Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Aero/downforce

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    Bodies are a cheap way to fix the cars. Bob Memmer did it. We got here by allowing companies that make body parts to essentially write the rules. Enforce body rules from 2005 and take the spoiler off. Racing would improve tremendously.
    Exactly......Bingo!
    Mike
    I hate the Steelers more than I hate the Buckeyes !

Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Bayko View Post
    Tech is already severely lacking most places, mostly due to a serious lack of knowledgeable people and proper equipment. Relying on tech is what got us here in the first place. There are no real easy answers to these problems. Only thing I can really think of is a dirt version of some sort of the ABC bodies that they use on asphalt late models. Open up the wheel wells some, lose the rear bumper cover or whatever and a flat deck through through the c*ckpit area with a 4 or 6 inch spoiler.
    Some of this stuff is/was so obvious it could be seen from the stands. It's not all rocket science and lack of knowledge. A lot of it has to do with who it is when things are allowed to pass tech when it shouldn't be
    Mike

Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post
    Been down this road once with, "The Wedge" but like they say, "Those who don't know they're history are doomed to repeat it". And just like the 2008 economic disaster, the smart guys in charge thought they could manage around it, "It was different this time" so they thought. Here we are again, lots of people quitting regularly, costs are over the moon and leadership is absent and clueless.
    Instead of addressing/admitting the problem in 2008 many stuck their head in the sand and blamed it all the on the economy. They said everything would be great again when the economy improved
    Mike

Facebook

Bla, bla, bla. If you don't get lucas and WoO to agree on a standard set of aero rules your just wasting your time. I do agree, aero is not a good thing. Every time I hear a driver say I was in bad air or aero this or that it makes my skin crawl. Y a go back to the 2005 bodies , do you realize what that would cost teams ? Shock packages, springs, tires, it's all going to change so were are you then ? You take that downforce away and your going to throw all those set up sheets out the window. The bodies are one of the cheapest items on a current slm. They need to make sure the engineers that are making these cars so expensive stops. As for steve francis, Yea he is right, but if he had a sponsor and was competitive I don't think he would be making the same comments.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtcrazy4u View Post
    Bla, bla, bla. If you don't get lucas and WoO to agree on a standard set of aero rules your just wasting your time. I do agree, aero is not a good thing. Every time I hear a driver say I was in bad air or aero this or that it makes my skin crawl. Y a go back to the 2005 bodies , do you realize what that would cost teams ? Shock packages, springs, tires, it's all going to change so were are you then ? You take that downforce away and your going to throw all those set up sheets out the window. The bodies are one of the cheapest items on a current slm. They need to make sure the engineers that are making these cars so expensive stops. As for steve francis, Yea he is right, but if he had a sponsor and was competitive I don't think he would be making the same comments.
    Do you realize there use to be a thing called wedge cars and what happened to them We have been here before

There are two choices head in the sand and ignore the problem or address it head on.

We know what the choice was last time the only question now is which direction we go now. If the last several years are any indication it will continue to be fading sport with declining participation on all sides. Tracks closing, driver hanging up the helmet and fans staying home.
    Mike

Facebook

The cost of racing has alway caused drivers to call it quits for many years. A lot of drivers quit for personal reasons family, work ect.... All of which is true today. The big difference today is the generation of teenagers and 20 somethings have very little interest in racing. Guys can't drive forever they get old and the even if the younger generation had all the money in the world they for the most part are not interested on spending it on racing driving or spectating. Lets face it there is just not a interest in it.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtcrazy4u View Post
    Fixing the bodies doesn't stop the aero from working. It simply lessens the effects.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -3
    Atomic - 2
    Moler - 1

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Do you realize there use to be a thing called wedge cars and what happened to them We have been here before

There are two choices head in the sand and ignore the problem or address it head on.

We know what the choice was last time the only question now is which direction we go now. If the last several years are any indication it will continue to be fading sport with declining participation on all sides. Tracks closing, driver hanging up the helmet and fans staying home.
    Snowflakes don't get it. No matter what you do somebody/everybody will spend some money due to change, but the elites are gonna spend that money anyway. Going backwards is infinitely cheaper than continuing the path we're on. I fully expect nothing to happen till the whole thing collapses because the younger generation don't get it. Things could be done very cheaply to diminish traction, which in turn would lower costs, but the flakes are too focused on equality, sharing and the collective to understand.

The elimination of bumps would do a lot as well as no stacked springs or travel limiters. 1 shock/spring per wheel only. Maximum nose height of 6 inches all the way across. All these are simple and cheap subtraction to costs.
    I was a highwayman
    Along the coach roads I did ride
    With sword and pistol by my side
    and I am still alive

The younger generation can get on a computer and simulate just about anything they want now. Why go to races when you can sit at home and "drive". They have no interest in anything beyond that smart phone in their hands. Technology is great...except when it's not.

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post
    Snowflakes don't get it. No matter what you do somebody/everybody will spend some money due to change, but the elites are gonna spend that money anyway. Going backwards is infinitely cheaper than continuing the path we're on. I fully expect nothing to happen till the whole thing collapses because the younger generation don't get it. Things could be done very cheaply to diminish traction, which in turn would lower costs, but the flakes are too focused on equality, sharing and the collective to understand.

The elimination of bumps would do a lot as well as no stacked springs or travel limiters. 1 shock/spring per wheel only. Maximum nose height of 6 inches all the way across. All these are simple and cheap subtraction to costs.
    No fear the UDLMC will safe the day! lol

They already tackled the suspensions. lol Remember most if not all the sanctions in the UDLMC are sponsored by shock companies

Up next is aerodynamics and a couple small changes to address it according to Stan. SMH

http://bluetoad.com/display_article....=409995‬
    Last edited by Mike; 09-17-2017 at 11:34 AM.
    Mike

Facebook

Ya once you take a little extra time to look at one of these cars you can see how twisted up the body is...the nose is all twisted up...you could basically change the spark plugs on the right side there such a gaping space between the fender and the tire...well not even a fender really whatever that big flare coming off the nose...

Ump used to have a max rake on the deck from firewall to spoiler...hell they got 6-8 inches of rake from the rear tire to the spoiler...#wedgecar

They already tackled the suspensions. lol Remember most if not all the sanctions in the UDLMC are sponsored by shock companies

Up next is aerodynamics and a couple small changes to address it according to Stan. SMH

Somebody needs to tell Schwallie,
    A) those guys replace wheels every year.
    B) steel wheels are cheaper than aluminum wheels
    C) Lucas cars have been on the track with steel wheels this season
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -3
    Atomic - 2
    Moler - 1

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    Somebody needs to tell Schwallie,
    A) those guys replace wheels every year.
    B) steel wheels are cheaper than aluminum wheels
    C) Lucas cars have been on the track with steel wheels this season
    Somebody with money/influence needs to tell Schwallie

A) if your a steel wheel manufacturer I'm sure a little sponsorship could help you sell some wheels to his drivers

B) if your looking at the driver and not the wheel your never going to notice what it's made of.

C) He doesn't care about steel wheels he just doesn't want them to win on steel wheels because then everyone would want them lol
    Last edited by Mike; 09-17-2017 at 12:01 PM.
    Mike

Facebook

I know guys who spend $5k on pavement bodies... We need a change but that's the wrong way to go.
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

My suggestion....'05 body rules 2200 lbs.... '17 body rules 2500 lbs. It's a start....
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

Steel wheels wow...can somebody tell me why these guys want unsprung weight on the rearend now days?..especially rotating unsprung weight?

Small changes are better than no changes. Simple changes within the current structure could be making them mount the nose straight, making the ears be even instead of wildly lopsided, flattening the deck, and closing in the sails. None of that really changes the body all that much but could certainly certainly help some.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Bayko View Post
    Small changes are better than no changes. Simple changes within the current structure could be making them mount the nose straight, making the ears be even instead of wildly lopsided, flattening the deck, and closing in the sails. None of that really changes the body all that much but could certainly certainly help some.
    Yes small changes can be better than no changes. Guess we will have to wait and see what actually gets changed if anything. I wouldn't be surprised if it took 3 years to implement the things you listed I mean you did list three things.

We would be in a better place now if more people would have took notice of what was going on around them 10 years ago
    Mike

Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Illtsate32 View Post
    Steel wheels wow...can somebody tell me why these guys want unsprung weight on the rearend now days?..especially rotating unsprung weight?
    Traction control limits your ability to spin the tires. So does rotational inertia.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -3
    Atomic - 2
    Moler - 1