Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Y'all gonna give the DNC a whole new platform, right alongside global warming, undocumented visitors, and bathrooms.

Quote Originally Posted by zach51 View Post
    Twin heat races with the second round inverted on passing points is the ultimate for a big show. (I can't remember which race did that last year but it was the one where Jason Jameson ran so good).

Sounds like it was the North/South 100 at Florence, Ky.

The formats are what they are and probably won't change, but the bigger problem down here is that, except for a select few, the tracks suck. Whether it's the prep, track configurations/size or the dirt itself, you seem to see a lot more highlights of train races on DoD down South than you do up North. So it wouldn't much matter if they did run heats everywhere.

Great point LMpunk
    Doc
    Facebook.com@DowdyRacing

I just don't go to races in the south anymore. All of the late model racing I watch in person is from Paducah northward.
    Pevely qualifies late models but they group qualify during hot laps then run heat races. That system is fine and doesn't bother me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubstr View Post
    Are race fans in the south getting shafted??

Not only the fans, but the racers that think they want no heat race format and the track operators also. When the front gate drops, either or all of three things happen. One the pit gate price goes up. Two the front gate price goes up. Three, the purse drops from no attendance. All of this hurts the car counts, which hurts the attendance. It becomes a vicious circle that is happening all over the country, to some extent and just blamed on rising costs. The cost of everything has been rising. That makes it more important to get more fans in the stands so the purses rise with the cost or just close shop. You get that fan, by having a show worth seeing. One lane Choo Choo's aren't the answer.
    very well put, the absence of heat races does save some one like me a few bucks, but from a fan in the stands perspective, I would like to see heats. but till there's more money all the way around , I doubt things are going to change much down here......

Quote Originally Posted by Doc88D View Post
    A recent discussion on a racetrack's facebook page got me wondering the question that is my title. Late Model teams in the south have successfully convinced the promoters/track owners that they are too special to run heat races. Many local shows just qualify, then have a 2nd hot lap session and run a feature. If the fan is lucky they only lock in 10 cars or so and then run a b feature to set the rest of the field. The argument by so many car owners is that they get tore up in heats.
    What a joke, I wouldn't pay 10 cents to see that garbage.

Voluteer Speedway(back in the good ol days) had it set up on the 'big races' that only the fastest and 2nd fastest were locked in everybody else had to race their way in to the feature

Quote Originally Posted by jr29 View Post
    I just don't go to races in the south anymore. All of the late model racing I watch in person is from Paducah northward. Pevely qualifies late models but they group qualify during hot laps then run heat races. That system is fine and doesn't bother me.
    Tri city also

HLQ & running heats still stinks imo. Fast guys still qualify up front & you get no passing in the heats or mains.

I understand qualifying from time to time but on weekly shows shouldn't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by ptown View Post
    What a joke, I wouldn't pay 10 cents to see that garbage.
    that's great ptown, you save that money, you may need it...

Quote Originally Posted by toyracer View Post
    HLQ & running heats still stinks imo. Fast guys still qualify up front & you get no passing in the heats or mains.

I understand qualifying from time to time but on weekly shows shouldn't happen.
    They also use passing points in heats and run a dash.

I lived in GA for 15 years ('99 - '14) and hated the formats for the shows I went to. And, I went to a ton of them.

I've had "discussions" with the fans of qualify and start heads up many many times. Their argument is the fastest guy has worked hard "all week" to be the fastest car at the track so he shouldn't be "punished" by having to start anywhere than on the pole. When I've told them of how its down in the Northeast (where I know live again) where the top points guy is "handicapped" and usually starts outside the top 10 they tell me "that's stupid". However, the RACERS up here do not think so...30+ Big Block style Modified cars a week for 24 starting spots on a flat 1/4 mile for 25 laps. Last Saturday the top points guy started last and made it to 2nd with one caution on lap 3. The winner started on the pole and has been irrelevant in every other race this year.

Real "race fans" from the deep south qualify start heads up group would sh*t themselves if they ever saw it!!!
    www.ctcphotos.com

http://www.ctcphotos.com/hommel.htm

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under." - Ronald Reagan

im fine with qualifing n heats what kills me is too many classes in midwest which cause show to go till midnihgt

Quote Originally Posted by bite me too View Post
    I lived in GA for 15 years ('99 - '14) and hated the formats for the shows I went to. And, I went to a ton of them.

I've had "discussions" with the fans of qualify and start heads up many many times. Their argument is the fastest guy has worked hard "all week" to be the fastest car at the track so he shouldn't be "punished" by having to start anywhere than on the pole. When I've told them of how its down in the Northeast (where I know live again) where the top points guy is "handicapped" and usually starts outside the top 10 they tell me "that's stupid". However, the RACERS up here do not think so...30+ Big Block style Modified cars a week for 24 starting spots on a flat 1/4 mile for 25 laps. Last Saturday the top points guy started last and made it to 2nd with one caution on lap 3. The winner started on the pole and has been irrelevant in every other race this year.

Real "race fans" from the deep south qualify start heads up group would sh*t themselves if they ever saw it!!!
    your entitled to your opinion just like me. My question to you is, while you were down here, why on earth would you keep going a ton of times to anything you " hate so much" for 15 years?

Quote Originally Posted by fastford View Post
    your entitled to your opinion just like me. My question to you is, while you were down here, why on earth would you keep going a ton of times to anything you " hate so much" for 15 years?
    Horrible racing is better than no racing in my opinion. I wouldn't be happy to live in the South and see that kind of show every week either, but I would still be going to races once or twice every weekend.

I think something in between is ideal. Like a top 6 redraw before the feature or something like that. Don't guarantee that the fastest car will start on the pole. That is a recipe for bad racing, and racing is a spectator sport and needs fans to survive.

I agree and I should know-I'm currently staying in a Holiday Inn Express which makes me really, really smart.

Quote Originally Posted by fastford View Post
    I didn't say I hated racing. just the format. and, it's the only format so I was "stuck" with it.
    www.ctcphotos.com

http://www.ctcphotos.com/hommel.htm

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under." - Ronald Reagan

If qualifying, with fastest guy starting on the pole, is good enough for Nascar, it's good enough for me!

Troy, Troy,Troy.....

I am a real race fan. I have seen it both ways. I still don't like the idea of making a good car start behind some jack wagon that might turn right or left when he gets to a corner.