Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton_Wetter View Post
    Creepy-stalker, it's great to see you got to go to Bristol while your boy was still able to race. Hehehe!
    Quote Originally Posted by retired racer View Post
    You're mistaken about the shirt I still have, it says 7 time cup champion , what does your Martin shirt say? is it peace on earth and good will towards man, was his number 6 or was it 7 , or was that the number of times he couldn't handle the pressure and finished 2'nd to the 3 goodby.
    Never had a Martin shirt but I've got a couple of 7 time champion shirts. They commemorate the first and legitimate 7 time champion. Not the johnny come lately illegitimate 7 time champion that required NASCAR to be deeply in his pocket in order to win at least a couple of those 7. Was ironhead ever voted most popular driver? Why yes he was, but only after he was racing on the big superspeedway in the sky and after a classy move by Bill Elliott who withdrew from the voting in 2001.

I also have a special place for my Bobby Labonte 2000 Winston Cup Championship shirt. That one is really special since Bobby won the Cup in spite of NASCAR's best efforts to give it to ol' ironhead as they had done 10 years earlier. That championship thankfully stymied a lot of chirping from those afflicted with acute ironheaditis.

Oh the sorrow of ironheaditis. It's not fatal and thankfully no longer contagious! LOL!!

Footnote:
    Full credit goes to BBQB for the detection, identification and naming of ironheaditis.

I'm a Dale Sr. fan through and through. I also suffer from Ironheaditis. 7 Championships are 7 Championships and if we're talking about Petty a lot can be said about the type of cars that were driven back then. The King had more than enough help from a lack of rules and a superior car during some of his wins. If you discredit Sr. there are also ways to discredit some of Pettys wins. To me they both were great drivers and I wish I was a bit older when they were in their heyday. Jimmy will get 8 though, so...

Guess I'm guilty of having Ironheaditis also, First dirt track I ever went to as a kid I watched a young Earnhardt wrench on his Dad's car. Watched Ralph win on dirt at Metrolina Speedway and watched a young Dale win several races a few years later at the same track after Ralph passed away and they had paved the place. I was a Dale Earnhardt fan before he jumped on the NASCAR train. I'm pretty sure his 7 Championships are Legit ( Dale could drive a Volkswagon to victory lane if thats all he had )He was a wheelman for sure. Some liked him, some hated him.Not to change the subject but how did this thread go from the topic of Nascar does it again ( screws up qualifying at Atlanta ) to bashing people for who they pull or pulled for ?I been away from 4m for a couple of years but man it sure seems alot different around here than it used to be ( lol )

This is the tailgate section anything can go on.

Quote Originally Posted by drano View Post
    This is the tailgate section anything can go on.
    Green rep if I could. - The JOKER!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mittvok View Post
    I'm a Dale Sr. fan through and through. I also suffer from Ironheaditis. 7 Championships are 7 Championships and if we're talking about Petty a lot can be said about the type of cars that were driven back then. The King had more than enough help from a lack of rules and a superior car during some of his wins. If you discredit Sr. there are also ways to discredit some of Pettys wins. To me they both were great drivers and I wish I was a bit older when they were in their heyday. Jimmy will get 8 though, so...
    Mit, the big difference between The King and ironhead is that The King didn't have NASCAR in his pocket. In fact the Petty's locked horns with NASCAR on more than one occasion.

The deal at Charlotte and Martinsville in 1990 that blatantly and deliberately cost Martin the championship, at Rockingham in '98 or '99, even the deal at Bristol in '99 didn't pass the smell test since precedent had been established at Sears point with the incident involving Ricky Rudd and Davey Allison. The deal at Daytona after the rollover on the backstretch. Even the 1998 Daytona 500 win smelled a bit fishy according to Ed Hinton's book on Daytona. There is much more but you get the picture and I post too long anyway.

It's documented common knowledge that ironhead kept company with Bill France Jr. on a regular basis, took him deep sea fishing in the Bahama's among many, many other things that curried favor with France Jr. The King never did any of that kind of stuff.

It's impossible to know just how good ol' ironhead really was since there was so much leeway given by NASCAR in his favor that was never extended to other drivers.

My beef is/was with NASCAR not ironhead.

Quote Originally Posted by CIRF View Post
    Mit, the big difference between The King and ironhead is that The King didn't have NASCAR in his pocket. In fact the Petty's locked horns with NASCAR on more than one occasion.

The deal at Charlotte and Martinsville in 1990 that blatantly and deliberately cost Martin the championship, at Rockingham in '98 or '99, even the deal at Bristol in '99 didn't pass the smell test since precedent had been established at Sears point with the incident involving Ricky Rudd and Davey Allison. The deal at Daytona after the rollover on the backstretch. Even the 1998 Daytona 500 win smelled a bit fishy according to Ed Hinton's book on Daytona. There is much more but you get the picture and I post too long anyway.

It's documented common knowledge that ironhead kept company with Bill France Jr. on a regular basis, took him deep sea fishing in the Bahama's among many, many other things that curried favor with France Jr. The King never did any of that kind of stuff.

It's impossible to know just how good ol' ironhead really was since there was so much leeway given by NASCAR in his favor that was never extended to other drivers.

My beef is/was with NASCAR not ironhead.
    Everybody else can quit trying...........this is the post of the year on this subject!!!!

By a landslide.

I feel exactly the same way.........
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

Since you seem to have a lot of knowledge about nascar would you explain what took place during the 1984 firecracker race at daytona when the president of our great country happened to be on hand to witness the king Richards last victory,and his illegal engine which was also his last win, coincidence ? hard to believe isn't it? Barbequeboy how far is your nose up CIRF a$$ anyway?

Since you seem to have a lot of knowledge about nascar would you explain what took place during the 1984 firecracker race at daytona when the president of our great country happened to be on hand to witness the king Richards last victory,and his illegal engine which was also his last win, coincidence ? hard to believe isn't it? Barbequeboy how far is your nose up CIRF a$$ anyway?
    Roughly 1/99th the distance that your head is up your own I guess????

Sounds like you could have used some sort of HANS device too, those wall impacts have really clouded your comprehension process, huh?

And yes, I know it was a cheap shot................just thought I would lob one back over!!
    Last edited by Barbecueboy; 03-05-2015 at 01:45 PM.

Best I remember is Petty finished first don't recall an illegal engine in that race.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbecueboy View Post
    Roughly 1/99th the distance that your head is up your own I guess????

Sounds like you could have used some sort of HANS device too, those wall impacts have really clouded your comprehension process, huh?

And yes, I know it was a cheap shot................just thought I would lob one back over!!
    BBQ to CIRF, permission to fire sir. Over!!!

Best I remember is Petty finished first don't recall an illegal engine in that race.
    Yea it was illegal and he fired his brother while NASCAR looked the other way

Quote Originally Posted by hpmaster View Post
    Wasn't that the Charlotte race where the engine was illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton_Wetter View Post
    BBQ to CIRF, permission to fire sir. Over!!!

Thanks for the chuckle.........

Nascar looking for 1 billllion dollars over 10 years from it's next title sponsor. A little over priced if you ask me.
    Well, if that's the way you feel, then I would suggest you don't sponsor them....

Quote Originally Posted by Barbecueboy View Post
    Everybody else can quit trying...........this is the post of the year on this subject!!!!

By a landslide.

I feel exactly the same way.........

LOL now that's a laugher....

I think CIRF and BBQboy are one in the same.....they're always playing kissy face, (or arse) if they ain't one in the same, they need to get a room....

Quote Originally Posted by BloomerWins View Post
    Can't two people have the same views without the rose colored glasses???
    Unfortunately not bloomer..........the rose garden cabinet members are incapable of understanding that THEY are the tiny minority that thinks everything is just peachy with nascar.

And with nothing really intelligent to offer as a rebuttal other than name calling and ostrich head in the sand retort, I really wouldn't expect them to have a clear view of the larger picture.

But the good news is, there is a great sponsorship opportunity on the seats of there britches.................nascar can line them up along side the highways of each event and place some more corporate sponsorship on there butts as they turn themselves into human tri pods when they stick there heads in the sand...............

How about that visual?????

Ticket sales down 2.5% last year 239 million in ticket sales

T.V. revenue was at 388 million in 2014.... You tell me who nascar caters to, all you have to do is follow the money.

It seems you DON'T have much knowledge about NASCAR. There was no illegal engine involved in The Kings last victory! If you were more concerned about knowing what you're talking about and less about stalking me and wasting time on erroneous (not to mention weird) speculation as to where BBQB's nose is you wouldn't look quite so stupid, now would ya'?
    Thank you for the facts, drano.
    Quote Originally Posted by hpmaster View Post
    You're in the same category as the creepy stalker in regards to knowing what you're talking about! Not surprising, though.
    Wasn't that the Charlotte race where the engine was illegal.
    You've got your facts correct again drano, and I thank you again. It was at the fall Charlotte race in 1983 Richard had an over sized engine and on his last pit stop the crew put left side tires on the right side. The engine was 381 c.i., 23 c.i. larger displacement than was allowable under NASCAR rules.

The #43 team was fined $35,000.00 (which was the largest fine NASCAR had ever levied at that time) and was docked 104 championship points. I'd say the Petty's made their bed, paid their fine and lost the points and their image took and major hit. No whining, just took their medicine and went on. However, Maurice was quoted years later that he was tired of being beat by guys he knew beyond a doubt were running big engines so he built one of his own. That incident involving the #43 prompted some major changes in how some of the rules were enforced. Have you heard anyone being caught with a big engine since that time? And there were safeguards enacted to insure right side tires go on the right side and left side tires go on the left side.
    Last edited by CIRF; 03-10-2015 at 09:54 AM.