Default tranny fluid questions

How often or how many laps do you change your fluid in your Bert tranny? What brands seem to work better?

well i own harmony transmission in nc. we run synthetic dex 3 in ours we have a stable of 4 cars they change there oil every 10 races. 3 of them are stock berts mine is a modified bert uses different clutches and bearing and i do not change my oil only ad if it needs it mine is built once a year they get 2 + years out of theres. any tranny i build for something that pulls / works we put synthetic in it. hope it helps

Many folks may tell you to run 1 weekend then drain and replace. Personally, I'll run two weekends before I drain and replace (to be clear, two weekends for me, usually means 1 show a week). If I run two shows in a weekend, I'll change it for the following. There's no cardinal rule here, just make it part of your weekly maintenance routine.

As for the fluid, I run Type F tranny fluid...whatever brand is on sale. I've had this Bert for 5 or 6 years and see no noticeable signs of accelerated wear, so the cheap Type F must be good enough to meet the task. Depends on your budget, I suppose.

Good luck.

Change mine everytime i change my engine oil, which is every 2 races. Bert recommends type F atf. Freshned mine 10 seasons ago, and tear it down every winter, and always looks great. Just remember when you are changing the fluid you are keeping it flushed out, which keeps the normal-wear flakes out of the clutch pack and bearings.
    Last edited by dirtplay18; 01-22-2013 at 11:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtplay18 View Post
    Change mine everytime i change my engine oil, which is every 2 races. Bert recommends type F atf. Freshned mine 10 seasons ago, and tear it down every winter, and always looks great. Just remember when you are changing the fluid you are keeping it flushed out, which keeps the normal-wear flakes out of the clutch pack and bearings.
    you are 100% correct. but these guys just don't have the time knowing they should.so i put them on the dex 3 syn. mine is a different story i only have one clutch dist woven carbon fiber and every thing has been lightened. i did try the bert blue but it turned black with my clutch set up and the dex is still red at the end of the season.

I talked to a guy who rebuilds Bert's and he said run motor oil instead of trans fluid in them. Saves the clutches better. I can't remember the weight he said, maybe straight 30.

Just type f every two races.

I run mobil synthetic atf and change it every 10 races.

I rum strait 30 in my brinn change it once a year and haven't put any clutches in for the past 3 yrs still looks new inside. tear it down every winter.

At my shop I rebuild and modify berts,brinns and falcons. customers use 30# motor oil,type f trany fluid. I can't honestly say I have noticed a big difference in wear. the motor oil adds a film on the gears but also on the clutches the type f is better for the clutches but not so much for the gears. the synthetic dex 3 answers both problems keeps the gears well lubed and keeps the clutch pack cool/clean. no need to change out often. check the mag on the fill plug for flakes of metal this you should check every week as part of your main. proggram.