Default Crankshaft and rods

I need everyone's info on crankshaft. What is the best value money wise and weight wise on a 3.48 stroke crank. And same on rods. Thanks for any help

Check your PM's, I wrote you a book haha.
    Crew Chief "Tip of the day":
    Most handling problems can be solved by adjusting the screw-ball. It can be difficult to fine tune at times. Explaining yourself loudly and striking it on top of the helmet with a dead blow hammer usually works well.

Thanks for the info. Kinda heavy crankshaft

i prefer crower and callies cranks. stay away from the china stuff. you can buy a nice used l/w callies or crower for less than the new price of a scat, eagle ect.. i've got a callies crank in one of my motors going on year #7. i bought it used.

Used a set of K1 Technologies "HJ" rods 2 seasons and no problems, sizing is dead on. Callies Compstar Comet cranks very hard to beat for the money, weight, and sizing.
    Josh K.

Callies compstar comet here too

Anybody know of a used one for sale?

Compstar, which is a division of Callies, admits to using overseas foundries and forgings then machine in the USA with Callies equipement and quality control.

compstar china foundry
    callies japan foundry

both finished in USA

Ive have good luck with ohio also forged non usa and finished here. Ive talked to mike there and he named off a lot of cranks for more money being forged at the same place as their ohio.

Ive never had fitment issues with ohio, rpm, eagle, scat, renegade, sgi.. renegade, sgi, scat, rpm looked identical. ohio has a different nicer appearance which even my callies dragonslayer wasnt as nice appearing.

2years ago me and another engine guy bought a couple of 4340 forged lightweight cranks.Mine was a RPM 43lbs version.The pcs. looks real nice gun drilled and works great no issues during assembly or balance(had to remove 3 grams from 1 throw)uses lrg. radius bearings.Mine freind bought a light weight scat same roughly 43 lbs all other features the same but his crank flange is scalloped.He had to remove 19 grams during balancing.We both use lightweight scat 6 inch I beam 4340 rods and also use same ross pistons.I paid 579 for mine and he paid over 1100 for his from same supplier.So my choice is the rpm.but yet still both are made by ho-che-min.I also mag alot of parts (my specailty lvl 2 certified ndt quality control inspector)and have found that alot of the cheaper4340 cranks crack in the radius after 2 years of hard operation(over 7200 rpm on a regular basis).Ask your engine builder how he mags his cranks .it takes a big machine to do it properly if he takes out this little box and gives it a charge and sprinkles or sprays some median on it its not the correct procedures and could still be cracked.The big dollar cranks are better for durability but only a couple seasons at best.the moral of the story is a part can still be good but used up

Know a few guys that have Callies Magnum XL cranks in 800 hp DLM's going on 5-6 seasons...Still mag good, along with both Carillo rods and Crower billet rods...

A good friend swears by the Howards parts - cranks, rods, piistons.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdevil View Post
    A good friend swears by the Howards parts - cranks, rods, piistons.
    howards,..ohio,..an k-1 all make nice stuff for the money,..lot better investment than other popluer brands you see everywhere,...but id check any new or used part 9 ways from sunday!! i like a good gm cast crank till ya get upwards on power an rpm...best bang for da buck!

have a crank and rods from 1991 been a limited assembly 8,000 w at least 15 seasons on em. callies crank oliver rods. good enough for me