RF tierod length issue on a blue rocket

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • kcdmotorsports
    Junior Member
    • Aug 2014
    • 7

    #1

    RF tierod length issue on a blue rocket

    Over the winter I purchased a 2012 Blue Rocket that had been updated in 15’ to the new style. Coming from an older Black rocket, I had extra racks sitting around (Woodard). I ordered the combo shaft from that has both the 18 ¼ and 19 ¼ holes and installed with new bushing myself. When I assembled the car the only way I could set the RF tie rod to the rocket book spec was to have the RF outboard (+1”) and the tierod in the 18 ¼” position. When I did set it that way I could get everything to measure out but cant more the RF back inboard without throwing off the rf tierod measurement. Has anyone else ran into this? When I bought the car it was a bare chassis and I put new front suspension components per the book except the rack. Any help here would be appreciated, thank you in advance.
  • TALON75
    Senior Member
    • May 2007
    • 887

    #2
    What's the tierod length you are using, and length of the control arm .
    www.RACE91.com

    Comment

    • DEKconsulting
      Senior Member
      • Apr 2015
      • 234

      #3
      I dont understand what is being thrown off. Are u moving everything in when doin so ? What exactly is the problem

      Comment

      • DEKconsulting
        Senior Member
        • Apr 2015
        • 234

        #4
        Sorry i just reread ur post if that's the case there's an issue with ur rack or the postion of rack played who did the update

        Comment

        • DEKconsulting
          Senior Member
          • Apr 2015
          • 234

          #5
          So if u put it in the router hole of rack it gives u an extra inch of tir out correct

          Comment

          • CCHIEF
            Senior Member
            • Jul 2014
            • 399

            #6
            So you have the tie rod with the bend in it, and the bend in the correct location? (I don't recall what determines where the bend goes with each year) You are measuring hole to hole length on the RF tie rod and not OAL?

            Comment

            • DEKconsulting
              Senior Member
              • Apr 2015
              • 234

              #7
              The bend goes in toward the rack

              Comment

              • DEKconsulting
                Senior Member
                • Apr 2015
                • 234

                #8
                It rf tir rod should be 19 7/8.

                Comment

                • petesbuyin
                  Member
                  • Jan 2015
                  • 56

                  #9
                  On a blue front Rocket, the right tie rod should be 19 7/8" center to center. The right lower A-frame should be 19 1/8" center of the heim to ball joint grease fitting. The rack should be 18 1/4" for standard front. Part of the 15 update was that they moved the rack housing 1/2" to the right. When you have all these measurements right, the rack shaft will NOT be centered in the rack housing. The rack shaft will be out about 1" from the rack housing to the center of the tie rod heim on the left than on the right, about 4 1/2" on the left and 3 1/2" on the right. This allows for considerably more steering to the right than on to the left. Your black front would have been more centered and had even steering both ways. The left tie rod will be approx. 17" C to C to start with and then adjust for toe settings.
                  A droop rule is like infield tractor tires, everyone knows it's stupid, but they still keep doing it.

                  Comment

                  • Racermb
                    Junior Member
                    • Aug 2016
                    • 14

                    #10
                    i think the black front cars use a 19 3/4" rack. not an 18 1/4" like the blue fronts. this could be where the problem is.

                    Comment

                    • DEKconsulting
                      Senior Member
                      • Apr 2015
                      • 234

                      #11
                      He said he put the 18.25 and 19.25 shaft into the rack unless the housin is messing it up but doubt it

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X