Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Donny Schatz

Default Donny Schatz

If he was to put that LM he has to good use. Over/under for wins on the WoO tour? Any chance it would ever happen? Would you like to see him give it a try?

Yup, that would be fun to watch him.

Quote Originally Posted by MI Dirt Fan View Post
    If he was to put that LM he has to good use. Over/under for wins on the WoO tour? Any chance it would ever happen? Would you like to see him give it a try?
    How many years do you give him to get that win?

His last few true open late model attempts have been less than impressive.

I’d bet he’d go winless the first year, but would get one or two once he had notes on the tracks.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

I'd set the over/under at 2 personally, If he focused everything on the latemodel an left the sprintcar alone. No discredit to the latemodel guys at all I just think he's that capable, he would be parked next to rocket 1 all year long an have Mark an Brandon at his disposal for the duration of the year he would never go to a track without a baseline an wouldn't be seeing a fair amount of the tracks for the first time either. I get there two different animals but 20 plus wins on tour the last 6 years running an the will to wanna learn latemodels says alot in my opinion. I'm not putting him in a crown jewel win but I could easily see him putting himself in position to get one or two at a rain shortened or a rubbered up track or running secound at a 50 lap event or preliminary night of a big weekend an having a break or two go his way such as ..... leader with a flat or getting cought in lap traffic. Think it over fellas.

The same amount Dennis Erb, Mason Zeigler, and Rick Eckert combined for this year on tour. 0.

I think he'd get atleast one win his first year. Maybe not right outta the gate. And probably be somewhat competitive most other nights.

Quote Originally Posted by george w View Post
    I'd set the over/under at 2 personally, If he focused everything on the latemodel an left the sprintcar alone. No discredit to the latemodel guys at all I just think he's that capable, he would be parked next to rocket 1 all year long an have Mark an Brandon at his disposal for the duration of the year he would never go to a track without a baseline an wouldn't be seeing a fair amount of the tracks for the first time either. I get there two different animals but 20 plus wins on tour the last 6 years running an the will to wanna learn latemodels says alot in my opinion. I'm not putting him in a crown jewel win but I could easily see him putting himself in position to get one or two at a rain shortened or a rubbered up track or running secound at a 50 lap event or preliminary night of a big weekend an having a break or two go his way such as ..... leader with a flat or getting cought in lap traffic. Think it over fellas.
    No need to think it over, I think you pretty much nailed it. I've seen him win a few times in the late model at River Cities Speedway in Grand Forks, ND when they also were there with the WoO Sprints. I know it's not against all the big boys of late models but Ricky Weiss has been there when Schatz has won and that's where he came from and look where he is now.

He gets a good crew chief on that SLM and I say he parks it in victory circle early...

He has a better chance of winning in one of the big 2 late model series than I could see any of today's late model drivers having a chance of winning a WoO or All Star 410 sprint car race......

He dominates when the track gets slick .... it takes the most talent when the track gets slick .... he would do just fine

He’s aligned with the Rocket camp so I have no doubt he would be more competitive than people want to think or give him credit for. I think he’d get at least 1 win his 1st year.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtcrazy4u View Post
    He gets a good crew chief on that SLM and I say he parks it in victory circle early...
    That is definitely true about the crew chief.

Quote Originally Posted by ClampedUp View Post
    He has a better chance of winning in one of the big 2 late model series than I could see any of today's late model drivers having a chance of winning a WoO or All Star 410 sprint car race......
    Who would have the best chance? Hudson O'Neal has run some open wheel stuff I believe?

Donny Schatz is one of the best wheel man out there. I agree with dirtcrazy it would not take long with the right crew chief to get a win. Like him or not the guy can win!

Quote Originally Posted by pfd60 View Post
    Donny Schatz is one of the best wheel man out there. I agree with dirtcrazy it would not take long with the right crew chief to get a win. Like him or not the guy can win!
    Agreed the guy know what it takes as a driver to win a race thay is the biggest thing. Not so much knowing how to drive a latemodel but knowing how to win races and he is well versed in that. And he's already clearly proven he can get the job done on this side

I realize this is a SLM forum. But, you watch Shatz when the track gets black, everybody just burns the rear tires up. You almost never see that with Ricky warner and donnie shatz. Shatz is vulnerable if the track gets black and everyone is hammer down on the cushion. If he can get turned under someone and come off the corner he will pass them. Kinda reminds me of the goat. Rarely do you see him burning the rear tires off the car.

Quote Originally Posted by MI Dirt Fan View Post
    Who would have the best chance? Hudson O'Neal has run some open wheel stuff I believe?
    We have seen O'Neal in a midget several times and a 410 sprint car just once. We have yet to see him run all that well. IIRC his best showing in dirt open wheel cars was a 2nd or a 3rd at Brownstown a couple of years ago driving a 410 wingless sprint car in an unsanctioned event and that was against some relative heavy hitters.

Schotz is a natural talent. Naturally talented drivers can usually win in anything to which they devote their full attention. He has an uncanny ability to avoid trouble on the racetrack. As has been said before in this thread, Schotz probably could win in a late model very quickly against the best in the division when teamed with a talented and thorough crew chief. Ricky Warner is a disciple of Carl Kinser and is a large part of the success of the 15 car in WoO competition. Give Schotzy a guy as good with late models as Warner is with winged sprint cars and Donnie would win very quickly.

He could get a few wins the first year. Donny is smooth, takes care of the car and the tires and is very good when the tracks get slick. He runs the cushion when he needs too, but he is best on the bottom or in the middle. He is that good in the sprint car. He is #2 after Kinser in my all-time sprint car drivers book.

Thanks everyone so far for the comments. It's been a good conversation.