Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default First time at Eastbay and Bubba Raceway Park: Tips?

Ill be making my first trip to florida for some dirt racing this February for Eastbay and going to try to hit the race at Bubba before we go home. Anyone got any tips on where to stay, where to sit, some good good in the area ect ect. Ill more than likely be in the pits 99% of the time but just wanted to get a feel for the place before i make the 12+ hour voyage down. Thanks guys
    2015 Tracks So Far (Big Races)-Florence- 5 (Ralph Latham)Ponderosa- 1Eldora- 3 (Dream)Fairbury- 1

Find the fresh cut local strawberries and homemade shortcake stand and stalk it every single day at east bay......
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

yep get some of that

Been there many times and usually stay in the Brandon area as it is an easy commute to the track and has all the amenities you'll want. Stayed in the Temple Terrace once and was not impressed to say the least. Not much to the south until you get near Bradenton or St. Pete.

There is a newer top golf that is always hopping pretty late into the night... went after the races one night last year had a good time and I'm not a golfer. Still kicking myself I didn't make it to BRP one night.

Quote Originally Posted by bleedblue55 View Post
    Been there many times and usually stay in the Brandon area as it is an easy commute to the track and has all the amenities you'll want. Stayed in the Temple Terrace once and was not impressed to say the least. Not much to the south until you get near Bradenton or St. Pete.
    You stayed in the temple terrace? And lived to tell about it????

Unless it's changed I think that place doubles as a minimum security prison....run away....run very far away.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbecueboy View Post
    You stayed in the temple terrace? And lived to tell about it????

Unless it's changed I think that place doubles as a minimum security prison....run away....run very far away.
    Went on the cheap year after divorce. Learned a quick lesson about Florida in Feb., you get what you pay for. Stayed in Ghettoland and lived to tell.

Quote Originally Posted by bleedblue55 View Post
    Went on the cheap year after divorce. Learned a quick lesson about Florida in Feb., you get what you pay for. Stayed in Ghettoland and lived to tell.
    You would have been better off, breaking into that old trailer ( pay window) that sits in the weeds right there at the pit entry gate.

Glad you made it out of the terrace..........I have heard nothing at all good about that place/area.

After loosing the camper to a fire, last year we stayed at the LaQuinta next to Bob Evans in Brandon and across the street from Hooters, always something going on after the races...This year we are staying at the Clarion, down the street from Hooters...Have a safe trip and enjoy...
    -------------------------
    See you down the road!!!!

I stay at days inn, silver springs, it's right on rt. 40 just east of ocala. Denny's right in the hotel. Silver spring state park is right across the street. That's a really cool place to go during the day, before the races!

Racing last several years has been choo choo
    Best of luck
    I gave up
    $1500 wasted trips get old quick

Thanks for your help everyone!
    2015 Tracks So Far (Big Races)-Florence- 5 (Ralph Latham)Ponderosa- 1Eldora- 3 (Dream)Fairbury- 1

Quote Originally Posted by fanof25 View Post
    I stay at days inn, silver springs, it's right on rt. 40 just east of ocala. Denny's right in the hotel. Silver spring state park is right across the street. That's a really cool place to go during the day, before the races!
    Is that where they have the glass bottom boats ?

Yep, glass bottom boats there. I also believe it is where the "Creature from the Black Lagoon" was filmed,too.
    "In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."
    --George Orwell

Racing is hit and miss..is what it is. $$$$ Something free to do during the day thats not very far from the track . Go checks out the Manatees at Tampa electric.. http://www.tampaelectric.com/company/mvc/

Click on the manatee viewing and check out the live web cams.. the east cam shows a bunch of them
    Last edited by CGF; 01-16-2016 at 01:33 PM.

I live 20 minutes from East Bay so I know pretty much whatever ya want to know about this area......I'd suggest staying in Brandon/Riverview/Ruskin area. LOL Temple Terrace isn't hardly as bad as these guys make it sound, but I wouldn't stay there if i was going to the race track. Is there anything in particular you'd like to do/see/visit when you're not at the track? Someone mentioned Top Golf and that's always a good time. There's a Bass Pro across the street which is cool if you haven't been to one.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Henry View Post
    Yep, glass bottom boats there. I also believe it is where the "Creature from the Black Lagoon" was filmed,too.
    Thought so......I have pictures of me and my mom and dad from the 70s in the glass bottom boats.

Thanks

I live in Florida and our local season starts right after speed weeks so I don't get to go to a lot of those races cuz I gotta buy tires for my own deal but we always go the first night at East Bay and at least one night at Volusia too. A great place to eat in Brandon is a little steak house called Jessie's Steakhouse. It's East of I-4 on 50 (Brandon exit) about 3-5 miles on the north side of the road. It's kind of a hole in the wall place but it is Awesome. Never had a bad meal there. John 1*
    "Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back."
    — Heraclitus

A nice daytime destination while you're at Bubba Raceway Park is Blue Spring State Park in Orange City, Florida. The manatee are usually quite plentiful in February at Blue Spring. There is a 1/4 mile spring run from where the water comes up out of the ground and it's a constant 72 or 73 degrees. The spring run empties into the St. Johns river and the manatee make their way up the river to the warm waters of the Blue Spring run, especially when the air temp cools off the waters of the St, Johns river. Map Quest says it's a little over an hour drive from Bubba to Blue Spring.

The Florida State Fair will be going on February 4 thru February 15th and the Florida State Fairgrounds isn't far from East Bay. The Fair is worth spending an afternoon at. We've done the Fair a couple of times during the 25 or so years we've been in Florida for Speedweeks. Good food and some interesting displays that us Midwesterner's aren't accustomed to seeing at a state fair.

Have fun.

We'll be at East Bay a couple of nights for the late models and one or two nights at Bubba for the USAC National Sprint Cars.

Crystal River is probably a closer option for manatee viewing in the Ocala area CIRF.
    But add Blue Springs definately if you are in the Volusia area, as I will be in a few weeks; I plan to visit at least once while I am down there.
    Tip for Blue Springs is get there EARLY, there will be a line of cars waiting to get it well before it opens.
    Grumpy old dirt track fan. Anti-Sanction. Anti-Social. Anti-Media. Anti-SocialMedia. Anti-Climatic.