Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air Pre-Filter

Default Air Pre-Filter

Looking at the foam pre-filter. Have always used Outerwear pre-filter. Anyone use the foam with good results?

I don't think there's a single carnat our track that runs foam anymore.

Default Pre-Filter

What makes you consider running a foam pre-filter or any pre-filter for that matter?

We run the outer wear bag as much to help keep the paper filter from getting bombarded by wet mud, etc..

The best thing to run is the outerwear with the top made on it too. Even if you don't run the filtered top air cleaner like just the std style spun alum ones its better because small sand will get held in the top of the elastic band around top of air cleaner and when u take it off sand flies everywhere I think the same would happen with the foam. The outerwear with the top made on is the best just don't let your hood rub it or it will tear first night out, I think that's what dave is talking about too

i run a napa paper filter with a foam cover,..made the foam cover my self,....just cant afford a RC2,..wish i could but we po' bo' racing!!
    white trash motorsports

dont race as much as id like between low funds an keeping my 2 small kids erry weekend. the R2C is defiantly better than paper an still would like to have one,keep hoping one my buddy will get a new one an hand me down there old one but thay all say there R2C still duing its job just fine...
    white trash motorsports

We still have about 25 WIX paper filters out of a huge bunch that a sponser bought us...I am meticulous about keeping crap out of the engine..They will do just fine until we run out of them...

Quote Originally Posted by stock car driver View Post
    U must race on heavy wet tracks.

I wouldn't run one of those for free, no sense giving up the 3-8 rwhp on a 604 crate as well as the dirt in the motor...
    I have ran paper for years if they were good enough for Bill Hendren they are good enough for me !!!!!

Thumbs up R2c

going on my 3rd yr with my R2C....money very well spent!!

Default Mr. Hendren

A good man was Mr. Bill Hendren.

Hendren's run R2C.

Before they ran the R2C, Hendrens ran the paper WIX filters. Bill had dynoed the WIX vs. K&N more than once and the WIX killed less power and let less dirt in the engine than the K&N..This was before the R2C was out...Yes, we run on some heavy tracks, no, we don't get dirt in our engines...Everytime we have sent one of the carbs to Willy's they have never commented on excess crud, and Steve H said the cylinder bores looked like new on the last rebuild....And we don't run a 604 and don't worry about 5 rwhp...If someone doesn't run the R2C, which is a great filter, I'll take the WIX over anything else...

I know you don't run a 604 you mention your motor hp bla bla bla every other post, lol. IF its that much rear wheel hp on a 400 hp truck motor (604) its clearly more than that on a real motor.

It makes no sense to use up 25 free paper when you can buy one good filter, make more hp and never need to replace it, but whatever its your story.
    Yeah don't for get he has a " 422 sb2.2 that makes over 800 hp

I run a R2C currently, but it made me reconsider when the know nothing's at Brooks-Shaw said the Wix paper filters are the way to go

Thanks Hucktysuck for reminding me...You are a great person

Hi Hogracer, you know what's interesting, Bill H ran back to back dyno tests on a K&N vs. the Wix filter, both clean and after race conditions. I have yet to see anyone do the same with a R2C after 50 laps vs the Wix after 50 laps as far as HP loss. Granted, you can re-use the R2c over and over again and that is a HUGE advantage, but I have not seen anything to prove there is a HP loss between the 2...

Richard Petty driving experience told this guy I know to run a kryptonitium filter for the most power, bahahaha.

I just told you on a 604 BACK to BACK with a new wix and new r2c we saw a hp difference. This was TWO weeks ago on a IMCA A mod with a 4 barrel on Alcohol. Not to mention all the dirt in the carb from wix unless you race on mud and have paved pits.
    He wants to know back to back with a DIRTY filter of each. So next week when you are at the dyno again take your dirty r2c and a dirty wix and let us know the results. I'm not trying to get into this pecker measuring contest just clearing up the mud.

Default Pre-Filter

Agreed R2C is best for dirt stopping, airflow clean and dirty, easy maintenance and overall value.

Back to the pre-filter, I'd say use it if chunky or muddy, keeping big stuff out of the filter mesh. Dry & dusty: no need for them as they stop no dust. Just a debris deflector.

U should have stayed out. I already answered that many times on here and even above in this thread.

READ slowly.. A FILTHY r2c is the same as a NEW r2c and a NEW r2c is rwhp above a Wix even on a little truck motor like a 604 which is only 306 rwhp on gas or 332 rwhp on the dyno I use on Alky....
    Now you sound like Dyno Man hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

He is starting to, isn't he?? LOL So a dirty R2c is the EXACT same as a dirty R2c..LOL Sure..I'll believe you... You do have titanium air filters...LOL