Default When to tear down motor?

I've only raced about 15 times this year and my motor is still running good. 'knock on wood' !!! Does everyone have there motor freshened every season or what is everyone doing to determin condition? In aviation we do a oil analysis and comp test but not sure on a mild mod motor. This will be a back up motor next year if it makes it thru the next couple of races.

Oil testing is great, as well as compression and leak down. Only really works if you did all that when you put the engine into service, so you have something to compare to.

I always recommend racers re-fresh after one season because it is way cheaper than waiting it out. If you have rings, bearings and hone charges that is a lot cheaper than waiting and have to get new pistons, bore and re-build.

Plus, there is always the option of making some cheap improvements like a 5angle Serdi valve job and an new fast ramp custom camshaft designed for your head flow. Just those 2 changes can result in 25-30RWHP.

Just my opinion after 35 years of racing.

We leak ours during the season to keep an eye on things, check return oil filters, valve lash and valve springs after every race, etc...We go by the number of laps ran...1200-1300 laps at speed...If you only race 10 times a year and average 50 laps a night, there's no reason to go through that engine...IMO

with it only havin 15 nights and since its goin to be a back up i wouldnt tear it down.

I do a leak test and pull main and rod caps every 15 nights... If it looks good and leak % is in range back out it goes...
    »»*†HÀ†§ HÓ††™««

I have a 2 barrel 357 that has been going for 11 years now and its leading the points in the tour series its in. 6 championships, I would love to get that engine back.

I do an oil analysis (Blackstone Labs) at every oil change, valve spring check every so many races and compression testing at the same time as valve springs. You can check valve lash then too.

I'd recommend getting a leak down tester though. All of my checks were good but for some reason I dropped motor off to builder and he did a leak down and found a tweaked valve. Not tweaked bad but it was cheaper to replace it then than to let it break off or destroy a head.

Quote Originally Posted by CNC BLOCKS View Post
    I have a 2 barrel 357 that has been going for 11 years now and its leading the points in the tour series its in. 6 championships, I would love to get that engine back.
    So the driver and the chassis set up didnt win those races that engine did ???

Quote Originally Posted by dynoman14 View Post
    Oil testing is great, as well as compression and leak down. Only really works if you did all that when you put the engine into service, so you have something to compare to.

I always recommend racers re-fresh after one season because it is way cheaper than waiting it out. If you have rings, bearings and hone charges that is a lot cheaper than waiting and have to get new pistons, bore and re-build.

Plus, there is always the option of making some cheap improvements like a 5angle Serdi valve job and an new fast ramp custom camshaft designed for your head flow. Just those 2 changes can result in 25-30RWHP.

Just my opinion after 35 years of racing.
    Are you suggesting that the technology you are offering is superior to that of Jack Cornett or RYR or Pro power or Clements ??? Or are you claiming its better than typical garage built stuff ?? I just want to clairify ...

Quote Originally Posted by hucktyson View Post
    So the driver and the chassis set up didnt win those races that engine did ???
    He was commenting on how many years it has ran and still has enough power to win. To keep going that long, it must be a well built engine.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Rodz View Post
    He was commenting on how many years it has ran and still has enough power to win. To keep going that long, it must be a well built engine.
    Bob
    It just won one more championship a couple of weeks ago, But its being retired. Good oil, oil filters and tune ups are a big plus.

Quote Originally Posted by CNC BLOCKS View Post
    It just won one more championship a couple of weeks ago, But its being retired. Good oil, oil filters and tune ups are a big plus.
    After 11 yrs, that thing belongs in the Smithsonian.

Our motors run about 15 to 20 races a year, the heads come off every yr for rebuild and the bottom end get new rings and bearing every 2 yrs, and a new timing chain every year.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodz View Post
    After 11 yrs, that thing belongs in the Smithsonian.
    TOOOOOO Funny

Quote Originally Posted by stock car driver View Post
    Must be some seriously short series. Ive yet to see a set of rings that will last that long without wear, not to mention I know people who have worn blocks out in less time than your claiming.
    You must be doing something wrong, I have alot of engines run three long seasons with out a tear down and I am not seeing any problem with worn cylinders like you speak of.

If you know what your doing I guess an engine can go more then one season with out any ring or cylinder issues.

I didnt say I had any worn cylinders, I sell my used motors to guys I race against usually when they need freshened.

So now you have engines run 3 years without worn cylinders, but you were saying 11 years???

Ring wear isnt a issue its clearly going to happen, especially with the thin rings of today.
    Last time I saw that engine was in 2005 and it had 2 years of Sat. nite racing and 2 champion ships at that time. I am sure the rings are worn and the valve job is shot but it seems to run and run and run flawles.

Had another shop that got an engine in of mine with 8 years of racing it did have a broken main cap repaired the broken main cap rering and bearings and the builder which is a good friend of mine was amazed of the condition of the engine, Said he did not have to polish the crank and could have used the bearings over again. Said it did need rings

Here is a pic of the cylinders after 2 years of racing can't remember how much I had to hone out but it wasn't much.

I would say if your seeing alot of wear in the cylinders maybe using the wrong hone or honing proceedure or both.

Good filters, good oil and machine work they will last more then one or two season not problem.

Have you been hacked by dyno?

I already told you I HAVENT ever had any cylinder wear. You just made a whole post saying nothing, just like dyno does.

So now youve worked on that supposed 11 year old engine in 05 by my math thats 5 years.
    Try 01 my bad