Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Stuckey/EPJ/Dunn Benson

Which do you think has had more of an effect on EPJ's success since switching to the Black Diamond house car? Do you think it is due to EPJ driving better and his chemistry with Stuckey, Stuckey's car building/set ups or is it just moving on from Dunn Benson?

I have no idea, but I think it's largely due to Stuckey. I don't think EPJ ever forgot to drive and I don't think it's the fault of Dunn Benson, so it's got to be Stuckey as a car builder and crew chief. I'm interested in what you guys think though.

Stuckey.....they have had a lot of success together!

The Black Diamond chassis may be a strong contender this year.

Prior to the start of last season, I said Earl would improve. Stuckey was the reason. So, I am sticking with that.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 2

It's the whole package.....Stuckey, the crew, and EPJ. They just meld together.

Speaking of DB not a good start for Moran.

Quote Originally Posted by Illtsate32 View Post
    He did decent night 1 and was pretty fast.

Devin moran is not Bobby Pierce ,so dont expect much from that team this year

I believe it was mentioned Stuckey wasn't there.

Quote Originally Posted by formercrewguy View Post
    It's the whole package.....Stuckey, the crew, and EPJ. They just meld together.
    Ditto!!! Simple as that

Quote Originally Posted by Illtsate32 View Post
    Let's take an apples to apples look:
    Moran at Golden Isles in his first two races with DB
    8th and 13th, avg finish 10.5

Pierce at Golden Isles in his first two Lucas races with DB (remember he had the week in AZ w/DB prior to Lucas opener)
    18th and 7th, avg finish 12.5

It's only two races, but since you want to put Devin under the microscope...the results say Devin's been better.😂

Moran and Pierce are both great young drivers. However Pierce is already quite accomplished for his age. Moran will do fine and I will be pulling for him too.

Seems like EPJ and DB just got stale and they both needed to go different directions.
    Last edited by MI Dirt Fan; 02-03-2019 at 04:23 PM.

OK I should know this, but at one time a Black Diamond was a modified Masterbuilt. Is it Stuckys own chassis or someone else who he modifiys?

Seems Pearson got complacent with mid-pack finishes at DB and got some pressure to perform better.

Quote Originally Posted by RRRKKK View Post
    OK I should know this, but at one time a Black Diamond was a modified Masterbuilt. Is it Stuckys own chassis or someone else who he modifiys?
    It started with lanigan leaving rocket to make his own cars, partnered with Stuckey to build cars. They were lanigans version of a rocket (club 29), if you bought a complete car it was a club 29 and you got lanigan's help if you bought it as an incomplete car (more or less, but that statement isn't 100% correct but gives the idea) then you bought a black diamond and got Stuckey's help.

The cars then progressed from there.

Note: it was a little more complicated then that but that gives the basic idea of it.

Quote Originally Posted by stewart fan View Post
    Devin moran is not Bobby Pierce ,so dont expect much from that team this year
    Well as it has already been mentioned, since we're basing our predictions off of two races, Moran is off to a better start.

Quote Originally Posted by billetbirdcage View Post
    It started with lanigan leaving rocket to make his own cars, partnered with Stuckey to build cars. They were lanigans version of a rocket (club 29), if you bought a complete car it was a club 29 and you got lanigan's help if you bought it as an incomplete car (more or less, but that statement isn't 100% correct but gives the idea) then you bought a black diamond and got Stuckey's help.

The cars then progressed from there.

Note: it was a little more complicated then that but that gives the basic idea of it.
    Thanks for that info. I was wondering how that worked.

I don't think you can really compare Moran and Pierce after two races. I do think it is interesting that EPJ has emerged as a front runner since joining Stuckey's house car program. People may not remember, but he was running Black Diamonds with Dunn Benson a few years back and didn't do very well. The more I think about it, the more I am convinced that the issue is more than just Stuckey and that the Dunn Benson team is really struggling to compete at a high level no matter who is driving.

Speaking of Lanigan, is he now building the "new" Club 29 from scratch at his own shop or does he have someone else building them for him and then putting his own touches on them like he did with Stuckey????

Quote Originally Posted by BTExpress View Post
    Speaking of Lanigan, is he now building the "new" Club 29 from scratch at his own shop or does he have someone else building them for him and then putting his own touches on them like he did with Stuckey????
    The separation from black diamond has been coming for a long time. Well over a year ago Lanigan had someone build a jig for him, but nothing came of it for a long time as far as I know. He is building cars or least starting too as far as I know but who or where I'm not 100% sure. I do believe that only club cars will be built and there won't be more then one chassis almost the same being built by the same person/entity.

Not really going to get into the rumors as to why the separation as it's just that rumors and probably only part of the story. I do think most of it involved around the original business plan morphed into something completely different and wasn't what Darrell really wanted. Again may not be 100% accurate but gives the basic idea without adding rumors, non public info or whatnot.