Default Breaking solid roller comp camshafts

USRA spec head Ti valves sbc SHP block petty aggressive profile touch over .700 lift. We have broken two ourselves and herd of several others in the area that have broke. We have double checked everything coil bind, camshaft bore, lifter bores, oilpump, etc. with and without rev limiter. they break between cam gear and next bearing journal forward. We our using the copper colored cores which I was told are suppose to be stronger. Anyone have any input on this or recommend a better core I need to be using .

signed broken shaft
    Thankyou

Quote Originally Posted by RACERDAD View Post
    USRA spec head Ti valves sbc SHP block petty aggressive profile touch over .700 lift. We have broken two ourselves and herd of several others in the area that have broke. We have double checked everything coil bind, camshaft bore, lifter bores, oilpump, etc. with and without rev limiter. they break between cam gear and next bearing journal forward. We our using the copper colored cores which I was told are suppose to be stronger. Anyone have any input on this or recommend a better core I need to be using .

signed broken shaft
    Thankyou
    There has been a few posts on various forums about cam breakage lately, not sure as I didn't read all of them closely but they could be multiple posts by the same poster using different user names on different forums.

Anyways see what cam core it is, not sure what comp is using now for suppliers. There should be some marks on the core to identify the brand of core/manufacturer. I know several of the posts where not comp cams but could be the same core manufacturer, but I also think most of them where not rollers but cast core flat tappets.

Try here: Speedtalk.com or yellowbullet.com (naturally aspirated section) , Mike Jones (Jones cams) is on both and has answered some questions about cam cores in the breakage threads recently. Mike is very helpful as well as others helping figure out what the issue could be.

If you can't find the threads, post back I can probably give you some links in necessary

Is this a stock stroke engine or stroked? You might want to make sure you don't have a connecting rod coming up and hitting the camshaft especially if it broke in the same place twice.

This a one piece core or a press on cam gear core?

one piece core

Let me take a guess.Its in a 3.875 stroke or longer without a raised cam & its a small base circle.

dale_matney Guest

Hey perfconn can you email pm me please. Thanks.

No sir. its a 3.750 stroke no raised cam with small base circle

Small base circle is a major problem.They make less hp and break easier.
    Dale Matney you can email me at terry.marciaburnett@gmail.com