Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Setup ?

Bolted some weight down today on the main right side frame rail up by the front of the X(30lb). Another chunk(45lb) above it on upper rail. I have another 25lb chunk that I am still trying to decide on where to put. Moved the battery to the right side behind the RR tire. Took 5 gal out of fuel cell.

25lb chunk up by fifth coil shock
    L 52.4
    R 54.7
    C 53.3

25lb chunk over LR shock
    L 52.9
    R 55.5
    C didnt check
    LR 142#

All weights are with driver weight in car.
    Moving battery to right side was worth about 1% loss of left side. Kept the left battery mount in the car so I could change back if I wanted.

Which would you start with and why?

Would you change anything and why?

I am leaning towards the one with lead over LR shock.

I called GRT and Joe was too busy to talk and didnt call me back so I will have to talk to him later.

~Thanks for all the help~

We scale our w/o the driver...He is about 210 lbs...We are usually 52.8-52.9 LS w/o driver...start the night somewhere around 54% rear with 8 gallons of fuel and 75 lbs of bite

I would be concerned with the battery mounted on the right side.Those cars are generally tight and that would make it more so.GRT, MB, Rocket all mount their batteries on the left with BWRC in the center.

With that said,if ur on a spec hard RR or the track tends to get sandy or slick by the feature, it might not be a bad idea.

Sometimes you just have to try things in dirt racing to see if it makes your car faster. Good luck

Just got off the phone with GRT and asked again if # on web site were with driver and he said yes. When I sarted to explain what I did and what I was doing he said no those are without driver...with driver you need 54.5 left and 55 rear...These sound better to everyone?

Also he seemed preoccupied with work in the shop and I was not able to get good info on indexing the bird cages. He gave me a starting point of all the way to the back of the 3 slots and as high as possible...I take it that this provides the least amount of indexing? Do this on both sides? What does this mean/do compared to other options? When and why do you change this? What does moving up/down/forward/back do?

The closer to center of the axle the quicker the reaction and thrust.. I'm not sure about moving it foreward, The last set of cages we had that had that option were Berts and that was years ago.We have played with bar location on the birdcage in the past on both sides. If your car is hooked up, and your driver has a soft foot they may like dropping it on the LR 1/2" (at a time), as they don't have to work the pedal as hard to manipulate the car, but if the car isn't hooked up its a burden because it still reacts quicker and that can make it harder to keep the tires connected to the track (easier to break them loose).On the right side, dropping the top bar tends to loosen the car up on the throttle. Some drivers like this on a tacky track, especially if you frequently encounter tight on exit symptoms (GRT's typically do).I'd just worry about getting the car handling pretty good before I started making adjustments like that. Sometimes if the car isn't right, it can do more damage than good, but if the car is right, these changes can help you gain a little bit if used in the correct situation.Later,WV Race Fan
    Last edited by WV_Race_Fan; 05-04-2012 at 08:14 PM.

Thanks WV, that helps. I am just trying to understand all the adjustments as best I can and probably won't get to this one for a while, but would like to understand what it does. ~Thanks again~