Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Soups /it's cold

Anybody want to share any soup or cold weather favorites you make or have had? Not so much the whole recipe or how it's made ( unless you want to share the recipe) but just a general description of it, what it has in it and it's basic taste profile( spicy, creamy,thin or more like a stew etc)
    Hoping to come across something that sounds good to make during this last blast of cold and to maybe file away for an idea to cook later.

I'll go first......stuffed bell pepper soup, tastes like the classic stuff bell pepper and made with the same ingredients ( burger, rice, peppers, tomato sauce etc)....the consistency is more like a stew than it is a soup, it's stick to your ribs food when it's cold.

You can find recipes for it about anywhere and they are all pretty similar....we just fix it the way we like it with multi color peppers, extra onions and garlic etc. and top it with sharp cheddar /shaved parm scrape of cheese.
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

Its not a soup, but I came across a good, hearty sandwich, made like a grilled cheese......its called a Blue Creek special! Ham, pepperoni, pepper jack cheese, and banana pepper slices an your choice of condiments!

It goes very well with my wifes ham/corn chowder. Ham, corn, scallions in a white cream base!

Ham and corn chowder sounds good.....we make a corn chowder that sounds similar except it's with crab.

Thanks zero

Have you ever tried Raccoon soup?

chili , made with fresh ground deer and the solid chili block you find in the refrigerated section , kinda looks like a stick of butter , i saute onions in with the meat when im browning it , then add chili block , put in crock pot with petite diced tomatoes , dark and light kidney beans and a small can of original rotello , which adds just enough heat , simmer for long as you want , serve with corn chips and shredded cheese........

Quote Originally Posted by kidrock View Post
    Have you ever tried Raccoon soup?
    i have , better than you would think , kinda taste like beef stew ,

Quote Originally Posted by fastford View Post
    i have , better than you would think , kinda taste like beef stew ,
    Well at least you didn't say it taste like chicken lol.

When it's as cold outside, as it has been the past few days, I get a strong hankerin' to make a big ol' pot of oyster stew!

Oyster stew is a long, long standing Christmas Eve tradition that dates back to before my grandmother, God rest her soul. But, it sounds very good on a cold and windy day like today, too.

Beef Stroganoff made in the slow cooker. We use stew meat from our half beef.
    2lbs stew meat
    2 cans golden mushroom soup
    1/2 cup beef broth
    4oz cream cheese
    1 packet of French onion soup mix & dollop of sour cream
    1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    In the slow cooker combine the meat, French onion soup packet, Worcestershire sauce and beef broth
    Cook on low for 8 hours, stir in cream cheese and sour cream just before serving
    Serve over egg noodles Enjoy

All good stuff y'all.....I've had possum stew, won't be eating it again ...never had raccoon.

Oyster stew is one of our favorites CIRF, we live along the coast and it gets made a good bit.

Appreciate the ideas , keep em coming.....ill try and add a few along the way too.

Quote Originally Posted by cmmg42 View Post
    2lbs stew meat
    1/2 cup beef broth
    4oz cream cheese
    In the slow cooker combine the meat, French onion soup packet, Worcestershire sauce and beef broth
    Cook on low for 8 hours, stir in cream cheese and sour cream just before serving
    I could eat multiple bowls of this.....never made it in the crock before, probably going to steal this one.

I thinks it’s better than the box stuff you buy at the store. Hey bbq, got a brisket to smoke and would like some ideas

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by CIRF View Post
    When it's as cold outside, as it has been the past few days, I get a strong hankerin' to make a big ol' pot of oyster stew! Oyster stew is a long, long standing Christmas Eve tradition that dates back to before my grandmother, God rest her soul. But, it sounds very good on a cold and windy day like today, too.
    And as an added bonus, it puts lead into your pencil !

Default Brisket

We cook the whole briskets normally over hickory coals for about 12/15 hours depending on how big the brisket is and how cold it is outside.....our smokers are all wood and charcoal fired so it's a little tricky to keep it at 225 consistently when the wind is blowing or it's wet and rainy.

Target smoker temp is 225 the entire time and we usually wrap ours in foil with some unsalted butter for the last few hours.....helps keep it moist.

Briskets are hard sometimes , don't be disappointed if it doesn't come out perfect the first couple times......best tip I've ever gotten on them is to let them cool completely before slicing across the grain to serve.

Also, if you wrap them .....when you pull the meat out of the foil to cool , save the buttery aujus for later......heat it up and brush on the sliced brisket or serve it on the side for dipping the brisket in.

I've had really great brisket from out west and I would say ours is pretty good but not the greatest I've ever had....it's a work in progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbecueboy View Post
    All good stuff y'all.....I've had possum stew, won't be eating it again ...never had raccoon.

Oyster stew is one of our favorites CIRF, we live along the coast and it gets made a good bit.

Appreciate the ideas , keep em coming.....ill try and add a few along the way too.
    I've had both bbq'd coon and coon stew and really like it. I believe you'd like coon stew, BBQB. I've never had the nerve to try possum but if I ever did I think it'd have to be in a stew. We have a lot of possum in our neck of the woods and they remind me too much of big white rats so it's not something I have much hankerin' to be tastin'. Although, I've heard it's pretty dam good but I prolly will never know.

I envy you, BBQB! I'm bettin' in your neck of the woods you have a plentiful supply of good quality fresh, never been frozen, oysters and that would be much better than the frozen one's we can get here in the Midwest. I'd love to get my hands on a bunch of fresh oysters for Christmas Eve!! I make oyster dressing for Thanksgiving dinner and Christmas dinner. Just thinkin' about it makes me hungry!

Quote Originally Posted by Raceready View Post
    And as an added bonus, it puts lead into your pencil !
    I've heard that is true but my bride of 20+ years is in charge of that situation and she does an exemplary job. LOL!!
    Last edited by CIRF; 03-06-2019 at 01:15 PM.

Good fresh oysters are never an issue except for the months without an R in their name....may , June , July and August we have to buy them from somewhere else, and I usually pass.

Oyster dressing, yes.....steamed oysters most definately a yes.....fried oysters, yes....we even make a Rockefeller version but instead of spinach we use chopped collard greens.....not much in the oyster category I don't like except for raw.

I'm not much onto raw anything including sushi......I joke with my buddies and tell them I like my sushi dredged in corn meal and deep fried

I'm envious right back because as good as our seafood is , we can't come close to the Midwest for great beef.....

Quote Originally Posted by cmmg42 View Post
    2lbs stew meat
    1/2 cup beef broth
    4oz cream cheese
    Now THAT sounds good.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbecueboy View Post
    I'm not much onto raw anything including sushi......I joke with my buddies and tell them I like my sushi dredged in corn meal and deep fried

I'm envious right back because as good as our seafood is , we can't come close to the Midwest for great beef.....
    BBQB, I echo your dislike of most anything raw, veggie's not withstanding. I've eaten maybe 2 raw oysters in my day. The only reason I ate any at all was to show I could do it and win a silly bet with my roommates at school. I also put a raw egg in a glass of beer and drank it which is not recommended, as well (you can get salmonella from raw or under cooked eggs). Once again it was a silly bet while under the influence at school! I gagged all 3 times. LOL!

One time many years ago during Speedweeks at a restaurant in Daytona I watched King Richard Petty eat a whole plate of oysters on the half shell. I almost gagged watching him. The doctors say it's a very bad idea to eat raw oysters. A lady who lives near us got gravely ill in Florida from eating raw oysters. They're full of bad bacteria.

We do have good beef in the Midwest and I'd miss it if we couldn't get it. However, we had dinner with friends at a little restaurant in Deland, Florida last New Years Day. There was 6 of us and we all had prime rib and every one of us said that it was the best prime rib we'd ever had. One couple in our group is like you, BBQB, connoisseur's of good beef, and they were amazed at how good it was. Generally that is not the case in Florida.

I appreciate the compliment but Im not sure if connoisseur would fit me....... I just like to eat and make stuff that tastes good to me.

I can do pork ribs, whole hog,Boston butts and chicken in my sleep because we have done so much of it over the years .....smoking beef ribs , brisket , short ribs and that kind of stuff is still tricky for me and I have to work harder and pay close attention so I don't screw it up.

My enjoyment for good food and wanting to learn how to create it came from watching and learning from my grandmother in Jacksonville Florida.....she could make the simplest things taste great and even as a youngster she never ran me out from under foot and always took the time to show me what to do if I asked the question or was curious as to what she was doing in the kitchen that smelled so good.

I've been lucky to be able to have done a little traveling with my job and have eaten at some of the finest places the US has to offer and for whatever reason I have always had a good knack at taking dishes apart, figuring out what's in them and then make them with my own twist when I get back home.......sort of like hot rodding up a motor only with food.

Quick shrimp creole

I jar of good Bloody Mary mix....we like zing zang
    1 bottle motts Clamato juice
    1 can of diced tomatoes ( or fresh canned if you have them)
    6 slices of celery finely diced....more if you like
    2 white onions finely diced
    1 red, 1green bell pepper sliced thin like matchsticks
    1 small bag of frozen okra( fresh is better but not always available)
    1 lb cooked and diced smoked sausage
    1lb peeled and deveined shrimp.
    1 cup seafood stock( clam juice will work)
    5 bay leaves.
    Sauté up the onions ,peppers and celery, add Clamato juice, tomatoes,Bloody Mary mix,smoked sausage, seafood stock and bay leaves and simmer for about 45 minutes until vegetables are tender....crank the heat up a little and add the okra and cook for anout 10 minutes and then bring the whole pot to a boil and throw in the shrimp and stir , put a lid on it turn off the heat and walk away for about 15 minutes and it's done.
    We serve it over yellow rice with crusty bread and a nice bottle of red zimfandel or a couple natty lights depending on our mood......the Bloody Mary mix has a great flavor for seafood and when it's cooked with all the rest of the ingredients it just works great.

Real from scratch shrimp creole is time consuming and not always practical because you have to stay on top of it, this version you can walk away from and do other things ( like watch the last 10 laps of a NASCAR race, lol).....you can omit everything seafood from this and use chicken stock in place of the seafood stock, v8 juice in place of the Clamato and a pound of cooked deboned chicken in place of the shrimp and have a good chicken creole dish for non seafood eaters.