Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

does anyone know if they have a weight limit? I can't find the rules on the website.

http://dirtracingreport.com/kevin-sw...-as-car-owner/

I seen he had a shirt released right around a month ago says "return to Tulsa 2017" on it.

http://www.r-rracewear.com/product/2...i-state=dialog
    Last edited by zyoung25; 01-05-2016 at 08:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by george w View Post
    to my knowledge kevin swindell in joining the chilibowl as a car owner this year, i believe the article i read said he wants to get his feet wet on the owner builder side incase he doesn't gain the movement back that he needs to race again i also believe he hired kevin thomas to drive a car for him that he said will be prepared pretty close to what he had. Cirf is prolly got the details on it a little better but i believe all the above is correct or pretty close to my knowledge.
    As far as I've read and heard you've got it right, George. There was some talk about getting a car set up for hand controls of the throttle and brake but that hasn't materialized to my knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by powerslide View Post
    does anyone know if they have a weight limit? I can't find the rules on the website.
    There is no weight limit, powerslide. In fact there are very few rules other than the race cars have to look like a traditional midget. There are no engine size rules, in fact every year there are a couple of small V-8's there but the engine that is most successful is the inline 4 cylinder.

I suspected that. I guess I will pick Rico as a repeat seeing as he has that huge advantage. Not taking anything away from him as a driver but that is a big advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by powerslide View Post
    I suspected that. I guess I will pick Rico as a repeat seeing as he has that huge advantage. Not taking anything away from him as a driver but that is a big advantage.
    I am not disagreeing with you powerslide, but there is a a contrarian school of thought on the subject we heard at 2014 Chili Bowl post race BS session that included a couple of guys who have wrenched on winning midgets for a decade or so. They were of the opinion that Rico's lack of weight was an advantage upon straight line acceleration but his stature may be somewhat of a disadvantage in cornering since Rico has to be located much higher in the c ockpit thus placing a higher percentage of sprung weight much higher in the car. This may make for handling challenges that don't apply to much taller drivers. I know very little about midget car chassis geometry but what they say makes some sense especially at a venue such as the Chili Bowl where there is much less straight line acceleration needed in relation to tracks that are larger and more symmetrical.

Believe me, this is not my personal deduction but rather what I gathered from being part of a conversation among people who know infinitely more about chassis geometry than I.

Quote Originally Posted by CIRF View Post
    I am not disagreeing with you powerslide, but there is a a contrarian school of thought on the subject we heard at 2014 Chili Bowl post race BS session that included a couple of guys who have wrenched on winning midgets for a decade or so. They were of the opinion that Rico's lack of weight was an advantage upon straight line acceleration but his stature may be somewhat of a disadvantage in cornering since Rico has to be located much higher in the c ockpit thus placing a higher percentage of sprung weight much higher in the car. This may make for handling challenges that don't apply to much taller drivers. I know very little about midget car chassis geometry but what they say makes some sense especially at a venue such as the Chili Bowl where there is much less straight line acceleration needed in relation to tracks that are larger and more symmetrical.

Believe me, this is not my personal deduction but rather what I gathered from being part of a conversation among people who know infinitely more about chassis geometry than I.
    You could always add low weight, if you believe that. Less total inertia is always better.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 2

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    You could always add low weight, if you believe that. Less total inertia is always better.
    Agreed, build it light as possible and put the lead where you want it. In his case he doesn't have to carry any. Likely has to run a different shock/spring package to compensate compared to his teammates

Absolutely correct MBR, and IIRC that came up as a contrarian point of view during the conversation 2 years ago but the other side was brought up that adding weight lower in the car to offset the higher seat and foot control mountings negates the lighter driver.

I'd bet my last C-note that Keith Kunz has it figured out both ways since he's fielding cars for non dwarfs as well as Rico. Last year the cushion, and avoiding going over it, was a determining factor in who won the A-main. So many factors enter into winning an event that hosts over 330 cars that weight, or lack thereof, is one of many elements. All of the many serious contenders for the Golden Driller trophy are going to be really light.
    Last edited by CIRF; 01-05-2016 at 11:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    They have that covered already with Rico's big balls of steel lol

Quote Originally Posted by WisWildManFan View Post
    They have that covered already with Rico's big balls of steel lol
    You've got that right WWMF! LOL!!

As of today The Chili Bowl Nationals has topped 340 entries. Won't be long they'll have to add another night of racing to the 5 nights they already run! WOW!

Quote Originally Posted by CIRF View Post
    As of today The Chili Bowl Nationals has topped 340 entries. Won't be long they'll have to add another night of racing to the 5 nights they already run! WOW!

Soon the teams with huge trailers will be renting pit space lol

Not sure I'll ever make it there with ticket prices the way they are, they want $345 a pc on stub hub for sat night. That pretty much pays for my entire dream weekend. Can't beat the price on mavtv

Quote Originally Posted by TMaCiLLiNi39 View Post
    Soon the teams with huge trailers will be renting pit space lol
    You may be on to somethingTMaC. They still have a little room judging from the time we spent in the pits last year but I don't think they can hold 375 cars. Back in 1997 when we went to The Chili Bowl for the first time they had a full sized basketball court on the West end of the Expo Center. No room for that anymore!

Quote Originally Posted by WisWildManFan View Post
    Not sure I'll ever make it there with ticket prices the way they are, they want $345 a pc on stub hub for sat night. That pretty much pays for my entire dream weekend. Can't beat the price on mavtv
    WOW!! $345.00 for Saturday night!! That's a big mark up over face price. Our seats are top row behind the flagman and face price is $61.00.

Just the law of supply and demand at work, I reckon. There are plenty of tickets for sale out in front of the Expo Center for the early week preliminary nights but Friday and Saturday nights there are very few.

No one could have anticipated this event becoming this huge back in the late 1980's! It is one of the premier dirt track events of the year, and to many it's THE premier dirt track event of the year.

WWMF, if you ever get a chance to buy decent tickets to The Chili Bowl for face price or a little more definitely get them. I promise you, you will not be disappointed.

This is what 344 cars all under one roof looks like. 11 acres of racecars, trade show, racetrack, and seating for 11,000 fans that is sold out each of the 5 nights of The Chili Bowl.

The biggest, baddest and best dirt race of the whole year!!

Yeehawwww!!

Pullin' out for Tulsa in about 14 hours! We're ready!!

A little teaser video: https://youtu.be/a_JuxyadnXE

Last edited by CIRF; 01-11-2016 at 03:49 PM.

i had a matt westfall sighting at lowes on sunday