Default Opinions needed on 604 Sprintcar idea

Hi,

Firstly thanks for the informative message board, taught me alot about these great engines.

Down here in australia we are looking at using the 604 chev crate engine in a sprintcar for cheap entry level class.

Do people think these will go well in the car?
    Any problems i will encounter in fitting one to the chassis? They will run on methanol and magneto.

Obviously the magneto will need to be fitted with rev limiter to stop over reving.

Just after ideas, as currently the majority of class costs have gotten out of hand

Regards

Jason

Have you thought about the CT525. There are a few open wheel classes here in the US that are looking at them. All aluminum engine with 6 bolt bottom ends...cross bolted, on alky with good headers you're looking at 550 hp or so, vs the 400 hp of the 604 crate...

1st thing to think about is are these motors available in the out back?? dose chevy sale them there?? great lil motors!! gonna need certified re-builders to keep them sealed an legal,..cheap motors but here in usa teams just spending more on shocks an light weight drive lines an such,ant no real cheap racing!

They just started a class/series with them in oregon and washington, and they work just fine.

We would reseal the engines after they arrive here and the cam has been tapped for rear drive mounting.

We have a local importer looking at stocking these engines and also found that importing engines out of the us is very easy and fairly cheap.

To solve the expensive drive line issue-

we are going to use the following rules- no titanium drive line, brakes and only twin tube non adjustable shocks (no gas or mono) allowed.

Have you figured out how to balance the crank in a sprint car? They are normally balanced with the flywheel. I understand they figured it out in Oregon, but have heard anyone say how they are actually doing it.

Check these out. They run these locally in NJ, PA, and DE and it seems to be catching on. They use 305 GM blocks with Scat cranks and rods, and spec heads. The blocks are cheap because no one else is using them.
    http://www.racesaver.com/rules.cfm?rk=1

Quote Originally Posted by stock car driver View Post
    I found out today at least one late model near me ran the 5.3 in the crate late class, he changed the cam and I think ignition the details were sketchy but he won 2-3 races against 604/602 motors.
    What track was this at? I have never seen a crate class where you could run anything but a crate motor.

I wonder how close they are in hp and tq to the 604 with the cam and ignition change?

Quote Originally Posted by 50j View Post
    I wonder how close they are in hp and tq to the 604 with the cam and ignition change?
    Not sure it won a few races.

I looked at a 2007 car craft 5.3 build and they changed cam and got to 400hp changed to cnc ported heads and 450 or 500 I dont remember I found it with a quick google search.

The ls motors are oem putting out near a 604 if you get new enough, not sure those are on ebay for 440 shipped though like low miles 5.3s.