Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Purvis

Bloomquist needs to have is definitely updated. Here is the list from Moyer website

Billy Moyer has 816 feature wins (as of December 31, 2016) since he started his auto racing career in 1977 and is the only person to win the prestigious 'World 100' 6 times!!!

TITLES
    8X Title Wins
    Magnolia State 100 - '89, '91, '94, '95, '96, '01, '02, & '11

6X Title Wins
    World 100 - '91, '93, '94, '98, '00, & '10
    I-55 UMP Nationals - '93, '94, '95, '99, '02, & '05
    UMP Summernationals - '93, '94, '96, '99, '01, & '03

5X Title Wins
    Prairie Dirt Classic - '92, '93, '98, '08, & '10
    Gopher 50 - '89, '93, '96, '00, & '01
    USA Nationals - '88, '89, '90, '92, & '93

4X Title Wins
    Illinois Fall Nationals - '95, '96, '97, & '00
    Topless 100 - '95, '97, '02 & '05

3X Title Wins
    Illini 100 - '08, '10, & '13
    Wayne Coakley/Terry Egner Mem. - '90, '99, & '02
    Jackson 100 - '87, '92, & '99
    Muskogee Octoberfest - '92, '95, & '98
    Show-Me 100 - '93, '94, & '96
    Kentucky Klassic - '88, '91, & '96
    Cotton Pickin' 100 - '04, '08, & '09

2X Title Wins
    $100,000 Dirt Late Model Dream - '98 & '10
    Red Baron Shootout - '87 & '98
    Dirt Track World Championship - '86 & '96
    Ralph Latham Memorial - '94 & '96
    Illinois Dirt Classic - '88 & '94
    USAC 4 Crown - '86 & '91
    Miller 100 - '87 & '88
    Miller Spooker - '83 & '86
    Shamrock - '96 & '09

Key Single Title Wins
    Deep Fried 75 - '16
    Pepsi 50 River Days Rumble - '13
    Knoxville Late Model Nationals - '10
    Fed-Ex 50 - '10
    O'Reilly Challenge - '08
    Farmer City 50 - '08
    Indiana Icebreaker - '07
    Jani-King Southern Showdown - '06
    Governor's Cup - '05
    Tarheel 50 - '04
    Duayne Hommel Benefit - '04
    Pepsi 100 - '02
    Hillbilly 100 - '02
    Commonwealth Cup - '02
    James King Memorial 100 - '01
    Budweiser Spooker - '01
    Kevin Roderick Memorial - '00
    Starr Wars - '00
    Hav-A-Tampa Dixie Shootout - '97
    STARS King of the Mountains - '96
    Thunder Ridge 100 - '96
    Kendricks Classic - '96
    66 Showdown - '96
    Bonanza Produce 100 - '96
    Miller Genuine Draft 200 - '91
    AWARDS
    7x (out of 8) Behind the Wheel "Reader's Choice Driver of the Year" Recognitions

'13 National Dirt Racing League (NDRL) Champion

'88, '89 & '05 World of Outlaws Late Model Series Champion

'02 Dirt Late Model Hall of Fame Inductee

'02 Dirt Late Model "Driver of the Year"

'93, '94, '96, '99, '01, '03 UMP Summernationals Champion

'01 Dirt Late Model Hall of Fame "Most Popular Driver"

'99 Behind the Wheel "A-Team Driver of the Year"

'97 Hav-A-Tampa Champion

'94 & '96 UMP Northern Nationals Champion

'96 Pitchin' it Sideways/Racing News Behind the Wheel "Driver of the Year"

'94 Short Track Racing Magazine "Driver of the Year"

'93-'94 Trackside Magazine "Dream Team #1 Driver"

'93 Trackside Magazine "Most Popular Driver Award"

'86-'87 USAC LM Champion

'86 USAC "Rookie of the Year"

'86 USAC "Jimmy Caruthers Award"

'84 NCRA Champion

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    Its all in how you look at it. What he did in a few years, most don't do in 30.
    i totally agree masters

thats how i looked at it, and tyler rid(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) hasn't raced cup yet that i know of,purvis just about made it on the top level until the wreck (by that i mean a top name in cup), in a childress (top equipment at the time) car he lead some as a back up driver for someone (cant remember who) and finished 2nd, tony stewart was the only other one i remember that made it to cup that ran well in late models also, unless im getting old and cant remember someone, but purvis also did it in the hay day of nascar too, when you had to be a driver, and not just bring money to the table

im with you guys i love the dirt racing but it is what it is
    hey no doubt if you look at races won scott and billy are top of the food chain for dirt late models but thats not the top level of stock car racing, its all about making a living racing and cup pays the most, just the facts, and thats just my opinion
    Last edited by grt74; 09-20-2017 at 08:46 PM.

If your favorite driver is in the HOF check out the new thread Ive posted
    If I havent offended you please be patient Ill get to you as soon as I can...... and yes Im a Bloomquist fan...deal w it!!! WWG1WGA!!!

Jeff Purvis advanced to, and won races, in a couple of series that are much more highly regarded on the racing totem pole than dirt late models. He ran respectable in Cup, the undisputed top level of all of racing at the time he was there. The cars and track surfaces of those advanced series were night and day in comparison to where he made his bones to get to those series. He was talented enough to adapt with some success. Does that make him better that bloomy and Moyer in dirt late models? Nope, he advanced when the opportunity arose. But on the same token either one of those guys were ever all that remarkable in anything but dirt late models. I think we all can agree there is something to be said for that.

And, just for the record, Tony Stewart got the opportunity to advance to being an IRL and Cup champion as a result of his success in open wheel cars, not dirt late models.

Nice thread .. U brought back some memories with my dad I can still hear him say theirs that PERVIS I'm putting my money on him who u want boy?? Was that child abuse ?? Jeff always WON HE WAS AWESOME!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdobber45 View Post
    Scott use to try to show up every where Jeff was. He said if your gonna race race the best thats out there. Jeff made a smart move to go to asphalt. It was better money
    Yep. I remember that Dobber. Exactly what he said. He wanted to race the best, and obviously he felt Purvis was it.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

Thanks for posting this dirt dobber. I'm a Tennessee native, live 30 minutes from Clarksville, where Purvis is from. Didn't start following DLM's till 10 years ago, and have been hooked every since by the way, I've always had a interest in his accomplishments. Wish he was still in the game

Quote Originally Posted by dirt junkie View Post
    Thanks for posting this dirt dobber. I'm a Tennessee native, live 30 minutes from Clarksville, where Purvis is from. Didn't start following DLM's till 10 years ago, and have been hooked every since by the way, I've always had a interest in his accomplishments. Wish he was still in the game
    Im on the other end of TN (near Bristol) and I can remember Purvis and Scott showing up at Kingsport and the Gap and putting on some dam good shows... memories
    If I havent offended you please be patient Ill get to you as soon as I can...... and yes Im a Bloomquist fan...deal w it!!! WWG1WGA!!!

Ironically enough, the track where we watched Jeff Purvis the most often during his dirt late model days was Volusia during February Speedweeks. It seemed as if Purvis and Jack Boggs owned that place back in the mid to late 1980's. I don't remember Jeff running the Summernationals very often, if at all. He may have but not at the tracks we went to for the SN tour.

Jeff was very tough to beat on the big tracks in an ARCA car. We were lucky enough to watch him win at Daytona twice and Michigan 3 times. He won at Pocono in an ARCA car, too. I always hoped he'd show up at the Springfield and Du Quoin ARCA races but he never did. I gotta' believe he'd have been a terror on those dirt miles!

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    IMO, the best I have ever seen.
    Ditto, absolutely.

Jeff Purvis was the best dirt late model driver ever. He just moved onto to Nascar so, some don't have a clue how good in a dirt late model he was.

Quote Originally Posted by kidrock View Post
    Jeff Purvis was the best dirt late model driver ever. He just moved onto to Nascar so, some don't have a clue how good in a dirt late model he was.
    Once again, nobody is denying the talent he had. He might have been the best driver to ever get in a late model, talent wise. But at the end of the day, he is not considered to be the best because he doesn't have the accomplishments in late model racing like others do. I'm not doubting that he wouldn't have, had he stayed in dirt racing. It's like saying Barry Sanders was the best running back of all time, he had more talent than anyone but he didn't stick around long enough to eclipse the statistics that Scott and Billy have.

Quote Originally Posted by biglaud32 View Post
    The best there is, the best there was and the best there ever will be!!! Bloomer and Moyer are without a question in the conversation and debatable but.... It's like all these young kids saying this person that and whatever is better then Jordan! Jordans untouchable on and off the court!
    That is a fringe opinion by some fans that think he was the best. Actually, there is nothing to back it up. If he had stuck around and made a career out of it then there would be something to compare. I've seen him beat the best and get beaten by the best, including Bloomquist beating him at the World Hundred with one arm in a cast.

Freddy laid the smack down on them with a cast on too!

Maybe a cast is needed every now and then.

I remember Jeff winning a Busch race at Pikes Peak when he was in the RCR car. If memory serves he had 1/2 or 3/4 track on the field when the checkers flew.

I can still remeber when Neil Bonnett asked him to try out one if his car’s and give the now defunct All-Pro series. Being from the north we had the ASA. Those were some killer shows the ASA/All-Pro put on back in the day. It was awesome seeing Bobby Allison, Neil Bonett and Jeff Purvis take on asphalt short tracks best. That is what sent him Nascar racing.

I had the privilege to see them both race. They both are one of the best. IMO In Jeff's first 5 starts in the world 100 he had 3 wins and 2 -2nd place finishes . Scott has 4 wins in 25 + starts .

Quote Originally Posted by Pennsboro23 View Post
    Once again, nobody is denying the talent he had. He might have been the best driver to ever get in a late model, talent wise. But at the end of the day, he is not considered to be the best because he doesn't have the accomplishments in late model racing like others do. I'm not doubting that he wouldn't have, had he stayed in dirt racing. It's like saying Barry Sanders was the best running back of all time, he had more talent than anyone but he didn't stick around long enough to eclipse the statistics that Scott and Billy have.
    Believe me I totally get what your saying and I have no problem with people saying Bloomer or Moyer are the best ever because, yes they have more on their resume but, in my opinion Jeff Purvis was the best ever in a dirt late model. He just didn't stay around long enough to build a resume for people to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pennsboro23 View Post
    Barry Sanders is not a viable analogy. Sanders could not better himself from the NFL. Purvis could, and did, advance his career to a higher level from dirt late models into a couple of racing series' where, at that time, it was tougher to win. The reason he got the opportunity to advance up the ladder beyond dirt late models is because he was so much better than everyone else. Believe this, if someone had offered the opportunity to bloomy and Moyer that was offered to Purvis there is little doubt that they would have done exactly what Purvis did. But neither earned the opportunity. That is the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton_Wetter View Post
    That is a fringe opinion by some fans that think he was the best. Actually, there is nothing to back it up. If he had stuck around and made a career out of it then there would be something to compare. I've seen him beat the best and get beaten by the best, including Bloomquist beating him at the World Hundred with one arm in a cast.
    Clay, the exact reason Purvis didn't stick around in dirt late models is because he was so much better than everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle7117 View Post
    I had the privilege to see them both race. They both are one of the best. IMO In Jeff's first 5 starts in the world 100 he had 3 wins and 2 -2nd place finishes . Scott has 4 wins in 25 + starts .
    And there you have it. That record speaks for itself. Nuff said.

Quote Originally Posted by CIRF View Post
    Barry Sanders is not a viable analogy. Sanders could not better himself from the NFL. Purvis could, and did, advance his career to a higher level from dirt late models into a couple of racing series' where, at that time, it was tougher to win. The reason he got the opportunity to advance up the ladder beyond dirt late models is because he was so much better than everyone else. Believe this, if someone had offered the opportunity to bloomy and Moyer that was offered to Purvis there is little doubt that they would have done exactly what Purvis did. But neither earned the opportunity. That is the difference.

Clay, the exact reason Purvis didn't stick around in dirt late models is because he was so much better than everyone else.

And there you have it. That record speaks for itself. Nuff said.
    dam fellas, that had to hurt, lmao
    and thats the truth, truth
    Last edited by grt74; 09-21-2017 at 08:58 PM.