if anyone is interested, its got about 10 races on it.

http://www.evolutionmotorsports.net/mikejarvis11.html

Cool

I like seeing tubes bent a little out of the ordinary , Looks like someones doing some thinking rather than just copying something that already exists . That design should isolate damage , good idea .

Quote Originally Posted by TeamGRT12x View Post
    Never seen one of those cars go good around here. They do well in some parts but that spring layback is very excessive. You're throwing the slider into a bind as well as needing a STIFFER spring.
    2010 + Hughes Chassis look to have similar layback and work really well. (175 Spring)

I don't see how it will bind as much as it will limit hike, correct me if I'm wrong. (not an attack on you, just learning)

I dig the tail design.... Way to think outside the box !!

Quote Originally Posted by JHobbs26 View Post
    we have a 2011 evolution car for sale if anyone is interested, its got about 10 races on it.

http://www.evolutionmotorsports.net/mikejarvis11.html
    how much is he asking?

Quote Originally Posted by TeamGRT12x View Post
    I cant see how it would bind as long as the mounts are lined up and you run it through the motions. could just as easily bind one up with it slightly layed in and straight up and down.

Quote Originally Posted by powerslide View Post
    how much is he asking?
    Was wanting $4000 for chassis/body, tear drop fuel cell, 2 sets of evo upper a arms, and evo birdcages. Basically everything they got that is unique to this car.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Blacksheep View Post
    I like seeing tubes bent a little out of the ordinary , Looks like someones doing some thinking rather than just copying something that already exists . That design should isolate damage , good idea .
    This car i posted pictures of got backed into the wall at Humboldt, KS and it did exactly that, it folded over behind the suspension points. We ordered new tubing from Andy, welded it all back up and is as good as new.

Kojak... Not to rain on your parade but the 2010 and up Hughes cars don't have near that much lay back in the left rear spring.

Any time you lay a coil over eliminator at an angle you have more of a chance at bind that you would straight up and down. Not saying that this setup binds, but you've got a lot better chance at adding some drag to the slider with that much angle. IMO too much angle.
    Last edited by TeamGRT12x; 01-09-2012 at 05:48 PM.
    Curious that we spend more time congratulating people who have succeeded than encouraging people who have not.

[QUOTE=TeamGRT12x;1480070]Kojak... Not to rain on your parade but the 2010 and up Hughes cars don't have near that much lay back in the left rear spring.

No parade here. I said "look to have".