Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What is everyones opinion?

The leaders take the white flag and there is a spin in turn 2. The leaders come to the stand and the flagman pulls the checkered flag back and dont throw it. They make 1 lap under caution and come back around and the flag man waves the yellow and checkered at the same time. What is the right call? Should the race have ended like that or should they have lined back up and had a green checkered finish? I know what my opinion is just curious as to what everyone else thinks.

I think the question is when did the car spin in turn 2? Were the leaders racing toward a spun out car in turn 2? If so, then caution was probably the right call. If the spun out car had taken the white they should have let them race back. Either way, no one appreciates the yellow and the checker together in any fashion. If they had to throw the caution, it should have been green/white together or regular green white checker

The spin was behind the leaders. They where about half way down the backstretch when the car spun in turn 2. The flagman had the checkered in his hand but when the cars came off turn 4 he pulled it back and didnt throw it but he turned the caution lights on on the track. They made one lap and come back around and he threw the yellow and the checkered together. In my opinion he threw the caution by turning on the caution lights even though he didnt throw the flag. I feel like it should have been a green checkered finish and not finished the way that it did.

I've always seen it lined back up for a shootout

When leader takes white flag next flag ends the race.. it saves people money because you don't have some hero in 15th think he can win it on a GWC and wad half the field up

Do what the rules say. How hard is that?

Your not supposed to throw the yellow on the white flag lap.

Finish the race.

I've seen other tracks do this. It makes me wanna climb up the flag stand and choke the stupid out of the flag man.

Unless the car/wreck is in the direct path of the leaders. You finish the lap.

throw the caution and checked together in my opinion.

Race back to the checkered flag !

Just my opinion, but if a spinning car would warrant a caution on lap #1, it doesn't matter if it's the white flag lap, it should still be a caution. Otherwise it doesn't warrant a caution on lap #1 either.

While the idea of racing back to the checker has been around forever, there are a lot more cars on the track than just the leader. If there are any cars on the track that could run into the corner with a car sitting there, it warrants a caution IMO. What's worse, having a GWC or seeing some guy in 15th and the spun car both crashed and guys potentially injured? 2 more laps on the track for everyone isn't going to kill their budgets.

Personally, I think if a yellow comes out, IMO, you go to a GWC period. No race should end under caution, it's not fair to the fans (remember, not everyone is a hardcore fan, and you should be balancing the needs of the racers, fans, sponsors, partners and promotors and not catering to any one particular group, it takes them all to make racing successful. Cater to just one group and all of sudden you have empty grandstands (just ask NASCAR how catering only to TV partners has worked out for them).

IMO, it should also be a single file restart anytime there are 5 laps or less left in the race. This makes it more fair for the racers IMO. Having a double file restart with only a lap or 2 left in the race is asking for another caution IMO.

IMHO, after the white flag, the caution should ONLY be thrown if the track is blocked for the leaders before they get to the flagstand or the wreck is on the front stretch. In this case, the flagman should have thrown the checkered and yellow together thereby ending the race, but also warning of the potential hazard in turn 2. I agree with those who have well said that other scenarios end up causing more problems than they solve.

That almost cost Erb 100k last year, if anyone remembers that.

I can see both sides of it I guess, if there's a wreck in front of the leaders, let the yeller fly. But like in Erbs case, it was more than a 3/4ths of a lap behind, go with it. I'd been ready to tear someones head off coming off turn 4 and seeing the light blinking knowing I'm about collect a pile of greenbacks.

If he threw the yellow and not the checkered flag, then technically there is still one more green flag lap to be completed. Sounds to me like the fans got robbed!

In that scenario the OP mentioned, it should be checkered w/yellow.

Quote Originally Posted by formercrewguy View Post
    In that scenario the OP mentioned, it should be checkered w/yellow.
    so, let's say there are still cars coming down the frontstretch that haven't taken the white flag, it's ok for them to be in danger because the leaders are ahead of the spun car? (wasn;t there, but unless they just had a restart, odds are that there were cars all the way around the track and the spinning car wasn't at the tail of the field with everyone in front of it).

To me every car, driver and team matter, not just the cars up front. If the spin would warrant a caution on any other lap of the race, it should warrant one on the last lap too.

Quote Originally Posted by vande077 View Post
    so, let's say there are still cars coming down the frontstretch that haven't taken the white flag, it's ok for them to be in danger because the leaders are ahead of the spun car? (wasn;t there, but unless they just had a restart, odds are that there were cars all the way around the track and the spinning car wasn't at the tail of the field with everyone in front of it).

To me every car, driver and team matter, not just the cars up front. If the spin would warrant a caution on any other lap of the race, it should warrant one on the last lap too.
    I said, as the OP described what happened. "What ifs" don't count in this instance. Besides, they have raceceivers these days that could warn of a spun car.

Quote Originally Posted by formercrewguy View Post
    I said, as the OP described what happened. "What ifs" don't count in this instance. Besides, they have raceceivers these days that could warn of a spun car.
    Using Raceivers to warn of a spun car is basically saying "yellow", so why not throw the yellow?

I have listened to the Raceiver channel at races before, they only used it to align cars under yellow for restarts, penalize drivers under yellow, or to call out yellow and red flags, the only time they talk on it under green flag conditions is to call "yellow, yellow, yellow" to get the cars slowed down.

Going off your username I would think you'd care about the safety of all drivers and not just the leaders.

OP only said the leaders were in front of the spin, had he said the "field" was in front of the spin that's a different scenario. Going off the first post, I'd say a majority of the field were behind the spinning car in the groove in the corner, thus the caution flag should have come out. same as it would have had that car spun on lap 1, 5 or 10.

There was cars all around the track. The leaders where ahead of the spin but when the car stopped in the groove there was still other cars farther back in the field that was coming at him at full speed. Like i said when the flagman pulled back the checkered flag and flipped the caution lights on that told me that the caution was out and the race was not over even though he didnt throw a flag. The confusing part was after all of this he keeps looking up at the scoring tower like he had no idea what was going on. The cars rode around the track for 1 lap under caution and when they came back to the flagstand again he threw the yellow and the checkered at the same time. My whole point is that he flipped on the caution lights before the leaders got to the line so it should have been a caution and the field should have been lined back up and had a green checkered finish.

Quote Originally Posted by HammerDown20 View Post
    There was cars all around the track. The leaders where ahead of the spin but when the car stopped in the groove there was still other cars farther back in the field that was coming at him at full speed. Like i said when the flagman pulled back the checkered flag and flipped the caution lights on that told me that the caution was out and the race was not over even though he didnt throw a flag. The confusing part was after all of this he keeps looking up at the scoring tower like he had no idea what was going on. The cars rode around the track for 1 lap under caution and when they came back to the flagstand again he threw the yellow and the checkered at the same time. My whole point is that he flipped on the caution lights before the leaders got to the line so it should have been a caution and the field should have been lined back up and had a green checkered finish.
    Agree with you, should have been a Green-Checker or Green-White-Checker finish. Sounds obvious that the yellow was out before anyone took the checkered flag.