Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Feger DOD Story

Been going to Dirt Racing for 60 years!! Have to agree! Those top heavy purses! Always thought why not break it down. IThink would get would get more cars. JMO !

Quote Originally Posted by TUTY View Post
    Why then do 95% off drivers want a huge $50,000 To Win instead of $25,000 To Win and a much more competitive purse through out the field?
    I think it's less than 95%. The giant purses are more of a draw for the fans. There are a segment of elite drivers who chase those big races because they have a real shot of winning or they get show-up money. There is a different segment of drivers who just want to be a part of the spectacle. Then there are what I consider to be the silent majority, those who see that first pays $50,000 but second is $10,000 and when you get back to 5th on back it becomes essentially weekly pay with an entry fee so they don't bother showing up.

Quote Originally Posted by Highbanked View Post
    Been going to Dirt Racing for 60 years!! Have to agree! Those top heavy purses! Always thought why not break it down. IThink would get would get more cars. JMO !
    Here is something to think about why Dolly pardon purses seem to work for the promoters:

Example 20K to win vs 6K to win but same overall purse

1. Racers are fickle sometimes, many times you can get 40 cars for 3K and month later do a 6 to 10K and many of the locals won't show due to the fact they think all the big dogs are coming and they can't be competitive....seen that one many times

2. As a fan, typically I will see the same guys racing over the year at that track for a normal show, but if you do the high first place prize money it tends to bring a few big names that wouldn't. So, as a fan I'm more likely to not miss that races due to I may not see bloomer, JD, or some other names race often and will for sure go because there are guys I don't see for a normal show.

3. Who draws more fans or butts in the stands? 10 extra local/regional racers that tend to race there anyways or 1 big name that rarely/never races at that track?

4. A fan may not drive 2 or 3 hours and spend the money to go to a show when it's the same guys racing he see's and can wait a week and go to closer track and see them there. However with the big 1st place prize money, I will more likely go to see guys I don't see race. Sure you die hard fans hit all the races they can but not everyone can afford or has time to go to every race in their area.

Not saying it's right, but you can see it might/could be better for a total purse of 50K for the promoter to do 20K to win and drop of huge on pay down then to do a 10K to win and pay really well back. More cars don't always mean more money, it's more about which cars sometimes and what draws people to the stands.
    Last edited by billetbirdcage; 08-06-2018 at 03:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TUTY View Post
    Why then do 95% off drivers want a huge $50,000 To Win instead of $25,000 To Win and a much more competitive purse through out the field?
    I also don't believe that to be true. I'd say the other way that 95% of the local or regional non professional racers prefer 2 one days shows for 10K then a 2 day show for 20K or a lower 1st place purse and pay back better. Now the professional races, I'd say like the higher purse but still prefer 1 day shows over 2 days shows.