Default Engine Oil What To Use?

Have been using a 25w-50 mineral oil for 6 years now with no problems at all, the oil is now no longer in a drum.
    We do about 120 laps a night and change the next day regardless of the amount of laps the car as done ( thats just how we run our program ).
    The oil as been supplyed by a sponsor for years now but can't supply us with smaller bottles.
    So, we are at the cross roads of where to next ? What do we use ?
    We will now be paying for our oil and want something thats going to last as long as possible without walking on thin ice and leave an open window for an engine blow up or failure of some sort.
    We were leaning towards a JoeGibs oil, but not sure what one to ues, others ave suggested Lucas oils.
    What is going to be compatable with our setupwe ave now and the weight oil that has been in the engine?
    360 ci on alcohole
    steel block 4.145 bore
    3.335 crank
    16 deg brodix heads
    high comp all light weight stuff
    4 stage drysump turning around 8600 rpm
    we pre-heat our oil before startup and the oil temp in race trim runs around 220f.

What are you recommendations ????

Cheers

Scheaffers 7000 or brad penn...both are 20-50.

gibbs xp6 is a 15-50 oil
    Last edited by stockcar5; 07-23-2012 at 10:07 PM.

I am currently building an engine Very similar to yours. I am going to run Joe Gibbs XP7(semi syn 10w40), or XP3(full syn 10w30). I currently use XP6(full syn15w50) in my all aluminum engine. Very pleased with it.

BTW, I wouldn't buy Gibbs oil by the drum, because I've noticed some of the additives settle in the bottom of my XP6 if its been setting very long at all, so I shake it up before I pour it out. I buy mine in the 2.5 gal jugs (cheaper than quarts) whenever I change my oil, and pour whats left into quart bottles for adding later. Just my 2 cents.
    Last edited by dbr25; 07-23-2012 at 10:07 PM.

How many laps do most ppl run on the gibbs oil
    semi syn compared to full syn ?

The XP7 is the one we were looking at.

I run my Gibs oil 500-600 laps.
    My sarcasm is a pre-emptive strike to your stupidity!!

Has anyone used the XP9 oil ?

i run xp9. no issues so far.

Renegade Oil www.renegadepro1.com might be a good bet for you . They offer a lot of different products . The price is right too .

For alcohol,Royal Purple is the best bet.

we were running XP3, since we got the engine freshened we have ran XP9 in it...No problems...

As the engine sits, it is set up to run 20w-50 oil, could we be doing more harm then good by going to a 10w-40 oil? Or should we stick to the same weight oil that we've been running.
    We are not chasing any extra hp.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz View Post
    As the engine sits, it is set up to run 20w-50 oil, could we be doing more harm then good by going to a 10w-40 oil? Or should we stick to the same weight oil that we've been running.
    We are not chasing any extra hp.
    Email Gibbs and they can tell you. tech@joegibbsdriven.com

I sent a email and Lake Speed jr. emailed back within a few minutes. He recommended xp7 to me, but also said I could run xp3 with my clearances and would make a little more hp. My engine is nearly identical to yours except mine is on gas and Brodix spec heads. They will want to know your bearing clearances, and if they are below .003, I'll bet he'll recommend xp7 since you will change so often.

I have sat in a couple good oil seminars and both stated that more viscocity does not always mean more protection. Here's a read on viscocity: http://joegibbsdriven.com/trainingce...viscosity.html

Default Best oil

Run anything by amsoil I run the dominator 20w-50 in both my cars by far the best oil out there and I've run just about everything get about 200 laps out of it and it would go more I just don't push it if you need info on it give me a call 601-616-1467

Amsoil would be the oil of choice! It beats all of the other "race" oils hands down in testing. The other oils are good but why settle for second best? Gibbs oil uses Citgo base stocks! Amsoil uses Mobil 1 base stocks, the best in the buisness! They are all good but if you have the choice I would go with the leader! Just sayin!