Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Get off Planetzero and come back to Earth guy...

Quote Originally Posted by Illtsate32 View Post
    Get off Planetzero and come back to Earth guy...
    Says the guy who claims the DTWC isnt a crown jewel event. LOL. You live in Illinois, whats there to do there?

Quote Originally Posted by Planetzer0 View Post
    Says the guy who claims the DTWC isnt a crown jewel event. LOL. You live in Illinois, whats there to do there?
    I never said the DTWC wasnt a crown jewel. You said that I said that. Now the second part of your statement, you kinda got me there lol, besides being the best state to watch dlm racing not much. Best tracks, best drivers...
    Last edited by Illtsate32; 07-11-2018 at 12:20 PM.

Well considering 3 of the top 5 all time is from Tennessee, I would have to disagree man. Im from Iowa so theres not alot to do here either. LOL

Hands down... talk with the drivers and they easily define with four criteria:

1.) History - drivers will talk about being on next years t-shirt with a the list of HOF drivers that are listed on the back of the event t-shirt
    2.) Trophy - you will hear drivers talk about "I want the globe (Eldora or DTWC), Eagle (USA Nationals), trophy with the flags (US and Confederate for North/South) etc" and the prestige that goes with having that trophy in your trophy case.
    3.) Payout - long before some of the newer events, the crown jewels have a long history of payouts of $40K, $50K, etc. as well as high "to-start" purse. Those promoters took a huge gamble by paying out those purses long ago.
    4.) Venue - you hear drivers talk about big races won at the venue by some of dirt racings biggest names and the biggest events.

Bottom line... you combine the four above and you have history as the main theme of events that were won by the sports biggest names (regional, national and sometimes local).

Fans do not define Crown Jewels - drivers define these races by ones that they most want to win (reasons above) on a national level. Also, I don't think there is one Crown Jewel - what famous crown in history has ever had one jewel? The idea around Crown Jewels is several prestigious races and right now we have less than ten.

BTW... all big races need to come up with a unique trophy. FALS, I-80, Knoxville and others need to come up with an iconic trophy. A trophy from the World 100, USA Nationals, North/South 100... even the Cotton Pickin and Toilet Bowl... these are trophy's you don't have to look at the plate to know what trophy the event represents. Crown Jewels should all have an iconic trophy.

Rich Olson
    Minneapolis, MN

Quote Originally Posted by FANSFund View Post
    Hands down... talk with the drivers and they easily define with four criteria:

1.) History - drivers will talk about being on next years t-shirt with a the list of HOF drivers that are listed on the back of the event t-shirt
    2.) Trophy - you will hear drivers talk about "I want the globe (Eldora or DTWC), Eagle (USA Nationals), trophy with the flags (US and Confederate for North/South) etc" and the prestige that goes with having that trophy in your trophy case.
    3.) Payout - long before some of the newer events, the crown jewels have a long history of payouts of $40K, $50K, etc. as well as high "to-start" purse. Those promoters took a huge gamble by paying out those purses long ago.
    4.) Venue - you hear drivers talk about big races won at the venue by some of dirt racings biggest names and the biggest events.

Bottom line... you combine the four above and you have history as the main theme of events that were won by the sports biggest names (regional, national and sometimes local).

Fans do not define Crown Jewels - drivers define these races by ones that they most want to win (reasons above) on a national level. Also, I don't think there is one Crown Jewel - what famous crown in history has ever had one jewel? The idea around Crown Jewels is several prestigious races and right now we have less than ten.

BTW... all big races need to come up with a unique trophy. FALS, I-80, Knoxville and others need to come up with an iconic trophy. A trophy from the World 100, USA Nationals, North/South 100... even the Cotton Pickin and Toilet Bowl... these are trophy's you don't have to look at the plate to know what trophy the event represents. Crown Jewels should all have an iconic trophy.

Rich Olson
    Minneapolis, MN
    This guy knows what he’s talking about.

Pdc,hillbilly100,firecracker100,jackson100,silver dollar nationals,woo finals can be considered crown jewel and should be

I disagree with the woo finals that is a points race to end their season

Who really cares?

Quote Originally Posted by golddirt View Post
    Who really cares?
    Its all in the Mind, and mine is not working to good no more. So right you are.

Quote Originally Posted by golddirt View Post
    Who really cares?
    The idiots care. Other than that, no one cares. Everyone has their idea of what a crown jewel is and no one is more right than anyone else.

"So let's leave it alone 'cause we can't see eye to eye
    There ain't no good guy, there ain't no bad guy
    There's only you and me and we just disagree"

History, money, and unique format make a crown jewel to me.

Not enough history, and a little light on cash for PDC to be in the crown jewel list. Not every big race qualifies as crown jewel. The PDC is a pretty big race.

I seem to be one of the few that still really see the Hillbilly as a crown jewel. But being the oldest and richest one day show keeps it there for me.
    "The Wise One"

Quote Originally Posted by racincowboy02 View Post
    I disagree with the woo finals that is a points race to end their season
    It's not even one big paying event. It's two separate ones that pay $10-12k each.

Quote Originally Posted by brsteg View Post
    History, money, and unique format make a crown jewel to me.

Not enough history, and a little light on cash for PDC to be in the crown jewel list. Not every big race qualifies as crown jewel. The PDC is a pretty big race.

I seem to be one of the few that still really see the Hillbilly as a crown jewel. But being the oldest and richest one day show keeps it there for me.
    I'm with you on the Hillbilly.

Hell I've saw some 30 lap features that cant compare to some crown jewel races. I just ant to see a good race as I don't care what its called

Some on here thinking its ignorant to not think of the DTWC as a crown jewel seems stupid to me. I don't think the DTWC is anymore of a crown jewel event than the show-me-100 these days. That race died after 1997 and the show-me-100 after 2009.

I agree with the poster above that there can only be one crown jewel win and thats the world 100. But there is other important events and to me what makes an event important is that it has to have a long history, has to be at the same track, has to have been run every year, has to pay good, has to have a distinctive atmosphere (this is something that the drivers and especially the fans create, they create a sacred place), known for memorable moments and great races.

IMO the top four races are

World 100 - The crown jewel
    Jackson 100 (it pays well enough)
    Prairie Dirt Classic
    USA Nationals

I would think one defining criteria would be that the race is big enough that it doesn't need a support class.

Personally, I don't think FALS needs a support class for the PDC.

Quote Originally Posted by Crossbones View Post
    Some on here thinking its ignorant to not think of the DTWC as a crown jewel seems stupid to me. I don't think the DTWC is anymore of a crown jewel event than the show-me-100 these days. That race died after 1997 and the show-me-100 after 2009.

I agree with the poster above that there can only be one crown jewel win and thats the world 100. But there is other important events and to me what makes an event important is that it has to have a long history, has to be at the same track, has to have been run every year, has to pay good, has to have a distinctive atmosphere (this is something that the drivers and especially the fans create, they create a sacred place), known for memorable moments and great races.

IMO the top four races are

World 100 - The crown jewel
    Jackson 100 (it pays well enough)
    Prairie Dirt Classic
    USA Nationals
    The Jackson 100 is not even in the top 25 big races.

Quote Originally Posted by cgrace View Post
    Personally, I don't think FALS needs a support class for the PDC.
    They don't but the mods put on a good show and it adds a little bit more racing action for the fans.
    8/13/16