Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Wow Illinois sounds nice too. I probably wont be racing late models and will stick with the super stock and hobby stock classes as they are the most affordable year in and out without big sponsors. What is the difference between the souths red dirt and the black dirt you are talking about runyou-2?

Quote Originally Posted by camarofever View Post
    Wow Illinois sounds nice too. I probably wont be racing late models and will stick with the super stock and hobby stock classes as they are the most affordable year in and out without big sponsors. What is the difference between the souths red dirt and the black dirt you are talking about runyou-2?

The color!....LOL Just kiddin!

The red dirt IS good to race on,no question. One drop of water on it makes it slickern owl chit,but when packed i think it holds moisture well,better than blk dirt, without a lot of work,track prep.Red dirt no doubt can be a real hammer down track,wet or semi dry.IMO it ruts easier,and gets very rough easier than a well prepped blk dirt track.Arca cars race on blk dirt at DuQuoin and Springfield,both Mile tracks and prepped so smooth they look like Asphalt.

Black dirt IMO,requires a lot more track prep,tons and tons of water for a fast track.For a big show some tracks water for 3 days,even when it's only in the 80's sometimes,but....when you lay down and seal a moist black dirt track,you will have a hard time busting a tire loose anywhere on it,even with fire breathing monster motors.When it's moist and well prepped,it's going to be a bad azz fast track with this sticky black dirt.On the other hand....it will turn...slickern owl chit...when it dries. You gotta START with a TON of moisture down deep in it to hold.
    During the hot summer,sometimes after qualifying and heat races the track can become dry slick.When the sun goes down and stops burning the top off....The moisture will actually come back to the top before semi and features start.It makes deciding what tire to run a much bigger game for many.

Not dissing either way,i think it's great we have a choice.

I'd say any area east of Vegas would be fine..

I think Ballpark, California is an excellent choice.

katekerillr: How? i live here and think it sucks.... no car count or tracks that treat the drivers right.

Quote Originally Posted by runyou-2 View Post
    The color!....LOL Just kiddin!

The red dirt IS good to race on,no question. One drop of water on it makes it slickern owl chit,but when packed i think it holds moisture well,better than blk dirt, without a lot of work,track prep.Red dirt no doubt can be a real hammer down track,wet or semi dry.IMO it ruts easier,and gets very rough easier than a well prepped blk dirt track.Arca cars race on blk dirt at DuQuoin and Springfield,both Mile tracks and prepped so smooth they look like Asphalt.

Black dirt IMO,requires a lot more track prep,tons and tons of water for a fast track.For a big show some tracks water for 3 days,even when it's only in the 80's sometimes,but....when you lay down and seal a moist black dirt track,you will have a hard time busting a tire loose anywhere on it,even with fire breathing monster motors.When it's moist and well prepped,it's going to be a bad azz fast track with this sticky black dirt.On the other hand....it will turn...slickern owl chit...when it dries. You gotta START with a TON of moisture down deep in it to hold.
    During the hot summer,sometimes after qualifying and heat races the track can become dry slick.When the sun goes down and stops burning the top off....The moisture will actually come back to the top before semi and features start.It makes deciding what tire to run a much bigger game for many.

Not dissing either way,i think it's great we have a choice.
    Runyou2, you're spot on about Springfield & Du Quoin, Bob Sargent and his staff have the track prep down pat for those two tracks and 3 of the 4 races he promotes at those two places are day shows. I will say this, though, it rained late in the afternoon prior to the Ted Horn Memorial 100 for USAC Silver Crown cars at Du Quoin this past Labor Day Weekend and the added moisture lent itself to some of the drivers racing right out near the wall for almost the entire 100 miles. Robert Ballou especially flirted with the wall lap after lap. We asked Sarge what was different from his usual track prep and he really didn't have an answer but the only variable was the late afternoon shower.

As far as the difference between red and black track surfaces we've seen them both be good and bad. All things being equal there isn't much difference.