Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I can't ever remembering Knoxville being flat. It may look flatter than it is from the stands , but never flat and I've been going there, off and on since 1962, the second Kville nationals. It wasn't just sprint cars then. It was run what you brung. If you park yourself in either corner and look. There is more banking than you think. One thing is for sure, There is no track that is better prepped for racing, day in and day out. If you have speed and talent, the track won't keep you from going to the front. They invented well prepped track. It may have been flat back in 1895 or there about, when they ran the first auto race there. Over the years, the only time you will see a less than stellar track is when there is just too much rain to deal with. It gets too fast and at times hurts cars, with the berm, that can run all the way down the straights. There are a lot of similarities to Falls apart from size, as far as progression of the fast line goes. Two Three and four wide are common also. It has similarities with Eldora also, as sliders are very common.

Screw all this motor talk. Either put your big boy panties on and come race or don't. Pretty simple. I know there are ALOT of Midwest fans of Bobby Pierce that would love to see him race. The decision is up to them.

It's not big boy panties...its big boy motors...big difference...Bobby has to carry his balls in a wheelbarrow

All this motor talk is a lot more interesting than 90% of the whining that goes on at 4m.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubstr View Post
    The over all banking average seems higher at Knoxville. How early it starts and late it finishes. One thing for sure, you can hear the difference in the engines, between the two. At times they never lift or feather more at Knoxville than Eldora. It just uses more of the power you have for longer at Knoxville. Eldora will test a engine, but Knoxville is a harder test. It's always been that way. Both have their challenges, just a little different from each other.
    Knoxville has no where near as much banking (average or overall) as Eldora. It is not even close.

that what he is saying the longer straights then slights lifts then hammer down the straights will kill a motor that's why tri city in ILL is a 3/8 ths instead of the 1/2 and 1/4

balls in a wheelbarrow ... I am going to be nice to night...And not say what I was going to say ... LOL When you 2 getting marred... I can see the LOVE......

Quote Originally Posted by pierceFAN View Post
    It's not big boy panties...its big boy motors...big difference...Bobby has to carry his balls in a wheelbarrow
    https://youtu.be/HSt4QepLbN0

Motors are overrated in a way. Notice the two best right now both run Andy Durham power plants. Yes, he makes big hp but more importantly his engines stay together. You need the big hp like someone said earlier, when the track is heavy because it really binds the car up and you need the hp to get off the corner. Maybe on a track like Syracuse you need a that monster that usually sits in a corner most of the time. I know for a fact that several of the top drivers mostly run less that 400 cubic inches. Hell Marlor won the hillbilly on a Steele motor one year. Gotta get the car working first. You will see a lot of 358-410 inch motors at Portsmouth in October. You can always tell when the qualify who has what. The small motors turn a lot more rpms and the big motors turn around 69-7400. I'd say the most common engine as far as cubic inches go is around a 430.

Eldora is way more banked then Knoxville and that is not saying Knoxville isn't banked it is. As pointed out in this thread Knoxville is larger and also way more tacky then Eldora . I have walked on that track after the last night of the Nationals and the surface wanted to suck my mandals off it still had so much grip, that black dirt/gumbo or whatever you want to call it is something else. Outside of a fluke WOO late model show at Eldora many years ago after a ton of rain came down right before the race Eldora is dry and slicked off after a race.

It takes a lot more motor to break a car free on a tacky surface then a slicked off one which is why everybody is talking about how Knoxville needs a big motor. I don't know how much more motor/gearing you would need at Knoxville but I imagine it would be a bit more. Don't get me wrong both tracks require a big motor I just think you would want to put a little more HP into those tires at Knoxville.

I got a week to kill for vacation and was contemplating heading to Edlora for the world this year, since I have not been back to Eldora for quite a few years. This thread has got me thinking now that maybe I should head back to Knoxville instead, the couple of Nationals I have been too have had truly outstanding racing every night.
    Rollin' Keg Racing

Quote Originally Posted by miso_ohio View Post
    Eldora is way more banked then Knoxville and that is not saying Knoxville isn't banked it is. As pointed out in this thread Knoxville is larger and also way more tacky then Eldora . I have walked on that track after the last night of the Nationals and the surface wanted to suck my mandals off it still had so much grip, that black dirt/gumbo or whatever you want to call it is something else. Outside of a fluke WOO late model show at Eldora many years ago after a ton of rain came down right before the race Eldora is dry and slicked off after a race.

It takes a lot more motor to break a car free on a tacky surface then a slicked off one which is why everybody is talking about how Knoxville needs a big motor. I don't know how much more motor/gearing you would need at Knoxville but I imagine it would be a bit more. Don't get me wrong both tracks require a big motor I just think you would want to put a little more HP into those tires at Knoxville.

I got a week to kill for vacation and was contemplating heading to Edlora for the world this year, since I have not been back to Eldora for quite a few years. This thread has got me thinking now that maybe I should head back to Knoxville instead, the couple of Nationals I have been too have had truly outstanding racing every night.
    If I had one race a year of the 2 I go back to,,,, It be the one at Knoxville..

Cardirt0 is Knoxville closer for you then Eldora?

No questions, Knoxville for me, especially after all the dust problems at Eldora. It hasn't rained out that way all summer, the crops aren't growing and the track has got to be dry as a popcorn fart.

No questions, Knoxville for me, especially after all the dust problems at Eldora. It hasn't rained out that way all summer, the crops aren't growing and the track has got to be dry as a popcorn fart.

And for those nay sayers who think a smaller motor is enough there, have you ever been there? It's pretty painful to watch the guys with the little motors slinging 9000 rpm's trying to keep up with no forward drive on that giant track. If you walk the cushion all the way around it's more like 5/8 mile around that place, it's a freaking giant of a track.

I guess I'm lucky they changed the date of Knoxville as i will be taking in both

Agree with others, if I had only one race to attend in a year it would be Knoxville hands down. And I've been all over the country to tracks. It's truly an experience not like any other.

Quote Originally Posted by birky time View Post
    Cardirt0 is Knoxville closer for you then Eldora?
    Knoxville 317 miles
    Eldora 219 miles
    from my front door
    Last edited by Cardirt0; 08-18-2016 at 01:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardirt0 View Post
    Knoxville 317 milesEldora 219 milesfrom my front door
    Looks about right, what now? What's his point cardirt0?

Quote Originally Posted by D. Tidrow View Post
    Looks about right, what now? What's his point cardirt0?
    Mr D. I dont know Both are to far for me now so . But he asked so I an..Have not been to ether in 6 years or after I got sick....

Quote Originally Posted by Cardirt0 View Post
    Mr D. I dont know Both are to far for me now so . But he asked so I an..Have not been to ether in 6 years or after I got sick....
    I agreed with you buddy, you were right in your assessment in the first post. My first race after my first deployment I met you at farmer city. Just was helping you out.