Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Should Big Money Races Be Worth More Points?

https://insidedirtracing.com/turn-2-...h-more-points/

Should a driver who wins a $10,000 series race receive the same number of points as a driver who wins a $50,000 series race?

Yes. I don’t know why they all aren’t points races. All series regulars are gonna start thanks to this era of emergency provisionals. I don’t get it. ...If no emergency provisionals then no.
    2023 Races - WoO at TST

NO...…………………………………………………………………...

He ll nooooooooo !!!!!

Looks like I’ll be in the minority here but I think they should be worth more. Most of the $10,000 to win races are 40 or 50 laps. High paying races are 100 laps.

One thing I really don’t is like how prelim nights on $50,000 to win shows are just show up points.

So how many points would Earl have gotten at Mansfield?
    8/13/16

Base points on number of entries. 50 cars entered, 50 points to win, drop 1 point per position. 100 cars, 100 points, etc.

I may also be in the minority, but I think 100 lap wins should be worth proportionally more than 50 or 60 lap events. In addition, I would like to see wins worth significantly more than second place to provide more reward and incentive for drivers to "go for it" rather than riding for "a good points night". IMHO that makes for a better show for the fans and should keep most championship battles interesting for longer. If a driver could reel off 5 or 6 wins down the stretch to make up a huge point deficit, that adds more interest to the points race.

Quote Originally Posted by Winston_Wolfe View Post
    I may also be in the minority, but I think 100 lap wins should be worth proportionally more than 50 or 60 lap events. In addition, I would like to see wins worth significantly more than second place to provide more reward and incentive for drivers to "go for it" rather than riding for "a good points night". IMHO that makes for a better show for the fans and should keep most championship battles interesting for longer. If a driver could reel off 5 or 6 wins down the stretch to make up a huge point deficit, that adds more interest to the points race.
    The gap between first and second is 4X the gap from 4th to 5th now. Reeling off wins does exactly as you say.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -3
    Atomic - 2
    Moler - 1

so determine the champion by most $$$ won???
    And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days - Ray Wylie Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by Fully Torqued View Post
    What a silly post. Of all the issues that need to be addressed, and you ask this question. Why?
    It is silly but 4m is a silly place. I’ve often thought about this before. I like this post. I don’t like or read all the posts on here but I choose which ones to click and read. You can do the same. There are plenty of other threads talking about all the issues. This one isn’t that one.

Am for changes that can help the current state of late models but changing the points structure isn’t one of them. Championship battles for both series have been interesting most years. And why would you want to let guys duck out on 10-12k races with less points consequences?

I don't think they should pay any more points than a "regular" WoO or Lucas show, but I do think they should be full points paying races. I don't like the idea of show up points at all.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

I think so, 2 day shows with a high car count and difficult qualifying set ups should pay out more points !

Knoxville, World, Dream etc.

100 laps should pay more as well !

Just say no...

No track should have any more points races, than any other and no race should award more points.

Every racer is better at one track than another. That gives someone an advantage if they are good at that track. Example Moyer used to be hot at Volusia speed weeks and was to his advantage. If they raced 2 or 3 points races at Macon, Bobby would have an advantage. If they raced more long tracks in PA., Rick Eckert might have an advantage. Lots of different possibilities, but all unfair for a points chase. More points for big money races, would be the same.

MasterSbilt_Racer, I am not sure what points system you mean. I was referring specifically to the fact that a Lucas Oil A-main win is worth 200 points per the 2018 rule book. 2nd is 180, 3rd is 170, 4th is 160 and 5th is 155. I think a win should be worth more like 220 or 230 points to give a guy more incentive to push harder for the win rather than be content with 2nd or 3rd. Seems that would make for more exciting finishes when a guy can make up significant ground on the points leader by winning.

Quote Originally Posted by Winston_Wolfe View Post
    MasterSbilt_Racer, I am not sure what points system you mean. I was referring specifically to the fact that a Lucas Oil A-main win is worth 200 points per the 2018 rule book. 2nd is 180, 3rd is 170, 4th is 160 and 5th is 155. I think a win should be worth more like 220 or 230 points to give a guy more incentive to push harder for the win rather than be content with 2nd or 3rd. Seems that would make for more exciting finishes when a guy can make up significant ground on the points leader by winning.
    I mean that one. The 20 point Gap from 1st to second is significant. Imo. When guys win 3 or so in a row, they typically make up over 100 points. That very structure is why Davenport has a decent lead. Everyone is saying he isn't doing anything. But, he has a fair number of wins.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -3
    Atomic - 2
    Moler - 1

once upon a time...

https://www.dirtondirt.com/history-defunct.php?id=3

what 15 events today would make a great Big Johnson tour?
    And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days - Ray Wylie Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by klemmabyna View Post
    once upon a time...

https://www.dirtondirt.com/history-defunct.php?id=3

what 15 events today would make a great Big Johnson tour?
    World, Dream, North South, DTWC, Knoxville, USA Nats, Firecracker, PDC, Silver Dollar Nats, Show Me, Hillbilly, Pittsburgher, Illini, Jackson 100, First in Flight.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

World, Dream, Dirt Million, DTWC, USA Nationals, Silver Dollar Nationals, Show Me, Firecracker, PDC, North South, Topless, Hillbilly, Knoxville, Gateway, World Finals
    2023 Races - WoO at TST