Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default crate over heating need help

Last night car started over heating. Have krc racing pullies and its a serpentine belt. I have not tension pully on it. Could the belt be sliping even though its tight. I got to 240 and stopped but theres no steam or water coming out of the over flow. I have no restrictions in the goose neck.

You need some restriction in the t stat housing. Your water may be moving through the radiator to fat to be properly cooled.

Get a 19" GM 32 degree pitch 4 blade fan

Do i need to use a thermastat or do i need to put something in the goose need to reduse water flow

They make reducers in various sizes. Try a 1 inch, see if that helps. If it helps but not enough, go smaller, like 7/8 or 3/4. It should fit in the area under the neck, where a thermostat would normally go.

we have the same krc set up I wonder if 30% reduction is to much for a motor with a 6200 chip

What radiator do you run? Where is the sending unit for the temp gauge? How many nights in radiator? What fan and water pump you running?
    My sarcasm is a pre-emptive strike to your stupidity!!

Read the stewart tips in the link above. With the crate you will need 1:1 pulleys with the slower engine speed. I use a 7/8" restrictor, 1:1 pulleys, 15" four blade fan (with a good shroud), 26" wide single pass radiator and a stewart water pump and have a hard time getting over 190. I had to put the restrictor in the intake water outlet to get some heat in the engine.

Single pass radaitor, one to one pulleys, nothing to slow flow, the radiator can disipate heat MUCH faster than a pump will move it thru and slowing flow can cause steam pockets in the engine because the water is not moving fast enough, Proper fan spaced correctly from the radiator and a schroud. No issues with over heating running a crate or super at 100 degree track air temps.
    All of this is straight from Stewarts site.

The same morons recommend slowing the water down everytime this topic comes up ...

The same morons recommend slowing the water down everytime this topic comes up ...

im running a 2 blade 19in fan with krc pullies. And its a double pass radiator.

if this helps any i can cool it down with the hose spraying it in the rad. Is this an air flow issue?

Sounds to me you need more fan.
    My sarcasm is a pre-emptive strike to your stupidity!!

Either that or get someone to run around the track in front of you with a water hose.Put the 1-1 pulleys and the 4 blade 19 inch GM fan on and race.

practiced today and put a restictor in and does not get over 185. Just so the ones know what i done that are having the same problem. Thought bout straping my crew cheif to the hood with the hose but that was to much work.

Quote Originally Posted by bluemod View Post
    practiced today and put a restictor in and does not get over 185. Just so the ones know what i done that are having the same problem. Thought bout straping my crew cheif to the hood with the hose but that was to much work.
    When you get dirt in the radiator it is probably going to over heat again, the restrictors are a crutch for an improper cooling system.

Two blade props are for airplanes!

ok thanks i will start looking more into it and see if i can fix whats wrong instead of a restrictor