Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Lucas rules

"Curious if anyone knows if the seat that Brian Ruhlman has started using would be an approved seat"

In reading the article on that seat, it looks like it was designed for larger drivers and apparently bolts on to make a regular seat a containment seat.

Quote Originally Posted by BTExpress View Post
    "Curious if anyone knows if the seat that Brian Ruhlman has started using would be an approved seat"

In reading the article on that seat, it looks like it was designed for larger drivers and apparently bolts on to make a regular seat a containment seat.
    Ruhlman's seat has hinged left side containment pieces ( head and shoulder) to allow him to get in and out. He is in excess of 300 lbs, as far as being approved I don't know. I do know that the SFI particular # is not any specific box available seats, they're all a one off custom build, no matter who the manufacturer is. IE: LaJoie, Butlerbilt, Kirkey, etc., etc.

Sam from UMP has fielded over 200 phone calls and is, as we speak, trying to get a specific package in place,with a specific dollar amount, to complete a necessary approved upgrade. I'm also hearing that guys are being asked to postpone buying anything until announcements are made at PRI.

Be nice if they could spread these purchases out over a longer time.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Gray View Post
    Education, Education, Education would make leaps and bounds improvement in the safety of the sport. Here's the problem SFI certs will hurt this sport. There is great information and guidance in the SFI research but making companies pay for those certs will drive up costs. the fuel cell rule is not reasonable to me, and the 39.2 seat rule is way overboard and to be honest very unfair considering the options we have. The big problem here is there are companies selling seats that they call "containment " that are not. Hope this gets cleared up.

The wheel cover should probably just be banned. After the conversations with Lucas oil administration and the people at a few seat manufacturers yesterday I am very optimistic that these rules will be cleared up by Pri.

Otherwise I just call on everyone to stick together and just say "no" and race elsewhere. I'm a huge advocate for safety but I believe there are "Equally safe" ways to service our concerns other than selling out to the "safety mafia"
    I was thinking the same thing on the wheel covers. Just do away with them. A cost we could do without, not a huge cost but a cost none the less. Tire changes in the pits would be quicker so less laps needed to change it under yellow.

Also on the same page on the seats/fuel cells. Its going to be like NHRA and you have a select few who can build it and its going to cost an arm and a leg.

Quote Originally Posted by powerslide View Post
    I was thinking the same thing on the wheel covers. Just do away with them. A cost we could do without, not a huge cost but a cost none the less. Tire changes in the pits would be quicker so less laps needed to change it under yellow.
    If you are a series regular, you will get an extra 2 laps from normal to change a tire now do to the bolts but not a series regular your screwed? Also sounds to me like anyone selling/making plastic type covers got screwed as how are those more dangerous then aluminum ones, lol?

Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

Quote Originally Posted by zeroracing View Post
    Cutman, judging by how thin the head padding looks I would be surprised if it would pass, the SFI approved seats have a very wide pad on them. Also it takes a while to get through the SFI certification so they may be going through the process.

Vande077, can you please point us to the $ 500 SFI 39.2 seat? The lowest price one I have seen is ISP at $3,400-$3,800. I would gladly buy one for my next race car instead of another high priced one.

I like many of the other late model guys have full containment seats, I used a butler built, custom built for me, very robust, very well made, and a great seat. Cost was not cheap, $ 1,600 or so, but well worth it. I cannot see the need to get rid of this seat and replace it with a different one. My current seat provides a very high level of structure and safety for our needs.
    I thought it was a Kirkey but he sold it already when he quit racing to someone else.

But here's a link to Kirkey's website for one that costs under $1200 new (granted it's the sprint car model and not late model, but it tells me they are out there for much less than $3400)

https://www.circletracksupply.com/ki...seat.html?cat=

Quote Originally Posted by billetbirdcage View Post
    If you are a series regular, you will get an extra 2 laps from normal to change a tire now do to the bolts but not a series regular your screwed? Also sounds to me like anyone selling/making plastic type covers got screwed as how are those more dangerous then aluminum ones, lol?
    Put bolts in the plastic covers and they will be legal..

Thumbs up Kelly and Stan

Granted it needs some tweaks, but all much needed stuff. Wheel covers are flying metal frisbees/guillotines. Obviously not require the NASCAR seat. Fuel cell, definitely, and specify no cheap fittings. Fire suppression, shouldn't be even a remote issue after this year. Especially since some tracks still don't give a fuk about safety. Gloves, suck it up buttercup. Some top drivers didn't wear gloves either.

Props to Kelly and Stan for speaking, well said.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan21mid View Post
    Put bolts in the plastic covers and they will be legal..
    My bad somehow I read "aluminum" covers only, but it doesn't say that after relooking

There is a big difference in seats that meet the sfi spec and one that is certified with the sticker. I have kirkey full containment seats, roughly 1000 bucks and they are not sfi certified.

Vande077, wow, I did not figure they had a certified one for near that price. That said I am one of the "any brand but kirkey guys" after seeing the cheaper ones fold up easily about a decade ago. A lot has changed and they seem to build a good seat, but just have a "stigma" around our shop.

All of that said, we will just avoid series that require it this season for the most part. I have a new custom butler built that is a great seat, just spent $ 1600 on and is very safe, no sticker though. Luckily our local series is not mandating it. I was also told by some that the series are discussing the rule and may go to a standard full containment rule.
    Last edited by zeroracing; 11-11-2016 at 10:09 PM.

New SFI firesuits coming for 2018....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

Quote Originally Posted by vande077 View Post
    I thought it was a Kirkey but he sold it already when he quit racing to someone else.

But here's a link to Kirkey's website for one that costs under $1200 new (granted it's the sprint car model and not late model, but it tells me they are out there for much less than $3400)

https://www.circletracksupply.com/ki...seat.html?cat=
    They claim it is the first aluminum seat to meet the spec. Probably got ahead of the game and maybe even attempted to influence the rule adoption. I think it means they can be reasonable price, but not really available yet.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -3
    Atomic - 2
    Moler - 1

Quote Originally Posted by Krooser View Post
    Let me hear you cluck 😂

Quote Originally Posted by Krooser View Post
    I can hear that Charlie Daniels song now. Good movie. Him and Lonnie made some uh magic off set too.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

Quote Originally Posted by BTExpress View Post
    Seriously?????? Why won't you have "everyone" of these safety rules? ... no containment seats, etc. It makes no sense not to have these items.
    There is some evidence that suggest some FC seats may be causing concussions, that's why. I prefer NOT to have early onset dementia from hitting holes in the track and have to retire in my 40's because somebody knee-jerk reacted and made me run the seat he liked without doing his due diligence or even consulting me, since I'm paying... I'm a bigger guy so getting in and out is more difficult anyway. So now they have us good and trapped in the car, but still refuse to address the #800 gorilla in the room. Cars flip and turn over way too much and exiting the car is getting more and more difficult under optimal conditions. It wasn't like this before 1998.

Quote Originally Posted by calverton View Post
    Charlie floyd and shane unger need i say more
    Shane Unger died from internal injuries, not a broken neck, not head trauma. So no full containment 39.2 bladder anything would NOT have done anything for him...
    Last edited by Stede Bonnet; 11-12-2016 at 02:24 PM.
    Politically Incorrect.

Quote Originally Posted by Stede Bonnet View Post
    There is some evidence that suggest some FC seats may be causing concussions, that's why. I prefer NOT to have early onset dementia from hitting holes in the track and have to retire in my 40's because somebody knee-jerk reacted and made me run the seat he liked without doing his due diligence or even consulting me, since I'm paying... I'm a bigger guy so getting in and out is more difficult anyway. So now they have us good and trapped in the car, but still refuse to address the #800 gorilla in the room. Cars flip and turn over way too much and exiting the car is getting more and more difficult under optimal conditions. It wasn't like this before 1998.

Shane Unger died from internal injuries, not a broken neck, not head trauma. So no full containment 39.2 bladder anything would NOT have done anything for him...
    a containment seat would have helped i would think(again I'm not claiming to be an expert), the shoulders would have caught him, its going to take building a car with a bigger (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)pit area, along with a raised roof, but this will take time, the standard containment seat will work but along with all safety measures, you need to know how they work(you need the helmet really close to the head area of the seats it may take mods to the seat) I've have been talking with the powers to be and they are seriously considering having a measurement from the floor to the bottom of the halo and a 3 inch to the helmet rule, this will require fab work on all your older cars,I really honestly believe 99.9% of the dirt late models the helmet is to close to the roll cage or the roof(in a roll over there head is hitting the ground, hell in topless races I've seen helmets sticking above the halo,frigin nuts)
    Last edited by grt74; 11-12-2016 at 07:06 PM.

At the rate we're going the cars will be completely revamped by next season, I foresee perimeter chassis with pass door bars ect!,

Quote Originally Posted by grt74 View Post
    a containment seat would have helped i would think(again I'm not claiming to be an expert), the shoulders would have caught him, its going to take building a car with a bigger (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)pit area, along with a raised roof, but this will take time, the standard containment seat will work but along with all safety measures, you need to know how they work(you need the helmet really close to the head area of the seats it may take mods to the seat) I've have been talking with the powers to be and they are seriously considering having a measurement from the floor to the bottom of the halo and a 3 inch to the helmet rule, this will require fab work on all your older cars,I really honestly believe 99.9% of the dirt late models the helmet is to close to the roll cage or the roof(in a roll over there head is hitting the ground, hell in topless races I've seen helmets sticking above the halo,frigin nuts)
    Precisely. The clearance between your noggin and the halo is not enough, not the seat.