Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by TBSprintFan View Post
    Was your dad more mad that you raced or that you lost? Lol
    Lol. Neither. Big things like that, didn’t push his buttons. But when you smash a styrofoam cooler when you’re like 6, that he specifically said don’t, it was butt whoopin time.

Can’t say I’m much different, the key is, if I tell you do not do something, and you do it, then yeah, I’m ticked.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

Quote Originally Posted by TBSprintFan View Post
    We used to have spectator drags (2 cars from a dead start for a green white checkered race with the winner going on and the loser done, normally would have from 6 to 10 cars or trucks) at our track when it was open, but that is over 25 years ago, insurance probably would not allow something like that anymore.
    There are a few pavement tracks I know of that still do the spectator drags. Rockford in Illinois is one. They done them during the time they had the place covered in dirt for a few. New Smyrna does them as well. Here is a video of gt350r getting junked during one.

https://youtu.be/warjHif8aM8

I would definetly travel some place to go watch one if the cars were worth going to go watch.
    Last edited by zyoung25; 02-21-2019 at 06:23 AM.

Default Zonks32x

You throw out some great ideas to involve community groups such as Boy Scouts, etc. I have to agree. But if their experience is bad restrooms, drunks in the stands, lousy concessions, chaos on the track, and too long of a program we’ve just confirmed what they may have already heard that is negative about their local track. Point is they’ve got to have a positive experience once you get them in the gate. We long time ardent fans will put up with it, casual fans won’t.
    I hate time trials.

This is a very good post. I like and appreciate getting thoughts and ideas from fans. I have put a few of these in my phone to use.

I also believe in a timely show. Any time I am involved in making a schedule I always put time limits on support classes. But I also want tracks and fans to be fair. Those guys deserve the respect and to be treated fairly too. So don't expect their time limits to be ridiculously short.

Not making any excuses for any tracks but I do want to offer my perspective on a couple of things. Unfortunately 15 minutes worth of track prep won't work in some areas of the country just because of the make up of the surface. At most places around the southeast reworking a track will take well more than 15 minutes.

I am not a big fan of intermissions at all. I know that sometimes they are necessary for several different reasons. But they can kill the flow and momentum - and sometimes even the excitement / anticipation - of a show.

I also believe that the headliner shouldn't be the last feature. But I will say if the track has done its part and got the big guns out in a timely manner, do yourself a favor and stick around. Some of the best racing you will see happens in those support classes. And who knows you may have witness to a future star of the sport as they cut their teeth.

I am a huge fan of finding ways to involve kids and the community. I look at Fairbury and how that entire town is involved with the track. They have done a good job keeping everyone involved.

Quote Originally Posted by zyoung25 View Post
    There are a few pavement tracks I know of that still do the spectator drags. Rockford in Illinois is one. They done them during the time they had the place covered in dirt for a few. New Smyrna does them as well. Here is a video of gt350r getting junked during one.

https://youtu.be/warjHif8aM8

I would definetly travel some place to go watch one if the cars were worth going to go watch.
    Beautiful car, nice color. But it is a Mustang driver, so there’s that. I swear, I’m sure I’ll catch flack for it, but crotch rockets, and Mustangs, insert key, or put key fob in pocket, it stores your brains in there. Total idiots.

Really a shame, that Mustang is tough. Like I’d almost go against my rule of absolutely no Mustang because of how most people who own one drive.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

Quote Originally Posted by flagone View Post
    This is a very good post. I like and appreciate getting thoughts and ideas from fans. I have put a few of these in my phone to use.

I also believe in a timely show. Any time I am involved in making a schedule I always put time limits on support classes. But I also want tracks and fans to be fair. Those guys deserve the respect and to be treated fairly too. So don't expect their time limits to be ridiculously short.

Not making any excuses for any tracks but I do want to offer my perspective on a couple of things. Unfortunately 15 minutes worth of track prep won't work in some areas of the country just because of the make up of the surface. At most places around the southeast reworking a track will take well more than 15 minutes.

I am not a big fan of intermissions at all. I know that sometimes they are necessary for several different reasons. But they can kill the flow and momentum - and sometimes even the excitement / anticipation - of a show.

I also believe that the headliner shouldn't be the last feature. But I will say if the track has done its part and got the big guns out in a timely manner, do yourself a favor and stick around. Some of the best racing you will see happens in those support classes. And who knows you may have witness to a future star of the sport as they cut their teeth.

I am a huge fan of finding ways to involve kids and the community. I look at Fairbury and how that entire town is involved with the track. They have done a good job keeping everyone involved.
    Nice post Kelley.

In regards to all the ideas for kids, bike races, etc, do those things on regular weekly shows. Never on special events. Your out of towners like me don’t give a rip about it.
    2023 Races - WoO at TST

Pay 15-20% extra for drivers with open trailers. Big old enclosed with a racecar, out of sight out of mind.

Quote Originally Posted by powerslide View Post
    Pay 15-20% extra for drivers with open trailers. Big old enclosed with a racecar, out of sight out of mind.
    This post got me thinking how it was back in the day with open trailers going through town on the way to the track. People seen the cars and it created exitment and drew people out to the track.
    Now days with the big enclosed haulers and trailers it isn't the same for all people. Many think it's just a bunch of rich kids going to race and then when they don't win throw a fit afterwards.
    I hope some of the posts on here sink in with today's promoters because much of what has been posted so far is the truth about the state today's racing is in.

Time management and exciting racing (track prep) is required for new fans to be interested. Take anyone to Bowman Gray and they love it (even though it’s asphalt). Promoters there are genius at using so-called social “bashing “ to their advantage(exciting) Most promoters can’t handle constructive criticism and immediately start with “don’t bash tracks”. Kills me that they will not address the problem???? If people continue to “bash” about the same things...dust,time,etc. chances are,it’s a problem?

Okay, I'll bore everyone with my testimonial regarding when in life I began going to races. I was 8 years old and only during the last 2 years of high school and 4 years of college did I refrain from attending dirt races. Other than those 6 years of lapse's in judgement, due mainly to lack of disposable resources, we've been a faithful dirt racing supporter which includes a period of a 7 or 8 years when we were involved with a multi time championship caliber dirt late model team.

The starting times, track prep, excessive support classes, arbitrary rules enforcement, facility maintenance and aesthetics, length of program, blah blah blah, have all been adequately, if not excessively expressed.

Besides all the obvious my largest concern is the incorporation of policies of interest to young people. We all have heard and are aware of the aging of the fan base of dirt track racing in general. I do not pretend to understand how to more successfully get the kids interested and keep them interested but it needs to be a top priority. If that includes making dirt track racing more palatable to families then so be it. It's been done in the stadium motorcycle racing world and also with the monster trucks. Dirt racing really needs to figure a way to tap into that fan base but I'm not smart enough to lay out a plan to do it, but I'm sure someone, somewhere is.

Just got back from Florida,I only went to Volusia 1 night because they were gouging prices. Three forths of grandstands reserved? Wont be back for a long time! Races wasnt that good.
    East bay,same way,not much value for the High admission price, less than 3 hours of racing.
    I could have aforded to go more, just wasnt going to be Gouged, too much good racing coming up in my backyard at reasonable prices.
    Did enjoy visiting Sis in Florida and the flea markets. If you dont want to run people off, keep prices reasonable!
    Eldora 8
    Knoxville IA 3
    Lancaster county NC 1
    Cherokee NC 1
    Richmond KY 1
    Midway 1
    Lotsa streaming

Quote Originally Posted by CIRF View Post
    Okay, I'll bore everyone with my testimonial regarding when in life I began going to races. I was 8 years old and only during the last 2 years of high school and 4 years of college did I refrain from attending dirt races. Other than those 6 years of lapse's in judgement, due mainly to lack of disposable resources, we've been a faithful dirt racing supporter which includes a period of a 7 or 8 years when we were involved with a multi time championship caliber dirt late model team.

The starting times, track prep, excessive support classes, arbitrary rules enforcement, facility maintenance and aesthetics, length of program, blah blah blah, have all been adequately, if not excessively expressed.

Besides all the obvious my largest concern is the incorporation of policies of interest to young people. We all have heard and are aware of the aging of the fan base of dirt track racing in general. I do not pretend to understand how to more successfully get the kids interested and keep them interested but it needs to be a top priority. If that includes making dirt track racing more palatable to families then so be it. It's been done in the stadium motorcycle racing world and also with the monster trucks. Dirt racing really needs to figure a way to tap into that fan base but I'm not smart enough to lay out a plan to do it, but I'm sure someone, somewhere is.
    We'll do it all again blah blah blah within a years time CIRF, ain't it great?????

Just save, copy and paste when the time comes!!!

Quote Originally Posted by welderron105 View Post
    Just got back from Florida,I only went to Volusia 1 night because they were gouging prices. Three forths of grandstands reserved? Wont be back for a long time! Races wasnt that good.
    East bay,same way,not much value for the High admission price, less than 3 hours of racing.
    I could have aforded to go more, just wasnt going to be Gouged, too much good racing coming up in my backyard at reasonable prices.
    Did enjoy visiting Sis in Florida and the flea markets. If you dont want to run people off, keep prices reasonable!
    East bay, 40 bucks admission, 3-4 hrs of racing, no support classes, best in the business racing, I freaking loved it. Worth every penny!
    2023 Races - WoO at TST

Gambling !

I wasn’t there but if it was 40 bucks every night at east bay, including those two, 6000 to win shows , that’s pretty excessive. You can get into the final night of Crown Jewels for that price.

5k, 7k, 12k shows. 30, 35, 40 bucks admission I believe. Packed out every night. So I guess it’s not excessive. ...bunch of yall think everything should be 15-25 bucks. Your wrong. It cost more to see the best drivers in the country race. And I was beyond glad to pay it.
    2023 Races - WoO at TST

Instead of inviting people to a hillbilly hole , you have to have a place decent enough for a a family to want to come to . I mean if your going to run a business , it has to be family friendly . People have to many options .This is not the nineteen fifties or sixties no more .

Here's a thought about babies and toddlers, before anyone bites my head off, how about tracks can have a nursery kinda like a planet fitness does. You can drop your baby or toddler off, it's not like you would be far from them and could check on them multiple times...I'd hate to be judged if you are I diehard fan and can't find a babysitter, I'm not saying it's a wise decision to bring them bit let's not condemn them and offer a solution...

Here's the solution. You don't bring an infant to a racetrack.