Default AVGAS? What happened?

I've talked to people around my area that's used 100ll airplane gas. Well I filled mine this past weekend and melted the front piston and busted the front 2 plugs. This is a 2300 .010 pistons out of the hole, head cut to the intake bolts, around 12-12.5 to 1. Been running 110 sunoco and 93 mix for years. Not had any motor problems till now. So all the talk about avgas in my opinion, DON'T DO IT. Run race gas in a race motor. I'll use airplane gas for killing weeds!

Quote Originally Posted by drtlvr View Post
    I've talked to people around my area that's used 100ll airplane gas. Well I filled mine this past weekend and melted the front piston and busted the front 2 plugs. This is a 2300 .010 pistons out of the hole, head cut to the intake bolts, around 12-12.5 to 1. Been running 110 sunoco and 93 mix for years. Not had any motor problems till now. So all the talk about avgas in my opinion, DON'T DO IT. Run race gas in a race motor. I'll use airplane gas for killing weeds!
    AVGAS is very dry, made for low compresion engines, and made to atomize at 10,000 feet, not sea level, it is also designed for an engine that operates at or near full throttle at all times. The racing planes that do pylon racing do not even use AVGAS because they fly to low, they use other racing fuels.

Sounds to me like it leaned out
    my daughter my sailor my hero the next greatest generation is our men and women now in harms way Pray for them

another lesson learned as to why not to run av gas. buy the right stuff and save money in the long run. you need a good 110 octane for 12.5 to 1.

Default air plane

when your car has a prop, tail stablizers and flaps than buy avgas. Until than buy racing fuel. Avgas says it all

There was a time , many decades ago , that av gas had the most lead and octane you could get . That was before there was really a race gas industry . Now , things have changed . 100LL av gas is Low Lead , very low lead . And a much lower octane to match . Any decent 110 octane race gas is superior to av gas in all respects . Av gas is less expensive , but considering the many advantages of race gas , the price difference isn't all that big .

Another thing is an airplane engine only turn about 2500 rpm at cruise not 7000. Lower compression for reliability. A race motor is just the opposite.

Got rid of the avgas and went back to using race fuel 110. Rebuilt motor and won 2 in a row. Woohoo.

i mix avgas gas with race gas and have had no problems..about half and half