Thread: imca mod engine

Default imca mod engine

I have to put together a new engine for my mod. i have been using 383's and a 406. last season i blew both the 383's and down to that 406.

well i was thinking of using a ls motor. anyone ever do that? i have a cast iron 6.0 sitting in the shop and that block and heads look pretty fast.

what would i do for a cam? can some one custom grind a flat tappet cam for that engine? i know id have to add a distributor too.

is all this worth it or would this be a dead end.

it wouldnt be legal for imca. the firing order is incorrect and i dont think they allow non 23 degree heads.

Default Ah dream shot in the ass quick lol.

Thanks stockcar5. i never thought of that rule guess i only applied the ones i wanted. kinda closed minded looking at that. thats great to get your input.

Yes the heads are cast iron on this one was in a truck. shame i cant run it as the intake ports are huge i can fit my hand in it. and that block looks (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) strong. especialy the main caps.

so now my build switches to a old school chevy. wich i been ok on power but could use a little more low end off the corner grunt. especialy since the 7800 rule

its say oem firing order (gm 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2) you may be able to get a cutom ground cam to use that firing order with a ls engine.
    if you were serious about it i'd call imca and see what they say. my guess is it would be a no go since it's different and doesnt require an imca stamp.

Default easier to ask for forgiveness than permission

Really hate to take that route would rather be the only car out there that figured it out and able to run a ls motor.

http://www.schwankeshortblocks.com/

give Tim a call, he's been doing LS1 circle track motors for a long time now.

Since that line of engine's Original Equipment Manufacturer's firing order is 18726543, wouldn't that make it legal? Not all OEM firing orders are 18436572...

Ls base motors are not 23 degree heads. Plus they are roller cams and are not allowed. Next you would have to have a distributer. And ls use crank pick up. Some day maybe.

gm makes a front cover for ls motors that use a distributor and a standard fuel pump. also im sure a non roller cam can be ground for an ls motor.

For the time and money, i dont think it would be worth it. After they tested the CT525 crate last year and gave it a no, i doubt they would allow a ls to compete.
    It'll be fine

Don't forget, a CT525 is an all aluminum engine. This guy has an all iron engine...