Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

767 to 880 is 15% correction. While I am close to sea level at 1000ft or so, the highest correction factor I've seen on my own dyno is 4% and that's when it's like 100 degree's out side and high humidity. Where was they dyno'ing at mount everest? Even at Denver correction is typically at 10%

we have a machine shop in the area, we consider it very conservative, I've seen some 800 - 830 hp 430's , but haven't seen a wide bore on it, but I'm going to say about 850-900hp on a 450, torque is the big winner with the wide bore

Quote Originally Posted by billetbirdcage View Post
    767 to 880 is 15% correction. While I am close to sea level at 1000ft or so, the highest correction factor I've seen on my own dyno is 4% and that's when it's like 100 degree's out side and high humidity. Where was they dyno'ing at mount everest? Even at Denver correction is typically at 10%

Have you had any Chad Speier head stuff on your dyno? Do you know Chad? I see your location, that’s why I ask.
    Guerilla Racing Junkies.

Shovel on a little more coal, then when we cross white oak mountain, watch 97 roll!

The problem is the gall dang motors.

Porting to make monster flow numbers and big HP and Porting to make winning dirt late model stuff isn’t the same thing. The top builders win all of the races for a reason ....

I’m quitting and going drag racing though....
    Guerilla Racing Junkies.

Shovel on a little more coal, then when we cross white oak mountain, watch 97 roll!

My Dad always preached for years, them big numbers don’t mean anything. It has to be driveable and smooth.

One of you guys mentioned restrictor plates, they use spacers and restrictors now. Early in the night, usually let her breath. Then as the night goes on, back it off.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

Lol, I am not trying to come up with a recipe to win late model races out of my garage. I have been that drunk, but I quit drinking 2 years ago. I am still interested in engines though. I know how that goes, I got the shirt.
    Guerilla Racing Junkies.

Rocky, I know who Chad is but don't know him personally. No, I haven't dyno'ed any of his stuff as I haven't dyno'ed anything but personal stuff and even then it's been years since I've done any dyno'ing as I don't do much engine stuff anymore.
    Last edited by billetbirdcage; 10-26-2019 at 10:02 PM.

QUOTE:Porting to make monster flow numbers and big HP and Porting to make winning dirt late model stuff isn’t the same thing. The top builders win all of the races for a reason ....

Based on your on track endeavors, it appears you have experience only with that coming from a 525 crate!

By all means, keep posting your "expert" opinion though!

You still have to drive the car .... No matter how smart you are about the mechanical aspects of the race car you still have to drive it .... how many late model wins as a driver does Andy Durham or Jack Cornett have ? How many late model wins does Kevin Rumley or Ronnie Stuckey have as a driver ? How many of the guys who are good race 200 laps a year or less ?? Or maybe ask me why I haven’t been racing very often since 2005 ??

Unfortunately, I think you know why such a correction factor may have been used. It's the old SAE J:417 standard. "People standing around watching, load it hard on the upswing, apply unrealistic correction factor, look impressed" lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Necrosis View Post
    Unfortunately, I think you know why such a correction factor may have been used. It's the old SAE J:417 standard. "People standing around watching, load it hard on the upswing, apply unrealistic correction factor, look impressed" lol.
    I'm well aware, it's said but true big/unreal number do help sell engines no matter how knowledge or educated people are on the stuff. It still influences them whether they realize it consciously or not.

If something looks off, I back calculate the BSFC numbers and see if the fuel even has that energy capability in the amount of fuel the engine used. While not 100% accurate, it's a pretty good indicator when the numbers are messed with.

The other one I like is the frictional numbers or factors some dyno's have, I never understood that one? are we not measuring output of the engine at the crank? so why would you add in correction for frictional losses. Scratches head.

*Note: Not a professional, but did stay in a Holiday Inn last night

I'm well aware, it's said but true big/unreal number do help sell engines no matter how knowledge or educated people are on the stuff. It still influences them whether they realize it consciously or not.

If something looks off, I back calculate the BSFC numbers and see if the fuel even has that energy capability in the amount of fuel the engine used. While not 100% accurate, it's a pretty good indicator when the numbers are messed with.

The other one I like is the frictional numbers or factors some dyno's have, I never understood that one? are we not measuring output of the engine at the crank? so why would you add in correction for frictional losses. Scratches head.

*Note: Not a professional, but did stay in a Holiday Inn last night

I have a friend that has a BMW with a turbo the size of a shop vac on it. He really wanted to put the limited on his friend’s chassis dyno. I told him that there really wasn’t a point to do that. Yeah I could do some tuning, but it wouldn’t be an impressive number if that’s what he’s looking to see. 350, 400 maybe. I told him right before he got banned at the strip for not having a cage, we don’t race dynos man.

45 psi boost if you’re wondering 😳
    Guerilla Racing Junkies.

thats a lot of boost rocky , he has some good stuff to stand that much , i am helping a kid here locally with a stock suspension mustang with a 4.6 and a huge single turbo also , car weighs 3700 lbs and he went a 5.50 in the 1/8 last week end on 32 lbs , he is wanting to go 5.30s so were going back in it this winter and upgrade every thing possible and hoping to bump up to around 38 lbs which should get him where he wants to be.....

Quote Originally Posted by fastford View Post
    thats a lot of boost rocky , he has some good stuff to stand that much , i am helping a kid here locally with a stock suspension mustang with a 4.6 and a huge single turbo also , car weighs 3700 lbs and he went a 5.50 in the 1/8 last week end on 32 lbs , he is wanting to go 5.30s so were going back in it this winter and upgrade every thing possible and hoping to bump up to around 38 lbs which should get him where he wants to be.....
    He’s on about his 5th transmission but the motor is built to take it. Now it is anyway.
    Guerilla Racing Junkies.

We chassis dyno'd a all steel roller 358 on methanol that ran extremely well at a local import shop and it made something like 540-560 but it was pig rich and were asked to leave before we made any changes. on the account it was rattling stuff off the walls lol. The shop owner came running in the dyno cell yelling "why are they turning it so hard" on a warm up pull that was like 7200rpm. But point is i would put that combo up against any all steel 360 or less engine out their in confidence that it would hold its own

Quote Originally Posted by Jking24 View Post
    We chassis dyno'd a all steel roller 358 on methanol that ran extremely well at a local import shop and it made something like 540-560 but it was pig rich and were asked to leave before we made any changes. on the account it was rattling stuff off the walls lol. The shop owner came running in the dyno cell yelling "why are they turning it so hard" on a warm up pull that was like 7200rpm. But point is i would put that combo up against any all steel 360 or less engine out their in confidence that it would hold its own
    I might be making a little more than I said, but I don’t have proof. You guys run really good I have only ever seen your rear spoiler though...
    Guerilla Racing Junkies.

QUOTE:You still have to drive the car .... No matter how smart you are about the mechanical aspects of the race car you still have to drive it .... how many late model wins as a driver does Andy Durham or Jack Cornett have ? How many late model wins does Kevin Rumley or Ronnie Stuckey have as a driver ? How many of the guys who are good race 200 laps a year or less ?? Or maybe ask me why I haven’t been racing very often since 2005 ??

The real question is how many wins you got as a driver or consultant! They might have you beat by a race.....err,a thousand, or more!

I haven’t won a feature since 2004 .... 2005 my dad started on dialysis and my construction business got super busy , along with my only guy who helped during the week and at the track decided he wanted to start hanging out at his camp instead of working on race cars. I’ve literally got 38 laps on this XR1 car , first night a primary jet fell out in the heat and prp the distributor rotor broke in the heat. Considering I wasn’t even going to race this year and then my dad died on August 21 so I decided I was going to eldora , after eldora I decided I was finally buying another rocket. I worked 8 straight 16 hour days by myself to get that car ready for Pittsburgh only to have the jet fall out. At least let me run the car a few times before you run your mouth, A lot of people are going to be surprised in 2020 ...

Sorry about your Dad Huck.
    Guerilla Racing Junkies.