Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dirt on Dirt

It's good to hear from the horses mouth so to speak...that's twice this week we've heard from the people we have discussed here...Dunn Benson now DoD... I'd like to hear more from the folks who are the subject of our praise and, sometimes, ridicule.

When I say I can't afford it it really means I have better uses for my racing budget. Some of you know I'm redoing an old MB chassis to race at my weekly track. Believe me that $90.00 will be spent... I can buy 4 used Hoosiers with that cash. I just spent $100.00 on carb rebuild parts, a set of telescoping gauges for my engine build and a part I need to build a new valve spring compressor. Or it will buy me almost four pit passes.

Two things I can recommend to Mr. Rigsby... allow a NEW prospective customer to have a 14 day free trial to see what they are missing. My ex-gf offered that to me and I stuck around for two years paying a heck of a lot more than $10.00 per month for a lot less satisfaction than DoD can provide.

And I'd just like to ask what percentage of the average (not rabid just average) race fan knows about DoD? I never heard of it until I found this joint by accident trolling the inter web. And I've been a dirt racing fan since the 60's.

Easy for me to say but I think some local track promotions might generate a bunch more folks to discover the product and sign up. Give a bunch of local drivers a free six month subscription in exchange for a big DoD decal on their car. Give them a cheap subscription if they carry a decal and mention/thank DoD for sponsoring them. Sponsor a heat race at some local tracks and make sure they pump your product.

Maybe go out and hand out flyers and decals in the grandstands every week at different tracks. Maybe more subscribers could keep profits up and costs down.

I used to write for Checkered Flag Racing News during the 80's. I wrote and shot photos in exchange for a free pit pass and, maybe, a ticket to the company Christmas party. And now I find out these guys are now getting paid... what a country!!!!
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtfan04 View Post
    The way I see it, my cable, satellite radio, cell phone and internet bills are all way more expensive than DOD. It is not even close. However, I probably spend more time on and get more enjoyment from DOD than TV or Sirius. I watch probably 90% of the videos and read just about every article the they post. If I miss one its usually because I just didn't have time to watch it. So to me, even with the price increase it is still by far the best thing going if you are a DLM racing junkie like myself. So I guess it just comes down to a personal decision based on how much you use the site as to whether or not you think the price is worth it.
    I have to agree with a lot of what you said here and that will be how I come to a decision on whether I renew my subscription. It's only around .28 cents a day so, when I look at it like that it's really not that much for all you get but, I found my self last year not watching as much as I have in the past because of being so busy with work.
    Last edited by kidrock; 01-02-2018 at 07:09 AM.

Based off the number of drunks I see at tracks, many of you could afford lots of things if you just put the bottle down.

Quote Originally Posted by turnleftandgasit View Post
    Based off the number of drunks I see at tracks, many of you could afford lots of things if you just put the bottle down.
    I agree with that 100%. I watch every single video and read all articles and I feel it's all worth the price. Been a member since the beginning and have no plans on canceling.

best $100 doliars sent thanks dirtondirt

It doesn't matter much to me if they need a small price increase, I can't attend every race and the video's and podium finishers interviews are worth it to me. Just the Summernationals coverage alone is worth the price in my opinion. I don't have a huge budget to spend on racing, but part of what I can spend will always be spent at dod.

Quote Originally Posted by mudmaker View Post
    Just saw the email this morning that the price was going up another ten buck on automatic renewal. $99.99 a year.
    Sorry DoD, you have outpriced your usefulness for me. Was questioning if it was worth it at $89. Definitely not worth another ten dollars for occasional info on racing when there are still so many other avenues of intel. Plus it still costs more for ppv.
    Just cut out 2 packs of Pall Mall's or a 20 pack of Keystone Light and you can swing that extra 10 bucks!

Its the best coverage out there no questions asked. Less than 10 bucks a month is not asking much in my opinion.

Go crawl back under your rock your time is up on the internet!

DOD is priceless.

Respect to Rigsby for expaining why and at least acknowledging some of our suggestions I see where he does offer aa subscriber discount for a package deal which is nice for the customer...

Been a subscriber since day 1. Well worth the dime I think. That free payperview would be a nice deal. Would be my first.
    8/13/16

Been a subscriber the last 2 years and can only kick myself for not subscribing sooner. The amount of content is second to none, the video highlights are almost worth the entire cost to me being able to keep up with races I wouldn't otherwise see, and the level of video quality beat anything else out there. PLUS there's Late Model Live, which I put up against anything on the pavement side as far as coverage of weekly, regional and national racing.
    Tyler Williams, Announcer for the Southeast Dirt Modified Series, co-host of The Half Priced Concessions Podcast - available on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google Podcasts, Stitcher, TuneIn, YouTube and on www.anchor.fm/HPCpodcast

There is NO OTHER SOURCE that gives you all of this content. None. Not one. Doesn't exist. Yes you can get copied results or even crappy grainy video on social media. But that is exactly what you have. And if that fulfills you then that is okay. But for the folks who enjoy seeing racing from every corner of the country and hearing drivers immediate post race reactions. For those who enjoy in-depth and behind the scenes articles and stories. Pictures from nearly every special event in the country. Late Model LIVE.

This website is as close to our ESPN as we will ever get. Yes I do a little work for them and Michael is a great friend as are many of the other staffers BUT if they weren't I would still have a subscription and pay the money. Generally speaking there is new content almost daily. And yes you can read rumors or the occasional press release here and other places but when there is major news to break it is almost always brought to DoD FIRST and there is a reason why. So a little increase to keep it growing is just part of the business.

Quote Originally Posted by Highside Hustler25 View Post
    Been a subscriber since day 1. Well worth the dime I think. That free payperview would be a nice deal. Would be my first.
    How many cans of Steel Reserve did you have to give up in order to make payment? Lol and Lol some more 

You wont catch me giving up any of my bad habits on this!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Illtsate32 View Post
    Respect to Rigsby for expaining why and at least acknowledging some of our suggestions I see where he does offer aa subscriber discount for a package deal which is nice for the customer...
    Good post... Always nice to see those behind the sceen come out and share honest feedback with it's paying costomer....

Stand up guy that there Rigsby fella just not somthing Im willing to spend money on even if it was $3 a month.

I love that Rigsby came with a response and it was perfect. Anyone that is truly a fan knows that for 100.00 bucks a year it is a well worth it. Just think about the hours it takes to edit everything and the travel cost to going to all the races that they cover. They have coverage to every race that means anything. Really if you think about everything they do its amazing. The one thing I wish they would cover more of is Modified results. I personally love mods and the bigger races I wish they would at least cover results and work into maybe covering the major races with video. Heck there may already be someone who does it, but IDK.

Quote Originally Posted by Mindwalker View Post
    How many cans of Steel Reserve did you have to give up in order to make payment? Lol and Lol some more 
    you mean Falstaff? my budget accommodates both
    8/13/16

The video section alone is worth the money. Getting to watch all those regional shows,next day,is amazing. Eric Grigsby and Ben Shelton are one of the biggest reasons the sport is getting viewed by more people all the time. I've gotten up at many hotels on race weekends,to go down to eat breakfast in the lobby only to see one of these guys already working in the corner on their laptop. So personally I love what DoD is and will always appreciate it and be a member.

Ill resubscribe ........will just use regular foil this year instead of heavy duty for my hats.....will save by doing that enough to cover the increase costs.

Rigsby made me famous, will always be grateful for that
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

Quote Originally Posted by Mindwalker View Post
    I drink Busch Light so I'm able to keep my subscription going. On real tough weeks though I have a gas station on my way home that sells 24 oz Labatt's Max Ice 8.1% alcohol cans for 99 cents.